The Student Room Group

Struggling to decide EPQ question!!!

I want to do my epq on biomedical sciences or biochemistry , but i really can’t decide on a question. I was thinking maybe something to do with enzymology or blood or something but it’s so hard to decide on a question!!
My main advice for finding a question is making it one that can be evaluated but comes to a definitive conclusion. If you're studying biology A level you're probably not able to do a question on these topics as it may link over the course - double check with your teacher!
I did mine of paramedics and their mental healthy and I really enjoyed it, so make sure its a topic you enjoy - not just one you think unis will like (they don't look at the title just the fact you did one is enough).

Just ensure its something you will be keen to spend hours researching! It could be nice to do something outside of education however if you do have a passion for biology, maybe a controversial topic like "is it okay for nhs workers to strike?" This allows you to weigh up both sides of an argument and come to a conclusion. The reason I recommend something more like this is because Biology can become very difficult if not fully understood and researching an unknown topic in great detail that you've not been taught may become too difficult.

Another peice of advice is to go crazy on appendices - graphs, stats etc are LOVED. which I why I think a topic like the one mentioned above could be more successful in a higher grade. One current topic I find really interesting in stem cells, have they found the cure to HIV? Do stem cells create the possibility of cloning - what are the risks that come with this?

Best of luck!
Reply 2
Choosing a specific research question for your epq in the field of biomedical sciences or biochemistry can indeed be challenging, but with careful consideration, you can find an engaging and impactful topic. Here are some steps and suggestions to help you narrow down your options:
Identify your interests: Reflect on your personal interests within the field of biomedical sciences or biochemistry. Consider the areas that fascinate you the most. Are you intrigued by the intricacies of enzymology, blood-related disorders, or any other specific aspect? Understanding your interests will help you focus your research.
Explore recent advancements: Identifying emerging or trending topics can inspire relevant and innovative research questions.
Brainstorm research questions: Begin by brainstorming a list of potential research questions related to to areas of interest. Don't worry about refining them just yet; the goal is to generate multiple possibilities.
Refine and evaluate your questions: Review your list of research questions and evaluate them based on factors such as feasibility, significance, originality, and potential impact. Consider whether the question is answerable within the scope of your EPQ and whether it aligns with your available resources and time constraints.
Conduct preliminary research: Once you have a shortlist of potential research questions, conduct some preliminary research to assess the availability of information and resources. Look for existing literature, research papers, or data related to each question. This will help you determine whether there is enough material to support your research.
Finalize your research question: Based on your evaluation and preliminary research, choose a research question that meets the necessary criteria. Ensure that it is specific, focused, and has the potential to contribute to existing knowledge in the field.
Remember, the research question you choose should align with your interests, available resources, and the feasibility of the project. It should also allow you to demonstrate critical thinking, research skills, and the ability to analyze and interpret scientific information effectively. Good luck with your EPQ!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending