The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Scroll to see replies

_H_
thank you. how much background knowledge is required before starting the course? i havent previously studied economics as a subject.

the principles of economics module is supposed to give us the background.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
_H_
thank you. how much background knowledge is required before starting the course? i havent previously studied economics as a subject.

if you haven't done economics before, you'll have a couple of introductory lessons during the first week of the term. it's sort of a 'fast track' lesson which provides you the fundamentals of economics before starting your course.

don't worry too much about it. i know several people who haven't done economics at a-levels/gcse level and have managed just fine. as long as you keep on top of your reading list etc, you'll be ok.
Reply 582
thyssen1207
if you haven't done economics before, you'll have a couple of introductory lessons during the first week of the term. it's sort of a 'fast track' lesson which provides you the fundamentals of economics before starting your course.

don't worry too much about it. i know several people who haven't done economics at a-levels/gcse level and have managed just fine. as long as you keep on top of your reading list etc, you'll be ok.

brilliant, i can stop stressing now lol thanks :smile:
Reply 583
Thanks thyssen. Is anyone going to be the Into to Economics modules? It's part of my degree even though it says only open to 1st year economics students! :s-smilie:
have any of you guys received a timetable yet (with dates of lectures etc.)?
Reply 585
cantthinkofaname
have any of you guys received a timetable yet (with dates of lectures etc.)?

Did you get the letter saying we have to go pick a pack up from Economics and go to a meeting on Wednesday? That's all I've got, haven't heard that anyone else has more. I'd assume that meeting is when we get useful things like timetables. Stop stressing Bubs, we haven't all moved into accommodation yet!
kamie
Did you get the letter saying we have to go pick a pack up from Economics and go to a meeting on Wednesday? That's all I've got, haven't heard that anyone else has more. I'd assume that meeting is when we get useful things like timetables. Stop stressing Bubs, we haven't all moved into accommodation yet!

Yes that's all you are getting for the time being. You'll get a blue binder (assuming that's still the colour) with all the info you need for the first year, timetable and you'll also pick up some slide handouts pack.

The meeting on Wednesday is just an introduction i.e. the head of department speaks, the different societies for Economics like EconSoc and Social Sciences Soc also get to speak.

Last year, our full timetable only took into effect on the 2nd week. So to all of you just enjoy freshers week!! :biggrin:
thyssen1207
Yes that's all you are getting for the time being. You'll get a blue binder (assuming that's still the colour) with all the info you need for the first year, timetable and you'll also pick up some slide handouts pack.

The meeting on Wednesday is just an introduction i.e. the head of department speaks, the different societies for Economics like EconSoc and Social Sciences Soc also get to speak.

Last year, our full timetable only took into effect on the 2nd week. So to all of you just enjoy freshers week!! :biggrin:

Theres a meeting on wednesday? :confused:
gaomeister

Well, when she said 'a meeting on Wednesday' I assumed it was the introductory lecture which we had last year.
kamie

i already have!
gaomeister

yeh plus we get some info on monday (should we meet up?)
Reply 591
cantthinkofaname
yeh plus we get some info on monday (should we meet up?)

check your msn, i'm leaving details as we speak
Reply 592
HAS ANYONE BEEN OFFERED LOWER THAN ABB FOR ECONOMICS AT BHAM?

and all those with an offer which open day are you going to? 21st Jan or 18th Feb?
mjluva4ea
HAS ANYONE BEEN OFFERED LOWER THAN ABB FOR ECONOMICS AT BHAM?

and all those with an offer which open day are you going to? 21st Jan or 18th Feb?

I got offered ABB but I didn't achieve it in the end (ABC), but they still let me in (I was doing Economics and Japanese, which has 2 students on the course this year)...

Good luck for your exams and hope to see you in Birmingham next year :biggrin:
I can't come to the open days :frown: I live in Dubai and it will cost too much to go to the UK just for that. U will all have to tell us (who don't go) what its like :wink:
Reply 595
I've applied fopr business management and L100 econ, how long did it take for them to get back to you after you all applied??

Thanks
Reply 596
I sent my UCAS on 14 November and i received an offer (ABB) for Economics on 25 November =)
EdenProject91
I can't come to the open days :frown: I live in Dubai and it will cost too much to go to the UK just for that. U will all have to tell us (who don't go) what its like :wink:

Its very nice :biggrin:
Have you seen any pictures? Read up on Birmingham?

t.hooper
I've applied fopr business management and L100 econ, how long did it take for them to get back to you after you all applied??

Thanks

Depends when you submitted it, Birmingham is normally quite good at getting a reply back to you, I'd say 2 or 3 weeks? :yep: Good luck!!
Reply 598
mjluva4ea

I'm going on 18th of Feb. I hope it's gonna be fun and i'll meet some people:biggrin:
Rob_K
I'm going on 18th of Feb. I hope it's gonna be fun and i'll meet some people:biggrin:

If its the same as last year theres even a free lunch involved :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending