The Student Room Group

I don't know how to prepare for uni...

... I'm planning to go to uni next year (age 17).

I've never owned/used a card of any kind e.g. bank, oyster/bus (idk what you call anything). When and what should I get?

I don't really want to drive but I guess it's something I'll have to do - when do I learn?

Never had a job, I don't really like the idea of working whilst doing my A-Levels - is it frowned upon if I choose not to work?

My passport is expired - should I renew it? When should I do so?

So nervous..
Original post by Anonymous
... I'm planning to go to uni next year (age 17).

I've never owned/used a card of any kind e.g. bank, oyster/bus (idk what you call anything). When and what should I get?

I don't really want to drive but I guess it's something I'll have to do - when do I learn?

Never had a job, I don't really like the idea of working whilst doing my A-Levels - is it frowned upon if I choose not to work?

My passport is expired - should I renew it? When should I do so?

So nervous..

As soon as you can, I guess. If you're studying in London then you'll need to apply for an Oyster card. Id not in London, see what travel passes there are and have a think about whether you'll use one enough to justify Gettig it. For example, at my uni it's tricky to get around without cycling but there are decent buses, with a £200 annual pass, but is a waste of money if you live on campus.

Driving - younger the better, supposedly. But don't feel pressure to learn at that age, especially if it's going to cost a lot - I know people who have done their test in their second/third year at uni.

Frowned upon to not work... not really. Depends on how your family feel about it.

Expired passport.. not sure.

I was afraid of respobility and growing up etc, in my 4th year of uni I'm still irresponsible and coping so... :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest