The Student Room Group

How to know what I'm interested in

Hi all. I was (and maybe still am) set to go to University of Birmingham for Law this september.

I have always been an overthinking, indecisive person - so you can imagine the struggle of picking a degree.

Because of the reasons listed above, I, in the very last minute, cancelled my entrance to UoB to take a year out and test the waters with various career options with work experience and really looking into either Law as a degree or Economics (both very different I know).

Anyway, my issue is that my interests swing like a pendulum. For the last few days I was relieved of my decision to cancel and thought Law wasn't for me, despite a year or so reading books on it etc...

And now I'm sat here looking into Nottingham's modules like Human Rights Law and I'm thinking this is right up my street!

I cannot trust my own mind! A year out will help me clear things up I guess, but what's not to say I will change interests again halfway through my Law degree?

I need tips on how to find my TRUE passion.

I loved A-Level Econ for its social science aspects, got an A* in it, but I understand BSc Econ is a lot more maths-based. But even then, I like maths.

Law appeals to my problem-solving interests and more philosophical inquisitions (hence my interest in Human Rights)... but some parts seem extremely boring.
Reply 1
Original post by gregregregreg
Hi all. I was (and maybe still am) set to go to University of Birmingham for Law this september.

I have always been an overthinking, indecisive person - so you can imagine the struggle of picking a degree.

Because of the reasons listed above, I, in the very last minute, cancelled my entrance to UoB to take a year out and test the waters with various career options with work experience and really looking into either Law as a degree or Economics (both very different I know).

Anyway, my issue is that my interests swing like a pendulum. For the last few days I was relieved of my decision to cancel and thought Law wasn't for me, despite a year or so reading books on it etc...

And now I'm sat here looking into Nottingham's modules like Human Rights Law and I'm thinking this is right up my street!

I cannot trust my own mind! A year out will help me clear things up I guess, but what's not to say I will change interests again halfway through my Law degree?

I need tips on how to find my TRUE passion.

I loved A-Level Econ for its social science aspects, got an A* in it, but I understand BSc Econ is a lot more maths-based. But even then, I like maths.

Law appeals to my problem-solving interests and more philosophical inquisitions (hence my interest in Human Rights)... but some parts seem extremely boring.

Most subjects will have some topics that seem particularly boring; sometimes they turn out to be fine, or you might really just not be interested and that’s ok. It’s kind of about finding some sort of balance where it’s tolerable and overall enjoyable.

Would it be possible for you to get some sort of work experience? Even just for a day or so?

What kind of stuff do you enjoy watching and reading and talking about? Do you have any hobbies/things you’re interested in which might relate to law or econ? What types of things appear frequently on your “for you page” or similar on social media? Do you listen to any law/economics based podcasts? (If you don’t or don’t know, have a go at a bit of listening, reading, watching etc. and see if anything really piques your interest, if you end up looking further into something you’ve learned).

It’s ok to take some time to work things out. I don’t think there’s any harm in taking a gap year, especially if you can get some sort of work experience, or even just do some travelling or get a little job to save up some money :smile:
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Most subjects will have some topics that seem particularly boring; sometimes they turn out to be fine, or you might really just not be interested and that’s ok. It’s kind of about finding some sort of balance where it’s tolerable and overall enjoyable.

Would it be possible for you to get some sort of work experience? Even just for a day or so?

What kind of stuff do you enjoy watching and reading and talking about? Do you have any hobbies/things you’re interested in which might relate to law or econ? What types of things appear frequently on your “for you page” or similar on social media? Do you listen to any law/economics based podcasts? (If you don’t or don’t know, have a go at a bit of listening, reading, watching etc. and see if anything really piques your interest, if you end up looking further into something you’ve learned).

It’s ok to take some time to work things out. I don’t think there’s any harm in taking a gap year, especially if you can get some sort of work experience, or even just do some travelling or get a little job to save up some money :smile:

Yeah those are my plans - although I don't even have that much longer to decide, the deadline is 25th Jan, and if I end up picking law then I'll want to do the LNAT, which would take time preparing for etc.

But yeah my interests are in the social sciences tbf. I love looking at the bigger picture - I love thinking about the universe, life, human behaviour etc and observing how people interact and how certain systems work, which I think describes econ more to a limited extent? My biggest interest was behavioural economics - I love theorising and trying to explain behaviour in humans, I really liked Desmond Morris's 'Human Ape'. And I listen to The Economist which is good. But with a BSc I imagine its reduced to boring statistical analysis.

But again law has elements of philosophy in it.

I can apply to the BAecon courses, but these are limited in supply and are not as respected by employers as big corps love maths people.

I am looking to get work experience in both law firms and maybe a consultancy firm / bank to see what a possible career would look like from either degree, which should help inform my decision, but Idk how hard it is to get some experience.

In the mean time, I'll probably pick up some books maybe in behavioural econ or elements of law I have an interest in. Thanks!
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending