The Student Room Group

Ototoxicity and psych meds

I take psych meds and recently my ears have really been hurting me. This happened in the past on a different combination of meds too but went away when I changed them.

I've noticed that I find it very difficult to pick out an individual's voice if there is any background noise, even in a relatively quiet bar for example. Another problem I experience is having difficulty with phones; both my work and mobile phone volumes are on full and even then it's difficult to have a conversation.

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem? Is there anything I can do to protect my ears (or at least stop them hurting)? I already spoke to my psychiatrist and he didn't give a damn, my wife too was very dismissive.
Original post by Sabertooth

I've noticed that I find it very difficult to pick out an individual's voice if there is any background noise, even in a relatively quiet bar for example. Another problem I experience is having difficulty with phones; both my work and mobile phone volumes are on full and even then it's difficult to have a conversation.

I have this problem. It's Auditory Processing Disorder and it's your brain and not your ears. If you do a hearing test on me, it comes back as a slight difference due to hyperacusis. (hypersensitivity to noise)

Can you get a second opinion from ENT? (ears, nose and throat)
Reply 2
Original post by Tiger Rag
I have this problem. It's Auditory Processing Disorder and it's your brain and not your ears. If you do a hearing test on me, it comes back as a slight difference due to hyperacusis. (hypersensitivity to noise)

Can you get a second opinion from ENT? (ears, nose and throat)

What do you mean a slight difference? Like slightly less able or more able to hear than "normal"?

This is really having a big impact on my ability to socialize and I'm trying to make friends but I can't hear them unless it's like one on one. I never used to have this problem, does auditory processing disorder just come out of nowhere or...?

Do your ears physically hurt? Mine do.
Original post by Sabertooth
What do you mean a slight difference? Like slightly less able or more able to hear than "normal"?

In my case, able to hear out of one ear better.

Do your ears physically hurt? Mine do.

Only when it gets too loud.

Quick Reply

Latest