The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
First of all, well done!! It all depends what you would like your university life to look like. I went to St Andrews and hated it. I don't want this to put you off, however, because a lot of people go and love it. I'm definitely a city person who likes to go out etc. I chose between St A, Glasgow, Leeds and Edinburgh and ended up choosing St A because of its good reputation/academics. I regret doing this as you can get a good degree anywhere so it is important to think about what kind of place suits you better: a lively city or a quiet town in the middle of nowhere. I would also add that I found the stereotype of St Andrews to be completely true - there is a lot of social hierarchy, cliques and fancy (aka. pretentious) balls. Edinburgh and other cities are a lot more down to earth, fun, exciting and student-y (if you get what I mean). I have been at St A for 2 years and have applied to transfer to either Edinburgh or Glasgow so I can be somewhere a bit more friendly and lively. This is my experience but other people do love it and find that the town suits them perfectly. Good luck!
Original post by nth8998
First of all, well done!! It all depends what you would like your university life to look like. I went to St Andrews and hated it. I don't want this to put you off, however, because a lot of people go and love it. I'm definitely a city person who likes to go out etc. I chose between St A, Glasgow, Leeds and Edinburgh and ended up choosing St A because of its good reputation/academics. I regret doing this as you can get a good degree anywhere so it is important to think about what kind of place suits you better: a lively city or a quiet town in the middle of nowhere. I would also add that I found the stereotype of St Andrews to be completely true - there is a lot of social hierarchy, cliques and fancy (aka. pretentious) balls. Edinburgh and other cities are a lot more down to earth, fun, exciting and student-y (if you get what I mean). I have been at St A for 2 years and have applied to transfer to either Edinburgh or Glasgow so I can be somewhere a bit more friendly and lively. This is my experience but other people do love it and find that the town suits them perfectly. Good luck!

Thank you this was super helpful! Thats exactly what I was afraid of with St. Andrews, the whole close-nit thing is lovely on paper but in reality ill be comming from a huge state sixth form and i was worried that i wouldnt really fit in at St.A. As soon as i visited edinburgh i had this pull to it, i just love the city! so i think ill firm edinburgh.. but thank you very much for your advice and perspective!
Original post by screamer18
Thank you this was super helpful! Thats exactly what I was afraid of with St. Andrews, the whole close-nit thing is lovely on paper but in reality ill be comming from a huge state sixth form and i was worried that i wouldnt really fit in at St.A. As soon as i visited edinburgh i had this pull to it, i just love the city! so i think ill firm edinburgh.. but thank you very much for your advice and perspective!

Have an excellent Welcome Week in September if you do join us :smile:
Original post by Blue_Cow
Have an excellent Welcome Week in September if you do join us :smile:

Sounds awesome! what sort of stuff goes on? im really excited. Also, what accomodation would you reccomend? I really like the look of Pollock halls but im a vegetarian, would this be a problem? Thank you for your help!
Sounds awesome! what sort of stuff goes on? im really excited. Also, what accomodation would you reccomend? I really like the look of Pollock halls but im a vegetarian, would this be a problem? Thank you for your help!

Shouldn't be an issue. They'll serve up vegetarian meals too.
what are you studying? That may help with your decision, I would go for st Andrews If I were you, although both are amazing, as St Andrews is smaller, it means professors etc can dedicate more time to helping you as there are less students, it also means more access to facilities. St Andrews has roughly 7300 students whereas Edinburgh has 33000

Original post by johnmack
Hi, I've been offered unconditional entry to both St Andrews and Edinburgh. These universities are my main two choices and I honestly wasn't expecting to receive an unconditional from both. Of course I am pleased with this but it leaves me in an annoying situation, I'm not sure which one to accept. They both have their pros and cons. The way I see it, St Andrews is the more prestigious university but it's expensive, small and sort of out of the way. Meanwhile, Edinburgh is still a great university and on top of that is located in a big city with a lot to do but it'd feel a shame to throw away an unconditional from St Andrews which is sort of seen as the top uni in Scotland. Honestly, I'm posting just to hear the thoughts of those currently in Edinburgh or St Andrews on my situation or even the thoughts of those in neither but maybe found themselves in a similar situation with different unis in the past. Thanks.

PS, this is my first ever post on the student room so go easy on me
if it helps, my cousin studied medicine at st Andrews and she loved it, as ST Andrews is smaller, professors etc can dedicate more time to helping you and assisting, there is also more access to facilities as st Andrews has roughly 7300 students and Edinburgh has around 33000

Hi! was hoping i could join the discussion, I have offers from Edinburgh and from St. Andrews for medicine, they are both the same offer and both seem like amazing places to study. In desperate need of advice on which firm and if people that have either studied medicine at either or have lived in either id really appreciate hearing your advice.
Thank you! X
Can I ask what you guys ended up choosing and how happy you are with the decision? I’m in a similar position now, having to pick between st Andrews and Edinburgh for medicine.
If it’s good enough for Prince William and Kate it’ll be good enough for u, St. Andrews is an hour train journey away from Edinburgh so you can still enjoy the big city life and go there as you please and there is loads more to do there than u will think have u been to both open days, which one did u feel u belong at most?
Reply 29
Hi, I've been offered unconditional entry to both St Andrews and Edinburgh. These universities are my main two choices and I honestly wasn't expecting to receive an unconditional from both. Of course I am pleased with this but it leaves me in an annoying situation, I'm not sure which one to accept. They both have their pros and cons. The way I see it, St Andrews is the more prestigious university but it's expensive, small and sort of out of the way. Meanwhile, Edinburgh is still a great university and on top of that is located in a big city with a lot to do but it'd feel a shame to throw away an unconditional from St Andrews which is sort of seen as the top uni in Scotland. Honestly, I'm posting just to hear the thoughts of those currently in Edinburgh or St Andrews on my situation or even the thoughts of those in neither but maybe found themselves in a similar situation with different unis in the past. Thanks.

What are your predicted grades?? becuase im thinking of applying.

Hi, just wondering which uni you chose in the end? I'm in the same situation myself.
I chose St Andrews over Edinburgh.

It was either Law at Edinburgh or IR at St A, and it’s apparently really difficult to get into IR. I’m starting in September, you seem to get more of a community in St A and there is still a lot of nights Iv been told, but it’s just less intense. I’m quite an intense party guy so will be going to Dundee as much as I can (25 mins bus) and Edinburgh as much as I can, where you get proper night clubs, and there is buses all night long to Dundee. I am a complete city person and want to live in London when I’m older, so I’m gonna Spend the rest of my life in a city anyway, might as well get a slightly different experience to the rest of the cohort going to RG/good unis. Gives you Plus apparently Edinburgh uni is really in personal with its teaching and degrees, and they neglect you slightly. And actually although St A is smaller, more often so people can feel isolated in Edinburgh because it’s a large city and they can feel lost. The unique experience also gives you a good taking point in interviews.

Hope this has helped
Original post by SootyGirl
Can I ask what you guys ended up choosing and how happy you are with the decision? I’m in a similar position now, having to pick between st Andrews and Edinburgh for medicine.

Hi, can I ask which uni you chose? I'm in the same boat right now and I can't decide

What offer did you accept in the end and do you think it was a good choice?!
Reply 34
Original post by Anonymous
I chose St Andrews over Edinburgh.

It was either Law at Edinburgh or IR at St A, and it’s apparently really difficult to get into IR. I’m starting in September, you seem to get more of a community in St A and there is still a lot of nights Iv been told, but it’s just less intense. I’m quite an intense party guy so will be going to Dundee as much as I can (25 mins bus) and Edinburgh as much as I can, where you get proper night clubs, and there is buses all night long to Dundee. I am a complete city person and want to live in London when I’m older, so I’m gonna Spend the rest of my life in a city anyway, might as well get a slightly different experience to the rest of the cohort going to RG/good unis. Gives you Plus apparently Edinburgh uni is really in personal with its teaching and degrees, and they neglect you slightly. And actually although St A is smaller, more often so people can feel isolated in Edinburgh because it’s a large city and they can feel lost. The unique experience also gives you a good taking point in interviews.

Hope this has helped

hiya,
As you can only submit one pstatement, how did you apply for law and IR? im applying for history and politics but also history and philosophy in some places and even tats challenging to merge into one statement.
-flo x

Latest