The Student Room Group

A level sociology or english lit?

I'm currently choosing my a levels and I already have the idea in my head that I want to do a job in the psychology field, mainly clinical psychology. I've currently chosen biology & psychology a levels and I may choose chemistry too but i dont know. is it really useful for that field? for my fourth subject, i was thinking of taking up sociology or english lit. which one? or should i drop chem and take up these two?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by username6548117
I'm currently choosing my a levels and I already have the idea in my head that I want to do a job in the psychology field, mainly clinical psychology. I've currently chosen biology & psychology a levels and I may choose chemistry too but i dont know. is it really useful for that field? for my fourth subject, i was thinking of taking up sociology or english lit. which one? or should i drop chem and take up these two?

To get into clincal psychology (good luck), you would need a doctorate in Clincial Psychology, and in order to do that you need at least a BPS accredited degree in psychology.

BPS accredited degrees in psychology generally don't require any specific subjects at A Level, just sufficient grades (plus the personal statement or extra bits and bobs as per the uni's request). There are some degrees that require specific subjects, but these are more or less limited to psychology or biology + 2 other A Levels. In other words, so long you have either psychology, biology, or both + whatever remaining A Levels, you're fine to apply for any psychology degree in the country so long you get the grades.

If you want, you can drop chemistry and take up either sociology or lit; drop both chemistry and psychology, and take up sociology and lit; or you can keep either psychology or biology then do any random 2 other subjects such as philosophy, computer science, physics, maths, or further maths. The world's your oyster.

In terms of content, I don't think there is that much chemistry in a psychology degree. If there's any relevance, it's likely related to the cognitive psychology/neuroscience modules, and they usually don't go into that much depth in chemistry. You might want a second opinion from people who have done such as BPS degree though.

There are degrees in psychotherapyand counselling if you like, but even they don't require specific subjects for their degrees (not that you really need one to get into the field).

Quick Reply

Latest