The Student Room Group

Grade 9 Maths Paper GCSE (and other difficult GCSE questions) - 2018 thread

2019 Thread

I have been working on my paper for a while now and I am proud to announce that it is finally ready to submit.

This paper was designed for GCSE students who are aiming for a grade 9 in their GCSE's Maths exam. The questions I have created are meant to be difficult so please do not be put off by them if you cannot answer them. (Me and other members will always be happy to help in chat)

This isn't only for GCSE students. Anyone is welcome to have a try, and you can discuss your answers/workings with others in the chat. HOWEVER I must insist that if you are going to submit an answer to this thread, please use a SPOILER so that it does not ruin the question for others who are trying to work it out.

I hope you find this paper useful and feel free to distribute it as much as you would like to :smile:

I would like to give a huge thank you to @Notnek and @Lemur14 for allowing me to make this thread, it means a lot.

This thread can also be used for any questions students would like to post in here that are difficult GCSE questions since this is the main purpose of this thread.

This is the link to my website (where you can find out a bit of information about me) - http://jmaths.simplesite.com/

This is the link to the Grade 9 Paper - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uVgHK8WDO_6DVwfy2FUJKnmrb2imxnYnfX7SU-OIEIA/edit?usp=sharing

I hope you find this thread useful and good luck to everyone :smile:
Sincerely Y11_Maths

Grade 9 Maths Paper Solutions:
https://imgur.com/a/SddRmYX
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This looks great! I'm sure many students will find it useful :smile:
Original post by Notnek
This looks great! I'm sure many students will find it useful :smile:

Tried my best :smile: thank you
Honest to god, you're a lifesaver !! Ive been looking for difficult questions everywhere
Original post by laurrenmclean
Honest to god, you're a lifesaver !! Ive been looking for difficult questions everywhere

Haha I’m so glad I could satisfy your needs :smile:
Great grade 9 paper - some of those questions can make me think and I've already done my GCSE! Well done!
This is so great! Finally, I can use a source of revision that is actually helpful for this year’s GCSEs! Thanks so much! :smile:
Original post by thekidwhogames
Great grade 9 paper - some of those questions can make me think and I've already done my GCSE! Well done!

Thank you so much!
Original post by zainabmajid29
This is so great! Finally, I can use a source of revision that is actually helpful for this year’s GCSEs! Thanks so much! :smile:

It was a pleasure :smile:
@Y11_Maths the paper looks great :smile: Certainly a few questions in there I'd have to sit down and think about rather than doing quickly in my head as I would with the majority of GCSE
Lovely to have this up :smile: Really not a problem at all, thank you for doing it! Will give it a little bit as there's plenty of questions in there for people to be getting on with, then will dig out my grade 9 booklet from last year and see if there's anything decent in there :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by Lemur14
@Y11_Maths the paper looks great :smile: Certainly a few questions in there I'd have to sit down and think about rather than doing quickly in my head as I would with the majority of GCSE
Lovely to have this up :smile: Really not a problem at all, thank you for doing it! Will give it a little bit as there's plenty of questions in there for people to be getting on with, then will dig out my grade 9 booklet from last year and see if there's anything decent in there :smile:

Spoiler

That is excellent thank you so much!
Original post by Y11_Maths
That is excellent thank you so much!

Not a problem :smile: PRSOM :sad:
Original post by Lemur14
Not a problem :smile: PRSOM :sad:

Sorry :frown:
thanks the paper looks great, but how do you do simultaneous equations with y^-x, like where do i start?
Sorry :frown:

Not your fault lol, it's a result of me not having repped enough other people...which is because I'm usually on my phone, and the old app doesn't have rep lol
Original post by Lemur14
Not your fault lol, it's a result of me not having repped enough other people...which is because I'm usually on my phone, and the old app doesn't have rep lol

Haha ok
Original post by Gent2324
thanks the paper looks great, but how do you do simultaneous equations with y^-x, like where do i start?

Maybe try solving for x and y first with the other equations?

Well you must determine what the value of both y and x are first. Try rearranging your first simultaneous equation in the form y=...
Well you must determine what the value of both y and x are first. Try rearranging your first simultaneous equation in the form y=...

ah ok, is that the hardest bit or is the -x bit harder? im saying this because im assuming theres some catch to make it really hard or something that i cant see yet?
ah ok, is that the hardest bit or is the -x bit harder? im saying this because im assuming theres some catch to make it really hard or something that i cant see yet?

The hardest part is finding out what your values are

Quick Reply

Latest