The Student Room Group

A-Level Biology Practical WJEC -1st May and 4th May

Hey, does anyone have any idea what the practical might be on this year? Also what sort of things do they ask in the second paper (the analysis paper)? Please help!!!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Yes, please help!!
Reply 3
For WJEC exam board.The Friday paper will most likely ask for a chi squared calculation, t-test calculation or standard deviation calculation (but I believe they give you the formula it is just good to practise so you know you have it down) and then an interpretation of the calculations you have completed. Then also a microscopy question which will likely involve identification, but may also involve a magnification calculation if you haven't already been asked to carry out a calculation. So DATA INTERPRETATION, a CALCULATION and labelling from a light (i think it's light but it may also be an electron) MICROGRAPH. (lists of which micrographs could come up should be available on the wjec website)
how is everyone studying for the exam? also any predictions?
Reply 5
Statistical calculation can be free marks since they give you the formulas. I'm just hoping for a nice microscopy question - but I have a feeling the image is just gonna be awful.

Original post by halloumigal
how is everyone studying for the exam? also any predictions?

I'm looking over all of the possible microscopy topics and learning terms, mainly. Other than that, take a look at the mark scheme from last year for a general idea. Can't seem to find the paper itself on the WJEC website.
How did everybody find that? I thought it was just OK.
Reply 7
Original post by nathanwjec
How did everybody find that? I thought it was just OK.

I thought it was very nice, some weird trick questions but apart from that a lot better than it could have been.
Original post by jaisuf
I thought it was very nice, some weird trick questions but apart from that a lot better than it could have been.

I think all question 2 on the anther and pollination stuff was easy defo full marks for that but the first question was hard I thought!
Reply 9
I think all question 2 on the anther and pollination stuff was easy defo full marks for that but the first question was hard I thought!

What order did you put for the very first question?
Wasp, still in leaf, then bird(?) I think I put? Can’t remember the last one so well
Original post by jaisuf
What order did you put for the very first question?
Wasp, still in leaf, then bird(?) I think I put? Can’t remember the last one so well

A. Small hole, wasp?
B. No hole, little **** still in the leaf
C. Irregular, big hole, bird?
Reply 11
A. Small hole, wasp?
B. No hole, little **** still in the leaf
C. Irregular, big hole, bird?

Looks good to me!

Quick Reply

Latest