The Student Room Group

Needle phobia but need a filling

I have a crippling needle phobia, and have since I was young, I couldn't bring myself to get the COVID jab, and the last time I had an injection I was in school and accidentally broke My PE teacher's rib, (she was holding me down).
(This is relevant to illustrate the intensity of this phobia.)
I'm home from uni for Christmas and had a dentist appointment today, he said I need a filling on one of my lower back teeth and he booked me in for tomorrow, so it could be done Asap.
But I am terrified of needles, my plan is to refuse the anaesthetic but my mother described how intense the pain would be without the anesthetic, and told me I had to get the injection, her advice was to close my eyes, clearly she doesn't understand having a needle phobia. I have had two mental breakdowns, today just thinking about the appointment tomorrow, my eyes are still watery and I don't think I will sleep at all tonight. I tried watching videos of injections in a frantically desperate attempt to cure my phobia, but evidently it didn't work. Please offer advice I am terrified and on the verge of just ripping the tooth out so i don't have to have the filling.
You won't see the needle- you'll be laid in a chair looking at the ceiling. You won't really feel it, either.

Faced with the pain of toothache and a fear of needles I think I'd rather have the needles 4 times for good measure.
Reply 2
Original post by ErasistratusV
You won't see the needle- you'll be laid in a chair looking at the ceiling. You won't really feel it, either.

Faced with the pain of toothache and a fear of needles I think I'd rather have the needles 4 times for good measure.

In case you were interested-
My phobias too intense to just pretend it's not there so the wouldn't work, had the filling without the anaesthetic, hurt like a B but I'd do it a thousand times over rather them the injection :smile:
Original post by Switch_frm430
My phobias too intense to just pretend it's not there so the wouldn't work, had the filling without the anaesthetic, hurt like a B but I'd do it a thousand times over rather them the injection :smile:

I was never a fan of needles either but now I have put needles into patients a thousand times and can do it multiple times in a single day.
Original post by Switch_frm430

It's something to tell the dentist in future as they have potentially ways to ameliorate that (e.g. sedation).

Also if your phobia is so intense you are unable to receive routine medical procedures such as vaccinations and dental anaesthetic, you should speak with your GP about it and what support can be offered. As phobias can be potentially treated through the NHS.
Reply 5
A filling is not that painful. I've had one (and a root canal) without anaesthetic. Stings a bit but not bad. Take some painkillers before you go

Quick Reply

Latest