The Student Room Group

Further Mechanics 2

Can someone do this question please? It involves centres of mass
Oh god please don't tell me this is from an AQA paper...

(Btw, is the answer 30 degrees?)
You first need to find the coordinates of the COM of the folded shape, keeping in mind that the folded area would have double thickness therefore double the mass and you also need to take into account the particle at D. Then, form a triangle using the corrdinates you found and the dimensions of the lamina and work out the angle using trigonometry.
Reply 3
Original post by Kazo11
Can someone do this question please? It involves centres of mass

I'm having trouble with this question too. I'll post my working in a bit but I've asked almost everyone that I think will have even the slightest idea about how to answer the question but it's just ridiculous. I've already spent like 2 hours on it. :sad:
Reply 4
Original post by darkforest
Oh god please don't tell me this is from an AQA paper...

(Btw, is the answer 30 degrees?)

if only it was that easy :smile:. And it is from edexcel
Reply 5
Original post by Radioactivedecay
You first need to find the coordinates of the COM of the folded shape, keeping in mind that the folded area would have double thickness therefore double the mass and you also need to take into account the particle at D. Then, form a triangle using the corrdinates you found and the dimensions of the lamina and work out the angle using trigonometry.

however folding the shape doesn't make a triangle??

Original post by nyxnko_
I'm having trouble with this question too. I'll post my working in a bit but I've asked almost everyone that I think will have even the slightest idea about how to answer the question but it's just ridiculous. I've already spent like 2 hours on it. :sad:

Same! its impossible
Reply 6
Original post by Kazo11
Same! its impossible

:colondollar: lol I said I would post my working but didn't so here it is 20180424_185725-compressed.jpg.jpeg
obviously, the answer is like miles away from 59.1 but :dontknow:
Reply 7
also, @Notnek please help!!

Quick Reply