The Student Room Group

Year 9 GCSE options

Hi TSR, I'm relatively new and never had anything to post about until now. I would like some advice about my GCSE options.

So I'm choosing full course PE along with:

1.Triple Science
2.Geography
3.Computer Science
4.Religious Studies

Does it really matter that I don't have a language? As it is my weakest point I don't really want to spend 2 years doing something I'm unsure and I will probably not get a very good grade in.
All universities care about really are GCSE grades, not subjects. This means your best bet is to choose what you enjoy and are good at, not what you feel like you should!

I didn't do a language GCSE and it's not held me back at all! I got all 5 uni offers, 3 of which are Russel group. Honestly dude unless you're planning on doing a language degree at uni you'll be fine not doing it.
Sounds Good. The only harder options are geography and computing science, computing science probably the hardest one if your not to keen on them (i'm not, I'm ok with it, but no motivation for it)

As i'm in year 11, having a language matters so much; we were forced to take a language and like you, and so many people in my year, hate languages and are appalling at them.

Languages are helpful for your CV, but you really don't need them. There important because if you want an ambitious career an you fail spanish but get A* in all other subjects, it draws importance to that fail in Spanish-that is the fine line of you getting into a good uni, but it depends on the course (eg a medical course, fam you better get all 7's min!)
Languages are nothing special at all. A GCSE qualification in a language is nothing-being fluent however, boosts it A LOT. Great Choices anyways good luck!
I'm a y9 and I picked my options in y8 and my friends do different stuff to me so I kinda have some knowledge.
all i can really say is just pick what you're best at as well as you enjoy because it will get harder and you will need a lot understanding and patience. i personally picked; textiles, geography and spanish (science, english, maths, and re were compulsory). doing spanish is tough but all i really need to do is remember the rules and the words and also i dont really like spansih at all but i try my best. if you feel like you cant do languages just dont do it because you will regret it late even if teachers say you wont.
but little tip when looking for a job a lot of people do look for people who can speak multiple languages so maybe just consider that.
I took German because I was pretty much backed into a corner.
Ultimately it makes no difference. It’s cool to say you speak it a little, good for the CV, but unis and colleges couldn’t give a flying :smile:
I'm in year 9 and for my school we have to pick a language I'm not too sure why, I think if you're going to be learning those subjects for 2 years you might as well pick the ones you enjoy the most and excel at... if you really enjoy a language you might as well pick one, when picked my GCSEs I looked at the A-levels I wanted to do and what GCSEs are needed for the things I definatly want to do, for example, I think I will be doing an A-level for Physics or Astrophysics and music technology and then maybe media studies or business studies so I picked the ones which base around those, which is bascialy common sence.. but just think what you are good at and like and what you would mant to do for a levels.... have a nice day dude
Definitely always do what you enjoy - whether its GCSE, A level or Uni. If you enjoy something then you're more likely to want to do well and spend time revising it. I had to either take french or german for GCSE, even though i hated languages, and i hated french the whole time. managed to pass with a c though luckily!
Thanks everyone, I'm predicted 8s for most subjects and I am mostly on target (save for a few 7s). If I get 7s and 8s in my GCSEs I think I should be fine. I was just a bit worried as 80% of my classmates I had talked to were choosing a language and it made me slightly unsure of myself!

Quick Reply

Latest