The Student Room Group

investment banking course

18, first year of university
Not sure if this is a stupid question and if it even matters, but for (investment) banking and finances, would an international or accounting focus (in business management) be more 'useful'? Does this even matter much?

Thank you! Any help/advice on banking/finances would be very appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by Rainbowcorn
Not sure if this is a stupid question and if it even matters, but for (investment) banking and finances, would an international or accounting focus (in business management) be more 'useful'? Does this even matter much?

Course subject is irrelevant. The 'prestige' of your uni, and your experience/skills is more important. Have a look at the investment banking forum here, which is quite useful.
Original post by Rainbowcorn

Hey!

I study Management at Bath and a lot of my course mates are interested in investment banking. Most students do a placement year here and the finance placements tend to be advertised to students studying a variety of degrees. In my experience, finance positions were open to Management students, accounting, economics and maths etc.

I would encourage you to study the subject you think you will enjoy most, because often many different degrees can lead you to the same position. I know people studying natural sciences who are doing marketing placements so your subject shouldn't restrict you :smile:

I hope this helps - just quote me if you have any more questions!

Alice,
2nd Year Management

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending