The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

South Kensington - 1500£ enough to live on?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sataris
What do you eat ._. I cook every day and spend way more than that per week

Do you shop at tesco, sainsbury's or waitrose?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by johnny.snow
Do you shop at tesco, sainsbury's or waitrose?

Tesco

Original post by Wolfram Alpha
That seems reasonable but how much do you spend/week if it's more than £35? Is your meat/veg all organic? Also, do you buy ingredients/snacks daily or do you share what you buy between different days?

I don't go for the more expensive options usually but I do end up needing to get something every day. I've actually been meaning to keep proper track of exactly how much I spend for a while now. Maybe it just feels like way more?! I'll have to look into it
Reply 22
Original post by Sataris
What do you eat ._. I cook every day and spend way more than that per week

I really enjoy cooking so I cook a variety of recipes from recipe books, online etc. I think the way I manage to get it cheaper is to plan the meals for the entire week and then do only one shop per week which helps to restrict what I buy, plus I try and plan meals where the same kind of ingredients are used so I don't waste anything, and then any leftovers from my dinners become my lunch for the next day
Original post by ElleCee
I really enjoy cooking so I cook a variety of recipes from recipe books, online etc. I think the way I manage to get it cheaper is to plan the meals for the entire week and then do only one shop per week which helps to restrict what I buy, plus I try and plan meals where the same kind of ingredients are used so I don't waste anything, and then any leftovers from my dinners become my lunch for the next day

This is really excellent stuff, will try to be a bit more like you when the time comes!
Original post by ElleCee
I cook proper meals every day and I tend to spend around £35 on food per week. Obviously this depends on what kind of food you want to make, meat is obviously more expensive, and whether you plan your meals well so that ingredients are shared between them.

Wow, you can really economise with resources. I spend >70 GBP and I think that 10-12 GBP a day is a scarce budget.
Reply 25
EDIT: Do you know what I would have to pay, approximately, to eat out daily? I'm not sure how pricey things are in South Kensington. Not like fries and pizza but proper food if you know what I mean. Thanks in advance :smile:.

Eating out on South Ken is relatively expensive, but there's always small cafes away from the touristy bits. I'm guessing you'd be paying between £7 and £10 for a proper meal in a cheap cafe. Or a fair bit more elsewhere.
Anually of course. This money will only be used for food and occassionally for public transport. Is £1500 sufficient or do I need more, and if so, how much more?

EDIT: When I say food, I don't mean pot noodles and whatever else uni students with little care for their diet tend to eat. I mean proper meals...

No.

My son is at Imperial. He spends ~£1000 per term in addition to accommodation, eating too cheaply IMO. He does take the tube or bus sometimes, but often walks (he's in halls in Notting Hill).

I'd budget at least £1200 per term, i.e. £3600 per year, although you may need a little more.
Lmao noo
Anually of course. This money will only be used for food and occassionally for public transport. Is £1500 sufficient or do I need more, and if so, how much more?

EDIT: When I say food, I don't mean pot noodles and whatever else uni students with little care for their diet tend to eat. I mean proper meals...

According to the Imperial college website for living costs, food and transport comes to like £2800.

Food alone is £1950

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/parents/fees-and-funding/living-costs/
Original post by RogerOxon
No.

My son is at Imperial. He spends ~£1000 per term in addition to accommodation, eating too cheaply IMO. He does take the tube or bus sometimes, but often walks (he's in halls in Notting Hill).

I'd budget at least £1200 per term, i.e. £3600 per year, although you may need a little more.

I never thought food wpould cost so much but I suppose it IS South Kensington! I'll be sure to take £4000 so everything is covered. Thanks a lot for your response, very useful.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
According to the Imperial college website for living costs, food and transport comes to like £2800.

Food alone is £1950

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/parents/fees-and-funding/living-costs/

Useful link, thank you :smile:.
I spend approx. 45£ per week on groceries and household items. Usually I cook for myself for one or several days in advance. (I eat a lot though and sometimes buy expensive fish, chocolate or fruit.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending