The Student Room Group

Any bloke here who shaves with a straight razor?

Just how do you do it? I cut myself badly the first time I tried to shave my stubble. Even with tonnes of shaving cream. What's the right way to do it?
Reply 1
Not sure what you mean by a straight razor ? Are you talking about a cut-throat razor?
Original post by JaseyB
Not sure what you mean by a straight razor ? Are you talking about a cut-throat razor?

let me google that for you
Reply 3
Original post by personages101
let me google that for you

I just googled straight razor and it looks like what you call a straight razor is what I call a cut-throat razor ( probably an older name for it).
It's a very dangerous implement and needs to be handled with great care best way to see how to use it properly would be to visit a barbers and ask them to show you how as most of them are well trained in using this implement. At 1 time they would use it to get your neck hairs off - nowadays they seem to be scared of them.
Anyways besides that a very steady hand and apply very light pressure to your face with it, also tilt the blade so it's at roughly a 30to45degree angle horizontally if that makes sense like the entire length of the edge of the blade should be touching your skin but at roughly a 30to45degree angle and not a 90degree angle.
That's the best way I can describe it.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Just how do you do it? I cut myself badly the first time I tried to shave my stubble. Even with tonnes of shaving cream. What's the right way to do it?

me with no shaving cream

Quick Reply

Latest