The Student Room Group

What AQA Physics option should I choose for Computer Science (Software Engineering)

The title pretty much sums it up. I want to get a (Master's) degree in a Computer Science course, ideally "Computer Science (Software Engineering)".

I chosen relevant A Level subject, but as apart of my AQA Physics subject, AQA offers the students the choice a final topic to learn, there's 5 to chose from:
- Astrophysics
- Medical physics
- Engineering physics
- Turning points in physics
- Electronics

Now, obviously Astrophysics and Medical physics can pretty much be ignored. But the other three may be useful for a Computer Science course ("Turning points in physics" is unrelated but I heard it's the easiest).
(edited 1 year ago)
The physics option you do will really have no bearing on a computer science degree. I guess electronics would be the most relevant but you really should just pick which one you are most interested in
Reply 2
Original post by grhas98
The physics option you do will really have no bearing on a computer science degree. I guess electronics would be the most relevant but you really should just pick which one you are most interested in

I'm not interested in any of them...
Original post by Tim...
I'm not interested in any of them...

No offense but if you aren’t interested in any of them why are you doing physics
Original post by Tim...
The title pretty much sums it up. I want to get a (Master's) degree in a Computer Science course, ideally "Computer Science (Software Engineering)".

I chosen relevant A Level subject, but as apart of my AQA Physics subject, AQA offers the students the choice a final topic to learn, there's 5 to chose from:
- Astrophysics
- Medical physics
- Engineering physics
- Electronics

Now, obviously Astrophysics and Medical physics can pretty much be ignored. But the other three may be useful for a Computer Science course ("Turning points in physics" is unrelated but I heard it's the easiest).

Yo I'm in the same position as you but I wanted to do Engineering Physics purely 'cause it looked interesting, albeit a little difficult. My class is doing Astrophysics now lol (well there are 2 other people in the class anyway so it didn't take too long to decide). I would recommend electronics (although it doesn't give you much of an advantage nor a disadvantage), it goes over concepts such as logic and Boolean algebra which you may have studied in your CompSci A Level (if you are doing CompSci at A Level).

Also ignore the fella who asked why the heck you're doing physics. It's applications of academic rigour and mathematical ability are super useful when applying to a CS degree so play that to your advantage!

Which unis are you looking at, by the way?
Original post by Tim...

- Astrophysics
- Medical physics
- Engineering physics
- Electronics

by the way, if you decide against electronics, your next best option is turning points in physics - it sort of stems from your particle physics module and teaches about things like relativity, millikan's oil drop experiment, etc. The deeply mathematical foundations would be perfect preparation for a CompSci degree.
Reply 6
Original post by Al_the_Pal
Yo I'm in the same position as you but I wanted to do Engineering Physics purely 'cause it looked interesting, albeit a little difficult. My class is doing Astrophysics now lol (well there are 2 other people in the class anyway so it didn't take too long to decide). I would recommend electronics (although it doesn't give you much of an advantage nor a disadvantage), it goes over concepts such as logic and Boolean algebra which you may have studied in your CompSci A Level (if you are doing CompSci at A Level).

Also ignore the fella who asked why the heck you're doing physics. It's applications of academic rigour and mathematical ability are super useful when applying to a CS degree so play that to your advantage!

Which unis are you looking at, by the way?

yo do u have any resource for electronics a level physics because my school is not teaching it and i have to do it myself ( i also wanna do cs in uni)
Reply 7
Original post by Piog2
yo do u have any resource for electronics a level physics because my school is not teaching it and i have to do it myself ( i also wanna do cs in uni)

hi, sorry for replying late. I've been snooping online and I can't seem to find anything and I couldn't find it in my textbook. if you have to self study it, i wouldn't bother much about it as it doesn't give as much of an advantage as extra maths or working on GitHub or whatever

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending