The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Laptop and software

Hi All, on my way to Uni and just realised that the free Office 365 for Education that I used at school will now no longer be available.
1) Do Uni's also use this free subscription service?
2) Best place to purchase a product key if not?
3) What other software is used except Mac ?

Any other advice re this topic appreciated.
Original post by Ed1248
Hi All, on my way to Uni and just realised that the free Office 365 for Education that I used at school will now no longer be available.
1) Do Uni's also use this free subscription service?
2) Best place to purchase a product key if not?
3) What other software is used except Mac ?

Any other advice re this topic appreciated.

I don't study at Leeds, but I think I would guess what they do at Leeds is similar to how they do things elsewhere.

1) Unis tend to offer free access to Microsoft Office on their computers for their students. I don't know of a uni that doesn't.
I don't think they offer their students subscription for their personal computers though.

2) You would want an authentic product key as opposed to getting one from an unauthorised distributor (legal issues). There isn't an official list for this, but they tend to charge similar prices. I would usually say Currys being OK.

3) As far as I know, Macs aren't generally used at universities - for a long list of reasons. Macs (Apple) is hardware as opposed to software; if you meant something different, please clarify.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Quick Reply

Latest