The Student Room Group

Potential new cure for baldness

"A potential new cure for baldness has been discovered using a drug originally intended to treat osteoporosis. Researchers found the drug had a dramatic effect on hair follicles in the lab, stimulating them to grow."

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Do you worry about going bald?
Original post by Danny Dorito
"A potential new cure for baldness has been discovered using a drug originally intended to treat osteoporosis. Researchers found the drug had a dramatic effect on hair follicles in the lab, stimulating them to grow."

You can read the full story here.

What do you make of this? Do you worry about going bald?

Sounds perfectly plausible to me; an awful lot of drugs are discovered because of their side effects when trialled to treat something else! I’d just be worried about over-treating osteoporosis at the same time if the patient doesn’t have a problem there.
That's a long way off from bring a usable treatment.

As for going bald..... I'd shaved my head since 16 so was really surprised at how badly I reacted to realising my hair was receeding. Minoxidil reversed the hair loss and I've grown a huge mop of hair since. Yeah, realising you are balding is horrible.
Original post by Sulfolobus
That's a long way off from bring a usable treatment.

As for going bald..... I'd shaved my head since 16 so was really surprised at how badly I reacted to realising my hair was receeding. Minoxidil reversed the hair loss and I've grown a huge mop of hair since. Yeah, realising you are balding is horrible.

Have you had any side effects from Minoxidil? Heard it can be potentially very nasty, and also once you stop you lose whatever was saved or grew back. From what I understand you are very lucky to have seen significant regrowth.
Sign me up.

Although personally I've made my peace with going bald, it would still be nice to keep my hair...
Original post by Wilfred Little
Have you had any side effects from Minoxidil? Heard it can be potentially very nasty, and also once you stop you lose whatever was saved or grew back. From what I understand you are very lucky to have seen significant regrowth.

The only side effect i've experienced is the occasional itchy scalp as the foam is quite abrasive.

I started taking it within a couple of months of realising that I was losing hair. From what I've read, getting in there early tends to have a better outcome. How effective Minoxidil or Finasteride is does seem to vary greatly.

I'm aware that I'll have to continue taking it until I'm prepared to go bald gracefully, but that's fine. It's not that expensive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending