The Student Room Group

Cambridge Computer Science (CompSci) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
FrancesO
So did you get an offer? :smile:

No email or letter yet ;-(.

No letters at all in day just passed... (unusual in this house)
I suspect postman.deliver() returned ERR_SNOW_FUNCTION_NOT_SUPPORTED or something like that....

What about you?
Reply 181
enyc
No email or letter yet ;-(.

No letters at all in day just passed... (unusual in this house)
I suspect postman.deliver() returned ERR_SNOW_FUNCTION_NOT_SUPPORTED or something like that....

What about you?

I see what you did there :wink:

I got my offer through track, AAAB ^_^
Reply 182
FrancesO
I see what you did there :wink:

Woot. All on A2 grades or also AS's ?

I have no mention in track, and also no letters today.
I got the impression that they didn't update track for a while, that the CAO did that after receiving the 'blue cards' or something.

I wonder what that means! Patience, patience, I guess =).
Reply 183
enyc
Woot. All on A2 grades or also AS's ?

I have no mention in track, and also no letters today.
I got the impression that they didn't update track for a while, that the CAO did that after receiving the 'blue cards' or something.

I wonder what that means! Patience, patience, I guess =).

All on A2 grades :smile: what college are you with?
Reply 184
FrancesO
All on A2 grades :smile: what college are you with?

Wolfson.

I still sometimes think I might have been better applying for 2011 -- To me, I feel like I've only just-about learnt how to do schoolwork in the first place! In rather a hurry in 1 year, I did a lot of work for my 95% maths-A2 and 99% electronics-AS...

So now I've been doing furthermaths-A2 and electronics-A2 and physics-AS.
Everything went a bit pear-shaped at the end of last year, too much happening at work, college, and Cambridge application!

You sound like one of those lucky people who are just taking A-levels.
Reply 185
enyc
Wolfson.

I still sometimes think I might have been better applying for 2011 -- To me, I feel like I've only just-about learnt how to do schoolwork in the first place! In rather a hurry in 1 year, I did a lot of work for my 95% maths-A2 and 99% electronics-AS...

So now I've been doing furthermaths-A2 and electronics-A2 and physics-AS.
Everything went a bit pear-shaped at the end of last year, too much happening at work, college, and Cambridge application!

You sound like one of those lucky people who are just taking A-levels.

Ha, yes, I already had my messed up years at college :rolleyes: Fortunately I could still get into college free though, so didn't need to work and am just concentrating on the A-Levels now, it seems to be working. You've got some very good percentages there, better than mine!
Reply 186
FrancesO
So did you get an offer? :smile:

I phoned up, the letter got lost in the snow or something....
They emailed me my letter. It says yes, subject to:-

"A in AS Level Physics and an A in Further Mathematics"

Interesting, they didn't mention Electronics A2 that I am doing (which I would have preferred over Physics on the offer). Oh well.
Reply 187
enyc
I phoned up, the letter got lost in the snow or something....
They emailed me my letter. It says yes, subject to:-

"A in AS Level Physics and an A in Further Mathematics"

Interesting, they didn't mention Electronics A2 that I am doing (which I would have preferred over Physics on the offer). Oh well.

Congrats! :biggrin: accepting it as your firm?
Reply 188
FrancesO
Congrats! :biggrin: accepting it as your firm?

Quite possibly.
I need to discuss plans with Additional Support Teacher after I finish exams on Wednesday.

Thing is, to me, I've only just got started at school this year, like I haven't done this before, for some reason I'm not as confident as other people think I should be.
Reply 189
FrancesO

Guess what...
My track got updated today, finally got the offer.
But it says 'unconditional'.

I'm being advised this may be a mistake. Unless they changed their decision or something.... Puzzling!
Reply 190
Hei girls and guys!

I'd like to pick up some Common Lisp and would be grateful for any recommendation as to which book to get. I have some previous experience in programming, so it doesn't have to be a ‘for dummies’ kind of book.
EWS
Hei girls and guys!

I'd like to pick up some Common Lisp and would be grateful for any recommendation as to which book to get. I have some previous experience in programming, so it doesn't have to be a ‘for dummies’ kind of book.

Does it have to be specifically Common Lisp, or will any Lisp do? If the latter, Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (SICP/'The Wizard Book') was MIT's standard Scheme text until pretty recently and is fairly legendary. Also see 'The Little LISPer' (which is now 'The Little Schemer' - notice a pattern? :laugh:)

EDIT: I should mention that both books are, I believe, available freely and legally online. SICP certainly is.
Reply 192
OK, I'll have a look at those. Thanks!
Reply 193
TheUnbeliever
EDIT: I should mention that both books are, I believe, available freely and legally online. SICP certainly is.

Thinking about this...
I don't recall being suggested/sent a reading-list.
I guess there are the suggestions on the cl.cam.ac.uk site!

On Thursday I get results of some Physics/FurtherMaths modules taken in January!
Then I will find out if I am on track to meet the offer! ...

--enyc
enyc
Thinking about this...

There are, but I think they're more 'things that are likely to be of interest' rather than 'things that you need to know'. I guess the Mythical Man-Month might help with some of Software Design.

If anyone's feeling especially keen, the lecture notes for the courses are available on the teaching section of the Computer Lab site. The style varies: DMII, for example, is essentially a short textbook, whilst Software Design is a series of slides that are probably better accompanied by the lectures themselves. (In fact, if you wanted to work through the ML and Java exercises - under 'Foundations of Computer Science' and 'Programming in Java' - then you could even avoid some work! :p:)

Good luck :smile:
enyc
Thinking about this...

On Thursday I get results of some Physics/FurtherMaths modules taken in January!

--enyc

I would recommend the Turing Omnibus over the Pleasure of Counting or Mythical Man-month, since the former is very dry in a maths kind of way and the latter is very old and not everything in it applies to today's world.

TheUnbeliever
DMII, for example, is essentially a short textbook

That's because it's the draft manuscript of a book the lecturer's writing :p:
ukdragon37
That's because it's the draft manuscript of a book the lecturer's writing :p:

Oh. :rofl:
TheUnbeliever
Oh. :rofl:

I was snooping around the lecturer's CV and I found out :ninja:
ukdragon37
I was snooping around the lecturer's CV and I found out :ninja:

A ha. :p: I just assumed it was a bit of interesting color from lectures.
Reply 199
TheUnbeliever
There are, but I think they're more 'things that are likely to be of interest' rather than 'things that you need to know'. I guess the Mythical Man-Month might help with some of Software Design.

I'll definitely look into this sort of thing, any time after 2010-06-18 ;-)...

TheUnbeliever
Good luck :smile:

Well it isn't going badly at all!
90/90 on G491 (towards Physics-AS that I need)
99/100 on MFP1 (towards FurtherMaths-A2 that I need)

:woo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending