The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

I hate being alive...

I'm posting this because I need somewhere where I can let this all out, without being judged. I suffer from Depression and OCD, both of which like to make my life hell most days. My bouts of OCD come and go, but I constantly feel depressed (medication hasn't worked for me either). On the surface my life is pretty good, I have good family/friends, I do well at school and will be going to uni this year, but I am sick of everyone telling me how grateful I should be for everything I have and have achieved. Inside I am insecure and lonely, and I hate everyday more than the last. Being alive feels like a burden. Nothing seems to be getting better, and I just feel like there is no solution to this. It's weird because as a child I was happy and full of energy. Now I spend most of my days in my room, I have no energy to do anything and it's making me sick.
I hope others can relate with how I'm feeling and maybe have advice on how to deal with being at such a low point. Any advice would be appreciated, and I apologise if this is too self-pitying.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm posting this because I need somewhere where I can let this all out, without being judged. I suffer from Depression and OCD, both of which like to make my life hell most days. My bouts of OCD come and go, but I constantly feel depressed (medication hasn't worked for me either). On the surface my life is pretty good, I have good family/friends, I do well at school and will be going to uni this year, but I am sick of everyone telling me how grateful I should be for everything I have and have achieved. Inside I am insecure and lonely, and I hate everyday more than the last. Being alive feels like a burden. Nothing seems to be getting better, and I just feel like there is no solution to this. It's weird because as a child I was happy and full of energy. Now I spend most of my days in my room, I have no energy to do anything and it's making me sick.
I hope others can relate with how I'm feeling and maybe have advice on how to deal with being at such a low point. Any advice would be appreciated, and I apologise if this is too self-pitying.

I have the same problem except without ocd what help a bit with me is I try to distract myself but I have social anxiety and anger issues so I can’t distract myself with people so instead I use TV to cope with it
Reply 2
Original post by Rosiline
I have the same problem except without ocd what help a bit with me is I try to distract myself but I have social anxiety and anger issues so I can’t distract myself with people so instead I use TV to cope with it

Same here. I haven't got depression, or not bad enough I needed medical help, but I still feel like life is a bit pointless. Most of my time is spend in my studio on my PC or sleeping.
I also dislike being alive. It annoys me - I never asked to be born. I think the world is a pretty unhappy place with lots of negative things.

I don't understand why people are so keen to have children and bring them into this world. But then again, I guess most people are happy with their life, unlike me.
Reply 4
I hope you guys sooner or later are able to independently come to the realisation that happiness is a state of mind. When one is in a depressive state of mind, it may feel as though nothing is worth the effort anymore; the problem with this is that the feeling of numbness/emptiness is not a reflection of your inner self, but it is rather a product of a negative/apathetic state of mind. The biggest challenge is to accept that there is a fundamental problem with your mindset, followed by having the will to do whatever you can in your capacity to try to change it.
All I can say is it will get better

I hated being alive once. I certainly don't LOVE my life to pieces but I'm certainly more content with being alive. It easier now. Give it time, it will get better. People said that to me and they were right so now I'm saying it to you

This too shall pass
Reply 6
Are any of you suffering from stress also ? - If it's depression without stress then you need to find something to enjoy on a regular basis - something that floats your boat gives you a reason to get up / go out etc. Could something as simple as a walk through the local park or field or woods or something as intricate as dance/music classes.
Trying relaxation techniques things like meditation I think can help with these issues somewhat, try to find 2 meditational pieces 1 for relaxation and 1 that is aimed to changing your mindset into positive thinking.
For those who feel drained and tired as long as you have no medical issues barring your depression, perhaps you need to look at your diet - are you getting enough vitamins and minerals believe me they make a difference.
Reply 7

I'm exactly the same.... was a loud and fun kid, now I'm quiet...
Reply 8
It might seem like life is horrible and there is no point but that's not true. Right now if I look out the window it is cloudy and raining. This seems like a bad thing because I can't go out without getting wet or there is no sun. HOWEVER we need the rain to make the flowers and trees grow etc. And we need plants for animals to live and so on. Basically everything we perceive as negative is not, it's just life. You need to be able to look at yourself and think "wow I'm amazing". Because you exist, you are an individual person and that itself is an achievement.
Reply 9

I can definitely relate with this quite a lot. You're not alone in how you feel. I found hobbies that I could engage with despite feeling low, things that took little effort and didn't require me to go outside. That definitely helped me during my low points to feel some types of accomplishment and productivity that helped me to feel slightly better about my situation.

Have you tried counselling? Waiting lists can be long but it can be very helpful too.

You are not alone do not worry about that. I am exactly like you and relate to everything you said and I'm sure a lot of other people do too. We never truly know what a person is feeling on the inside all we ever see is the outside which hides the truth.
Seek out CBT, it's the best course of action, OCD is chronic and will not ever go away. I have had the condition for years, and know just about everything about it.
physical exercise is really helpful for these kind of problems. just getting out in the open air and walking for 30 minutes a day will improve your mood no end.

hey, i hope your ok.
just a reminder you are prefect, amazing a blessing from god and yes life is hard, yes your on your bed and dont want to get up and do anything, that how i am feeling i feel like if i talk i am a mistake and i do suffer from depression and its hard i just want to live my life but i am always crying people think there is something wrong with me but u know wha you need to do clear your mind and chill take a warm bath watch your favorite show my one is glimore girls or the movie emola holmes and wednesday amazing icl but u have a fun day you are prefect amazing outstanding and looking fine asf u go i believe in you honestly this is what i need everyday someone there for me and listen to some motivational speeches yes you might think it might not work but try it it promise it will help.
love you to bits have fun.
now i have to find my way around this life thing.

Latest