The Student Room Group

Do you really need an EBacc?

I do not want to take French GCSE as I do not enjoy it and it isn't really my strong point. However, many people say that I should get an EBacc, meaning I'd have to take French, (as it its the only language my school offers). But is an EBacc really that important for getting into colleges and university? Is it something I should seriously consider doing?
Original post by LydiaTobin
I do not want to take French GCSE as I do not enjoy it and it isn't really my strong point. However, many people say that I should get an EBacc, meaning I'd have to take French, (as it its the only language my school offers). But is an EBacc really that important for getting into colleges and university? Is it something I should seriously consider doing?

A language gcse will not make any difference to your chances of getting an offer for uk universities.
(Obviously unless you’re interested in a degree that includes language study)

UCL is the only university that has publicly tried to encourage language gcse take up. If you start a degree there without a gcse then they’ll want you to study the equivalent of gcse language alongside your degree (it wouldn’t affect your chances of a place).

Ebacc is something being imposed on schools by the government. It’s used in school league tables so they will try to encourage ebacc subjects when they think you will pass. It’s for their benefit rather than based on any evidence of demand from colleges, universities or employers.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
A language gcse will not make any difference to your chances of getting an offer for uk universities.
(Obviously unless you’re interested in a degree that includes language study)

UCL is the only university that has publicly tried to encourage language gcse take up. If you start a degree there without a gcse then they’ll want you to study the equivalent of gcse language alongside your degree (it wouldn’t affect your chances of a place).

Ebacc is something being imposed on schools by the government. It’s used in school league tables so they will try to encourage ebacc subjects when they think you will pass. It’s for their benefit rather than based on any evidence of demand from colleges, universities or employers.

Thanks, this was really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest