The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by allie.moe
Please don't say that my GCSEs were way lower :frown: Im also going to take a gap year and then applying to medicine

Sorry, didn't mean to make anyone feel bad! :colondollar:

If you feel that your GCSEs were way lower, then look for unis that look more at your personal statement like Bristol, or ones that look at your UKCAT or BMAT scores. Honestly, GCSEs didn't really matter as much as I expected them too, I don't know if that's changed now!

Honestly, if you love medicine and it's a job you feel that you will enjoy then yeah, go for it! I honestly think now that taking a gap year and reapplying was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
Original post by bossun
Could you please give details on how your End of Year Exams which take place In May/June are structured? Are they a mix of MCQs/Short-Answers. Do you have Essay Questions. Give their relative weightings as well
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are a mix of Short answer questions from all of the modules covered, multiple choice questions and data interpretation. There is also a separate spotter exam done on the computer which is multiple choice and is usually on anatomy covered throughout the year, but can also have a few other questions like calculations. I haven't taken the exam yet, so I'm not 100% sure of the weightings, but will let you know when I find out. Happily, there aren't any essay questions!
Tips and tricks for getting As and A*s for A-level maths,biology and chemistry?
What are your opinions on the Whitechapel campus? I hate it and much prefer Mile End tbh.
Reply 24
Please can I have your whatsapp contact....i have a lot to ask.
Original post by Anonymous1502
Tips and tricks for getting As and A*s for A-level maths,biology and chemistry?

I guess for me what worked for Maths and Chemistry was practice, practice, practice. Using past papers ad mark schemes really does help as the mark scheme has the methods you are expected to use to answer the questions and if you adopt those, although there may be easier options, you are bound to get it right.

For biology again I would recommend using the exam board's textbook which your school should use usually, but also use mark schemes and past papers. The mark schemes have the keywords you have to use and these come up again and again, so I would recommend using past papers and mark schemes as much as you can.

Good luck with exams! I'm sure you'll do it!!!
Original post by Mesopotamian.
What are your opinions on the Whitechapel campus? I hate it and much prefer Mile End tbh.

I guess Mile End is a much bigger campus catering to more students. The library is much bigger and there are a lot more spaces to study as well as chill. There are also a few more restaurants.

The gym and other sports facilities is also at the Mile End campus which makes it more difficult for students from Whitechapel, but it is just a tube away which isn't that bad.

Whitechapel caters to a much smaller student cohort, so I guess the large number of facilities aren't needed. The library is much smaller and the whole campus just feels lonely at times, but some people may prefer it over Mile End as it may feel overwhelming.

I don't mind the Whitechapel campus, although it can feel small at times, when it isn't busy, it's fine.
Original post by Odili
Please can I have your whatsapp contact....i have a lot to ask.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!
Original post by I'm a Fungi
I'm a first year medical student at Bart's and the London. Ask me anything about the uni, student life, exams and whatever...

Go ahead, fire away !!!!

Hey! Since you took a gap year - did you resit anything?
It's just that I feel I may have to resit :frown: but want to go to barts
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 29
Any idea on what sort of extra curricular activities to go to whilst at school that will benefit your application?
Original post by sienna2266
Hey! Since you took a gap year - did you resit anything?
It's just that I feel I may have to resit :frown: but want to go to barts

I personally didn't resit anything in my gap year because I felt that my results were fine.

I did resit one of my Chemistry papers in Year 13 which they allow.

I'm not exactly sure but they do usually say that you have to sit your exams in a two-year period, being Year 12 and 13, but you might have to contact them as they might allow resits in a gap year.
Original post by Qadeer1
Any idea on what sort of extra curricular activities to go to whilst at school that will benefit your application?

I played the Piano and also played Cricket for my school team. I did some volunteering, but not a lot (you really don't have to mention for how long!)

That's about it really!

Just do what you enjoy and be prepared to talk about it!
How was the interview at Barts? Like the questions that were asked and the overall setting? Just any advice you could give when going to the interview
Original post by Sinewave17
How was the interview at Barts? Like the questions that were asked and the overall setting? Just any advice you could give when going to the interview

Honestly, I can't remember the questions. I'm one of those people who goes into an exam/interview and just forgets everything!

But all I can say is, just know yourself. Know what you've accomplished and what they would mean to the medical school. Know about the medical school and any societes/sports you'd be interested in joining.

Just don't forget to research everything on the uni. What you like about the course, the course structure etc.

Remember to look into the article they gave you in as much detail and just think of any questions at all they can ask you and you should be fine.

Just be yourself!
Reply 34
Original post by I'm a Fungi
They are a mix of Short answer questions from all of the modules covered, multiple choice questions and data interpretation. There is also a separate spotter exam done on the computer which is multiple choice and is usually on anatomy covered throughout the year, but can also have a few other questions like calculations. I haven't taken the exam yet, so I'm not 100% sure of the weightings, but will let you know when I find out. Happily, there aren't any essay questions!

Ah so glad to hear no Essay Questions :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi thanks for setting this up!

I just wanted to ask how hard 1st year is at Barts? Whether the lectures are recorded, and how is the teaching?

I am a graduate student and by God's grace, I managed to get an offer for the five year course but not the four year one. I have a undergrad in Biomedical science and Master's in Genomic Medicine, so I'm just hoping that the first year won't be boring and make me demotivated.

I just wished that I did the four year interview a lot better in retrospect, so I wouldn't be somewhat wasting a year. I suppose that there's no possibility of getting there and if I found that I've covered the material for the first year, to be bumped to the GEP course?

Many thanks in advance
Do you know a 6 foot 6 guy with a bit of a beard
Hi please could you tell me how competitive intercalated BSC at Barts is? secondly how much PBL is in the course?
Thank you
Original post by Bbear123
Hi please could you tell me how competitive intercalated BSC at Barts is? secondly how much PBL is in the course?
Thank you

So sorry I took so long to reply....exams and that!

I think most people end up doing intercalated BSc at Bart's so I guess it can get competitive.

With regards to PBL, they say it's just a bit of PBL on the course, but you start off with a 2 hour PBL session every week in the first module and then after Christmas it becomes 2 PBL sessions a week. There are also write-ups you have to do for a random PBL you get assigned and there are 3 of these you do in a year. And of course, they are examined in the in-course examinations and in finals for first year, so yeah, there is quite a bit of PBL in this course.
I heard Bart's has a USMLE society. Do you perhaps know roughly how many students sit Step 1 per year group? How hard is it to study for it alongside your university curriculum?

Latest

Trending

Trending