Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    First of all, well done!! It all depends what you would like your university life to look like. I went to St Andrews and hated it. I don't want this to put you off, however, because a lot of people go and love it. I'm definitely a city person who likes to go out etc. I chose between St A, Glasgow, Leeds and Edinburgh and ended up choosing St A because of its good reputation/academics. I regret doing this as you can get a good degree anywhere so it is important to think about what kind of place suits you better: a lively city or a quiet town in the middle of nowhere. I would also add that I found the stereotype of St Andrews to be completely true - there is a lot of social hierarchy, cliques and fancy (aka. pretentious) balls. Edinburgh and other cities are a lot more down to earth, fun, exciting and student-y (if you get what I mean). I have been at St A for 2 years and have applied to transfer to either Edinburgh or Glasgow so I can be somewhere a bit more friendly and lively. This is my experience but other people do love it and find that the town suits them perfectly. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nth8998)
    First of all, well done!! It all depends what you would like your university life to look like. I went to St Andrews and hated it. I don't want this to put you off, however, because a lot of people go and love it. I'm definitely a city person who likes to go out etc. I chose between St A, Glasgow, Leeds and Edinburgh and ended up choosing St A because of its good reputation/academics. I regret doing this as you can get a good degree anywhere so it is important to think about what kind of place suits you better: a lively city or a quiet town in the middle of nowhere. I would also add that I found the stereotype of St Andrews to be completely true - there is a lot of social hierarchy, cliques and fancy (aka. pretentious) balls. Edinburgh and other cities are a lot more down to earth, fun, exciting and student-y (if you get what I mean). I have been at St A for 2 years and have applied to transfer to either Edinburgh or Glasgow so I can be somewhere a bit more friendly and lively. This is my experience but other people do love it and find that the town suits them perfectly. Good luck!
    Thank you this was super helpful! Thats exactly what I was afraid of with St. Andrews, the whole close-nit thing is lovely on paper but in reality ill be comming from a huge state sixth form and i was worried that i wouldnt really fit in at St.A. As soon as i visited edinburgh i had this pull to it, i just love the city! so i think ill firm edinburgh.. but thank you very much for your advice and perspective!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by screamer18)
    Thank you this was super helpful! Thats exactly what I was afraid of with St. Andrews, the whole close-nit thing is lovely on paper but in reality ill be comming from a huge state sixth form and i was worried that i wouldnt really fit in at St.A. As soon as i visited edinburgh i had this pull to it, i just love the city! so i think ill firm edinburgh.. but thank you very much for your advice and perspective!
    Have an excellent Welcome Week in September if you do join us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Have an excellent Welcome Week in September if you do join us
    Sounds awesome! what sort of stuff goes on? im really excited. Also, what accomodation would you reccomend? I really like the look of Pollock halls but im a vegetarian, would this be a problem? Thank you for your help!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Sounds awesome! what sort of stuff goes on? im really excited. Also, what accomodation would you reccomend? I really like the look of Pollock halls but im a vegetarian, would this be a problem? Thank you for your help!
    Shouldn't be an issue. They'll serve up vegetarian meals too.

ReputationRep:
    what are you studying? That may help with your decision, I would go for st Andrews If I were you, although both are amazing, as St Andrews is smaller, it means professors etc can dedicate more time to helping you as there are less students, it also means more access to facilities. St Andrews has roughly 7300 students whereas Edinburgh has 33000

(Original post by johnmack)
    Hi, I've been offered unconditional entry to both St Andrews and Edinburgh. These universities are my main two choices and I honestly wasn't expecting to receive an unconditional from both. Of course I am pleased with this but it leaves me in an annoying situation, I'm not sure which one to accept. They both have their pros and cons. The way I see it, St Andrews is the more prestigious university but it's expensive, small and sort of out of the way. Meanwhile, Edinburgh is still a great university and on top of that is located in a big city with a lot to do but it'd feel a shame to throw away an unconditional from St Andrews which is sort of seen as the top uni in Scotland. Honestly, I'm posting just to hear the thoughts of those currently in Edinburgh or St Andrews on my situation or even the thoughts of those in neither but maybe found themselves in a similar situation with different unis in the past. Thanks.

PS, this is my first ever post on the student room so go easy on me

ReputationRep:
    if it helps, my cousin studied medicine at st Andrews and she loved it, as ST Andrews is smaller, professors etc can dedicate more time to helping you and assisting, there is also more access to facilities as st Andrews has roughly 7300 students and Edinburgh has around 33000

Hi! was hoping i could join the discussion, I have offers from Edinburgh and from St. Andrews for medicine, they are both the same offer and both seem like amazing places to study. In desperate need of advice on which firm and if people that have either studied medicine at either or have lived in either id really appreciate hearing your advice.
    Thank you! X

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.