The Student Room Group

Breaking News: Trump orders military strikes in Syria

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ninja Squirrel
The UK and France have also conducted coordinated airstrikes along with the U.S.

But France needed Parliamentary approval... that was quick.

Doesn't our bombing destroy much of the evidence of the gas attack?
Is there proof Assad even conducted or controlled these chemical weapon strikes?

Apologies if it's a stupid question, I'm new to this sort of thread and wanted to dip my toes.
I’ve seen multiple news outlets showcase a Russian news station warning its viewers to prepare for WW3, I know it’s all speculation but just ... god, i’m terrified, probably because i’m ignorant about the topic at hand
Original post by AlexanderHam
How many civilians were killed in the Shayrat strikes? None. It's equally likely that no civilians will be killed in these airstrikes.

You do realise that technology has moved on since World War 2. We don't do carpet bombing anymore.

Yes but that was like 20 tomahawks. This is 3 nations coming together. It's overkill. You said it yourself it looks like its targeting a wider base.

I hope for the Syrians sake youre right.

But lets not pretend that this is not about long term militaristic strategic goals. This is not about innocent syrians being gassed.
Live reports that Damascus International Airport has been destroyed.

CNN reporting that strikes are a mix of Tomahawk missile strikes and manned aircraft
999tigger lol
Original post by Consectatrix
I’ve seen multiple news outlets showcase a Russian news station warning its viewers to prepare for WW3, I know it’s all speculation but just ... god, i’m terrified, probably because i’m ignorant about the topic at hand

Nuclear war is unlikely,a arms race on the other hand...
Reports of Damascus International Airport completely destroyed.
Stupid move. This is going to achieve nothing.
Why would there be a nuclear war? That's a completely implausible outcome.

Russia has no intentions of committing national suicide over Syria.

Maybe not national suicide but there's a lot at stake. Russia's already made deals to gain access to Syria's oil.

I wouldnt be surprised if a few million barrels in oil reserves are accidentally lit up tonight.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
But France needed Parliamentary approval... that was quick.

It does not; under the French constitution, the President has plenary powers over foreign affairs and military matters.

Doesn't our bombing destroy much of the evidence of the gas attack?

We're not attacking the place that was gassed by Assad. In any case, corpses were smuggled out by Western intelligence so they could be tested, which confirmed the chemicals used.

These airstrikes will be aimed at the Syrian Air Force, Syrian chemical weapons apparatus and possibly Syrian command and control sites and air defence network.
Live reports that the Syrian Scientific Research Institution at Barzeh (a chemical weapons manufacturing and research site) has been destroyed.

Reports from Damascenes that it's "like World War 3" and there are huge explosions everywhere. This is a large-scale airstrike that is on a different level to the light chastisement the US inflicted a year ago, which clearly didn't deter Assad.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Reports of Damascus International Airport completely destroyed.

Just seen that report, wow.
Original post by higgs334
Im not completely anti interventionist. But this is just silly. Nothing is going to be gained directly by bombing the Assad regime apart from the killing of innocents. We've demonised refugees yet contribute to their displacement, we despise Assad for using chemical weapons and yet America and Britain are the 2 biggest arms dealers making bombs that kill Yemeni children and women.

The US and Britain are two massive hypocrites, pretending to be schooling the world and yet being responsible for much of the displacement and suffering in the middle east.

1. We havent demonised refugees.
2. Did we actually cause the Syrian civil war?
3. If you go with the idea that the intelligence indicates he has used chemical weapons, then the aim would be to take that capacity away from him and make him think before doing it again. It wont alter the war, but if he wants to kill people then stick to barrel bombs.
4. The vast majority of the killing is Muslim on Muslim. If they really wanted to inflict casualties they would be using different methods and weapons.Maybe look at the Russians and see how much they give a toss about causing casualties.
Live reports that the Syrian Scientific Research Institution at Barzeh (a chemical weapons manufacturing and research site) has been destroyed.

Reports from Damascenes that it's "like World War 3" and there are huge explosions everywhere. This is a large-scale airstrike that is on a different level to the light chastisement the US inflicted a year ago, which clearly didn't deter Assad.

Seems so. The British, French and U.S fighter jets are in the skies over Syria. This could get ugly if our jets get shot down. There seems to be significant damage and bombings conducted so far.
LIVE REPORTS that the Syrian Republican Guard barracks at Mount Qasioun (which overlooks Damascus and is where President Assad's presidential palace is) has been hit by missiles.

That is a very momentous and symbolic target. I hope the report is true
Live reports that Damascus International Airport has been destroyed.

CNN reporting that strikes are a mix of Tomahawk missile strikes and manned aircraft

Oh yeah, sounds like theyre very much targeting chemical weapon sites.

Very clear there are ulterior motives behind this. You dont simply destroy airports like that.
Original post by MrDystopia
Just seen that report, wow.

I was shocked to see this because surely that is a civilian airport and not a military base? Who knows maybe they were using the airport as a military airport as well.
Original post by higgs334
Im not completely anti interventionist. But this is just silly. Nothing is going to be gained directly by bombing the Assad regime apart from the killing of innocents. We've demonised refugees yet contribute to their displacement, we despise Assad for using chemical weapons and yet America and Britain are the 2 biggest arms dealers making bombs that kill Yemeni children and women.

The US and Britain are two massive hypocrites, pretending to be schooling the world and yet being responsible for much of the displacement and suffering in the middle east.

Not just any armaments, but even cluster bombs, which are illegal, and at least as bad as chemical weapons (certainly more likely to harm civilians).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending