The Student Room Group

Studying at uni

So I will be going into my masters soon, I have never done any real life exams all have been open book. I’m very nervous does anyone have tips for studying in particular for uni exams.

My exams will be in research methods , essay based qs and McQS
Original post by Maryammiah1301
So I will be going into my masters soon, I have never done any real life exams all have been open book. I’m very nervous does anyone have tips for studying in particular for uni exams.

Get some past papers (universities usually have an archive of these) and do them unseen, no notes in the allowed time. That will help with both technique and understanding.

Congratulations @Maryammiah1301on entering your master's program! I understand that transitioning to traditional exams can be nerve-wracking, especially if you're used to open-book assessments. Here are a few tips to help you prepare effectively for your university exams in research methods, essay-based questions, and MCQs:
1. Organize Your Study Material:
Start by organizing your course materials and notes. Having a clear overview of what you need to study is essential.
2. Create a Study Schedule.
Develop a study schedule that allocates specific time blocks for each subject. Consistency in your study routine is key.
3. Practice with Past Papers:
If available, practice with past exam papers to get a sense of the format and types of questions you might encounter.
4. Active Learning:
Rather than passively reading, engage with the material actively. Take notes, make flashcards, and summarize key concepts in your own words.
5. Study Groups:
Consider forming or joining a study group. Discussing concepts with peers can help reinforce your understanding.
6. Seek Clarifications:
Don't hesitate to reach out to your professors or peers if you have questions or need clarification on topics.
7. Practice Time Management:
For essay-based questions, practice writing essays within a time limit. This will help you manage your time effectively during the exam.
8. Mindful Revision:
Before the exam, engage in mindful revision. Focus on the most important concepts and practice answering sample questions.

If you need further academic assistance, feel free to reach out to me via DM.

Best regards,
(edited 7 months ago)

Hiya :biggrin:

Congratulations on pursuing your master's degree! Transitioning from open-book exams to traditional exams can be challenging, but with the right study strategies, you can excel. Remember that everyone's approach to studying is unique, so find what works best for you.

Here are my top two tips for preparing for university exams :redface:

1. Understand the exam format

Familiarize yourself with the exam format, including the types of questions and the time allocated for each section. Sometimes understanding the task, especially when writing an essay, is the key to success. Also, knowing what to expect can significantly reduce anxiety. Once you know the format, you can actively practice using past papers or sample tasks from textbooks or the internet. For example, writing an essay also requires knowledge of its correct structure. It is worth taking some time to explore the technical side of writing an essay.

2. Create a study schedule and manage your time wisely

Plan your study schedule well in advance. The best way to be prepared is to study on a regular basis and test your knowledge regularly. Allocate specific times during a week for each subject and topic. Arrange a study session with friends during which you will test yourself, go through your notes and your textbook, or use flashcards. Find the method of studying that will be most effective for you. Then make sure you have time to learn and repeat. Take even a little more time to study before the exam. Also, remember to take breaks. Short, frequent breaks can help maintain your focus and prevent burnout.

I hope you will find that helpful! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions :wink: You can also chat with me and other student ambassadors through The Ambassador Platform.

Good luck with your master's exams!

Julia :h:
Psychology student
De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending