The Student Room Group

GCSE French Speaking AQA

GUYS i have my french speaking exam on the 3rd of may and I AM SO NERVOUS!!
Has anyone already had theirs? How did it go?
Also, if you have had yours then what was the photocard and roleplay on? Thanks!!
SAME HERE! Do you know any roleplays or photos ??
Reply 2
My role-play was pretty awful, along with my photo card. Just glad it's over tbh.
Actually, I had mine on Tuesday. I was given Higher so all of the things were a bit harder. I can't tell you which role plays and photo cards I got, but I can say, that those 2 parts are the easiest I would say, as you have the 12 minutes to prepare. I was soooo scared, as I revised a lot for the general convo. What theme did you choose? I chose theme 3 for the convo and I was also given theme 2. It went by so quickly. Speak slowly, as if you speak to fast, you may trip up. Also, try phrases like, 'Oui, bonne question, je dirais que' or, 'Si vous me demandez' to have some time to think about responses. Good Luck!!! Don't be scared.
Reply 4
I had mine today and role plays and photo cards were definitely much easier! also, instead of revising large paragraphs for general conversation, learn phrases that can be used in most topics and learn how to say it in past/present/future/conditional.
What should I revise for French?
Original post by thekidwhogames
What should I revise for French?

Vocab from each module and general conversation answers
Reply 7
I had my exam yesterday and the role play was awful, really difficult but once that was out of the way the rest was ok! I really hope that roleplay doesn't bring my grade down too much! Make sure you revise lots of different scenarios for the roleplay as it could literally be anywhere!

Also, if you still have time to buy it, I really recommend the French revision workbook which is purple, I got it from Amazon. It's got loads of roleplays, speaking cards and general conversation ideas as well as writing, reading and listening questions (there's an online link for this). I am finding it really helpful and it's got foundation and higher in the same book!

Good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by Joe 2673
My role-play was pretty awful, along with my photo card. Just glad it's over tbh.

Thats terrible! Would you mind PM'ing me what your roleplay and photocard was?
Reply 9
Original post by RandomHumanBeing
Actually, I had mine on Tuesday. I was given Higher so all of the things were a bit harder. I can't tell you which role plays and photo cards I got, but I can say, that those 2 parts are the easiest I would say, as you have the 12 minutes to prepare. I was soooo scared, as I revised a lot for the general convo. What theme did you choose? I chose theme 3 for the convo and I was also given theme 2. It went by so quickly. Speak slowly, as if you speak to fast, you may trip up. Also, try phrases like, 'Oui, bonne question, je dirais que' or, 'Si vous me demandez' to have some time to think about responses. Good Luck!!! Don't be scared.

Thank you for the tips! Would you mind PM'ing me what you got?
Reply 10
Original post by sopxia
I had mine today and role plays and photo cards were definitely much easier! also, instead of revising large paragraphs for general conversation, learn phrases that can be used in most topics and learn how to say it in past/present/future/conditional.

Will do! Could you please PM me what roleplay and photocard you got?
Reply 11
Original post by mikz9341
I had my exam yesterday and the role play was awful, really difficult but once that was out of the way the rest was ok! I really hope that roleplay doesn't bring my grade down too much! Make sure you revise lots of different scenarios for the roleplay as it could literally be anywhere!

Also, if you still have time to buy it, I really recommend the French revision workbook which is purple, I got it from Amazon. It's got loads of roleplays, speaking cards and general conversation ideas as well as writing, reading and listening questions (there's an online link for this). I am finding it really helpful and it's got foundation and higher in the same book!

Good luck!

Unfortunatley I dont have much time left, could you please PM me what you got so I can use that as a source of revision?
I had mine like 2 weeks ago and for the role play and photo card I just used the specimen papers of the aqa website to revise and then for general conversation I learnt key phrases and verbs for each question
Original post by anon_pie
GUYS i have my french speaking exam on the 3rd of may and I AM SO NERVOUS!!
Has anyone already had theirs? How did it go?
Also, if you have had yours then what was the photocard and roleplay on? Thanks!!

Hi,
I'm currently preparing for a level french speaking exams and I got A*s in all my french components at GCSE so I guess I can offer some advice.
I'd say don't memorise full sentences - that is a waste of time. The new spec requires you to think on the spot, so spend more time making sure you're familiar with vocab and contextual knowledge. Examiners love connectives and complex opinion phrases so pay close attention to those. Don't be nervous - treat it like a usual conversation with your teacher (or examiner, if your school has to get them externally). One tip that really helped me to focus and not sound nervous was using hand gestures, almost like I was giving a presentation. This distracts you from the pressure of an exam and feels more natural so obviously you speak with more confidence which will hopefully lead to better accuracy.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by weakweakling
Hi,
I'm currently preparing for a level french speaking exams and I got A*s in all my french components at GCSE so I guess I can offer some advice.
I'd say don't memorise full sentences - that is a waste of time. The new spec requires you to think on the spot, so spend more time making sure you're familiar with vocab and contextual knowledge. Examiners love connectives and complex opinion phrases so pay close attention to those. Don't be nervous - treat it like a usual conversation with your teacher (or examiner, if your school has to get them externally). One tip that really helped me to focus and not sound nervous was using hand gestures, almost like I was giving a presentation. This distracts you from the pressure of an exam and feels more natural so obviously you speak with more confidence which will hopefully lead to better accuracy.

Good luck! :smile:

OMG your results are incredible!! Thank you so much for the tips I will definitely use them in my exam, good luck to you too! :smile:
OMG your results are incredible!! Thank you so much for the tips I will definitely use them in my exam, good luck to you too! :smile:

Thank you! Any other questions let me know
Reply 16
can anyone tell me what was actually on the photo card or the general conversation???
Reply 17
its confidential and that's cheating revise instead of asking
Reply 18
Original post by K.o123
its confidential and that's cheating revise instead of asking

I am revising! My teacher told us that it's a good idea to ask people who have already done the exam to tell us their roleplay and photocard so we can prepare, just following some advice :smile:
I am revising! My teacher told us that it's a good idea to ask people who have already done the exam to tell us their roleplay and photocard so we can prepare, just following some advice :smile:

that's not allowed lmao

Quick Reply

Latest