The Student Room Group

Question regarding unauthorised material

I attended a CIE IGCSE examination recently, and I had accidentally taken notes prepared for another subject into the examination as it was covered under my Statement of Entry. I had noticed only after the examination began, and informed the invigilator, who took the notes away. I did not look at the notes at all during the time I had it, and it was entirely covered from my view by the statement of entry, and I was allowed to continue writing the examination.

Does anyone know what kind of penalties I should expect? I'm worried that my paper for the subject and other subjects may be disqualified because of this mistake.
Original post by throwaway264822
I attended a CIE IGCSE examination recently, and I had accidentally taken notes prepared for another subject into the examination as it was covered under my Statement of Entry. I had noticed only after the examination began, and informed the invigilator, who took the notes away. I did not look at the notes at all during the time I had it, and it was entirely covered from my view by the statement of entry, and I was allowed to continue writing the examination.

Does anyone know what kind of penalties I should expect? I'm worried that my paper for the subject and other subjects may be disqualified because of this mistake.

CIE have their own rules, but looking at the JCQ rules which cover all the major UK exam boards, then I wouldnt worry.

1. If you were going to be sanctioned or reported I velieve they would have told you at the time.
2. The penalty for introducing unathorised material into the exam can be serious, but you say yours were not relevant and you also did the tight thing by informing the invigilator.

You dont say how far into the exam, but i wouldnt be worried. You may get a warning. So far you dont appear to have even been told you will be reported.

Example you take in RS notes for a Maths exam. they will just use common sense.
Original post by 999tigger
CIE have their own rules, but looking at the JCQ rules which cover all the major UK exam boards, then I wouldnt worry.

1. If you were going to be sanctioned or reported I velieve they would have told you at the time.
2. The penalty for introducing unathorised material into the exam can be serious, but you say yours were not relevant and you also did the tight thing by informing the invigilator.

You dont say how far into the exam, but i wouldnt be worried. You may get a warning. So far you dont appear to have even been told you will be reported.

Example you take in RS notes for a Maths exam. they will just use common sense.

Thank you so much for the reply, it really calmed me down a lot. It was only about five minutes into the exam when I told the invigilator, so hopefully I'll be alright.
Original post by throwaway264822
Thank you so much for the reply, it really calmed me down a lot. It was only about five minutes into the exam when I told the invigilator, so hopefully I'll be alright.

99.9% sure nothing.
I could look up the cie rules, but I doubt they are any different.
They would tell you if there was an issue.
You can always ask the exam officer.
I expect they didnt think it was worth the paperwork.
In the unlikely event anything did happen post back.

Focus on your other exams.

Quick Reply

Latest