The Student Room Group

Gcse

I am doing 6 gcses: English lit, English language, maths, chemistry, history and french.

My first exam starts on the 15th of May and finishes early June. It’s now April, I got d’s in my mocks, am I screwed? I’m naturally clever however my memory isn’t great which isn’t fortunate as gcses are completely based on memory.

Does anyone have any revision tips of any idea of what grades I’m able to achieve and if I have left it to late.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by stress11
I am doing 6 gcses: English lit, English language, maths, chemistry, history and french.

My first exam starts on the 15th of May and finishes early June. It’s now April, I got d’s in my mocks, am I screwed? I’m naturally clever however my memory isn’t great which isn’t fortunate as gcses are completely based on memory.

Does anyone have any revision tips of any idea of what grades I’m able to achieve and if I have left it to late.

Thanks!

If you don't start now you'll never know if it's too late or not.

I know people who really kickstarted their revision in the Easter holidays and they did very well. Make use of the time off from school that you have to get some great work done.

I'd recommend printing off the exam board specifications for what you are studying (except for the Englishes). They are available online and list everything you need to know. Go through and RAG rate them (Red - not got a clue, Amber - needs more practice, Green - exam ready!). Then start by revising all Red topics, then Amber's followed by doing a past paper. Then RAG rate again based on what you got right/wrong and the cycle restarts.

Good luck! English Language is tough to revise for. If you know writing structures to answer in you can't do anything more other than to practice and pray for a nice question paper. For Literature you need to know quotes. Divide each text into key themes and make mindmaps or Flashcards of quotes which relate to this theme.

Making timelines of key events and sticking them around your house might help for History. You could stick quote mindmaps around too!

Hope this has helped!
Original post by stress11

Thanks!

I’d just like to start and say that I don’t think anyone is “naturally clever”. It’s not about that, it’s about working hard: if you think that you are already clever and don’t revise then you are getting complacent. I’ve been in the same boat of having that mindset.

For revision, use a range of methods rather than just 1, such as watching videos on the topic, doing an activity on it (e.g. for maths watch a video on it, do a question on it, try again). I do recommend flash cards to test your knowledge- e.g. “what is an ionic bond”/“an ionic bond is the bond between a metal and a non metal”

For the english lit, I’d recommend re reading your texts. You really need to know the texts to get high grades (lol I don’t and I’m not on the 8 I so desperately want). If you’re an auditory learner, maybe listen to the e-books/watch the plays, as it will help you remember the lines.

For English Language, if you’re doing AQA lemme know I have some good resources for it
Hi stress11.

If I'm completely honest I think you might as well give up and become an exotic dancer.

Love from

Moses
Reply 4
My mum won’t let me she said I need to get at least 5 c’s in my GCSEs first

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending