The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

smileitcouldbeworse
how come?

:smile: well now I don't know...if I took Physics it would mean no Further Maths, and I could take it at other Universities...if I took Philosophy plus either Biology or Physics, would it count against me at Oxbridge compared to taking both the science subjects?

Count against you for which subject?

For physical sciences: do Maths/F Maths/Physics/Chem
For biological sciences: do Maths/Bio/Chem/whatever
For law: do whatever, but probably good to have maths and an essay subject
For medicine: do Maths/Bio/Chem + probably Philosophy for contrast. Don't do F Maths.
Excalibur
Count against you for which subject?

For physical sciences: do Maths/F Maths/Physics/Chem
For biological sciences: do Maths/Bio/Chem/whatever
For law: do whatever, but probably good to have maths and an essay subject
For medicine: do Maths/Bio/Chem + probably Philosophy for contrast. Don't do F Maths.

Well anything under NatSci I guess. I mean it looks like for NatSci all science/matahs subjects would be best, but for Law/Medicine maybe Philosophy could be more relevant or whatever and I would prefer it more. If I took Physics & Philosophy, would my not having Biology be bad if I decided I wanted to do Medicine or genetics or something like that?
^ Well you would be very limited in the medical schools you apply to without Biology but it can be done. You would probably have to do the AS biology in year 13 if you decided on Medicine though.

If you wanted to do Genetics or Biomedical science or anything related then Biology is a must really.
smileitcouldbeworse
Well anything under NatSci I guess. I mean it looks like for NatSci all science/matahs subjects would be best, but for Law/Medicine maybe Philosophy could be more relevant or whatever and I would prefer it more. If I took Physics & Philosophy, would my not having Biology be bad if I decided I wanted to do Medicine or genetics or something like that?

Well, if you apply for NatSci do you think you'd apply for biological as opposed to physical? If you're going to apply for biological, then you can just do maths/bio/chem/philosophy and you're also sorted for medicine/biosciences/law.

As ßored said I wouldn't really count on medicine/biosciences without biology.

I guess Maths & F Maths/Bio/Chem/Physics would cover all your options; it's just that it may be nice to have an essay subject for law & for contrast for med.
Reply 24
smileitcouldbeworse
how come?

:smile: well now I don't know...if I took Physics it would mean no Further Maths, and I could take it at other Universities...if I took Philosophy plus either Biology or Physics, would it count against me at Oxbridge compared to taking both the science subjects?

Well it's only my opinion I guess, but it's just the best out of all the subjects :smile: In other subjects you get to learn some things but in Physics you learn about EVERYTHING (well you don't at A level really but it's deffo a great subject, well worth taking)
Excalibur
Well, if you apply for NatSci do you think you'd apply for biological as opposed to physical? If you're going to apply for biological, then you can just do maths/bio/chem/philosophy and you're also sorted for medicine/biosciences/law.

As ßored said I wouldn't really count on medicine/biosciences without biology.

I guess Maths & F Maths/Bio/Chem/Physics would cover all your options; it's just that it may be nice to have an essay subject for law & for contrast for med.

I don't know...both!Yeah I do kind of really want to take Philosophy...but I don't know I mean I'm like someone who'll put up with stuff if it'll help them in the future you know?Maybe Biology because if after year 12 I decide I want to do Physicsy stuff I can just carry on with maths and do further maths because to be honest I really like the fexibility NatSci gives you...at least if i chose Biology I'd be sorted if I choose Medicine or something I guess!
ok i'm going to take biology...now i just have choose out of Physics and Philosophy!I mean you can still get into Law with all science subjects, but would Philosophy help me a lot more with getting into Law than Physics?
Reply 27
it isn't really such a big problem, u can always do both philosophy and physics are great subjects to study together and for someon aspirng for oxbridge the workload shouldn't be too much you should also try and do your a level maths in a year, if you decide against a physical science atuni you can continue with the other 4,
Reply 28
Fairly obvious that biology and philosophy will be the most appropriate for "keeping your options open".

The sciences will allow you to have a strong application for medicine and indeed other courses like biological science. And the philosophy will add a bit of variety, and a decent essay based subject is kind of required for law.
Biology & Philosophy!
Reply 30
No-one can really decide for you. If you've decided on taking biology that's 3 Science/Maths subjects - do you want your fourth subject to complement or contrast it? I took Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths, they go well together and quite a lot overlaps - particularly mechanics in Maths and Physics. Have you considered going into patent law? You do a science degree first then after further training become a patent attorney.
hey me again :smile: ok I'm taking Chem, Bio and Maths, then for no.4, not physics because lately I've been really interested in Law so I kind of want an essay subject. Any advice on which one out of Philosophy and English Lit? (Only, well maybe Eng.Lit. would be better if I'm hoping for Oxbridge.)
I'd personally say English Lit would be the better option in this case. It would be the perfect combination for either Medicine or Law.
Reply 33
Definitely Biology for Med, it doesn't really need Physics. You'll be ok for Law with Philosophy. And if you have Chem and Bio, you can do pretty much anything Sciency.

Latest