The Student Room Group

Different ways intelligent and non-intelligent people view celebrities

I know I had a bit of an over obssesion with some ppl worshipping celebs last summer, LOL. This is just a question not a rant of my views.

Do you think that to an certain degree/extent, more inteligent ppl see celebs as entertainment but think some celebs are overpaid and if they saw a celeb they admired, they would treat them the same and have an inteligent convo with them, these peoples heroes being soldiers and the like; while some less inteligent "pretty" people see celebs as heroes and scream at them? i.e. some teen girls over Elvis, the Beatles, Dan Ratcliffe, Zac Effron etc (who they fancy and are rich).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Intelligent people spend their time getting upset by this thread's spelling.

Dan Ratcliffe...
BTW the default words are said in the way it is to fit all the words I wanted to, to make it make sense.

Persoanlly I do believe my question above is true, for me it can be annoying as a straight 20 year old bloke to see some ppl of the opposte sex and of a similar age obssesing over rich celebs, why can't they obsess over non celeb males? or do they obsess over the celebs as they are celebs and wouldnt give them a 2nd look, if they weren't famous, which IMHO is shallow.
er...what?
Ok whatever, LOL, the only grace is at least the celebs im refering to i.e. Dan seem nice ppl.
So you're in the "inteligent" category are you...???

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Reply 6
xximstrongerthanthatxx
er...what?

:ditto:
Whilst I dont idolise celebrities or consider them to be heros, those who I genuinly believe have talent, I get kind of start struck by. I met one of my favourite bands back in 2006 and I was literally speechless. I know its ridiculous as at the end of the day they are people like the rest of us.

I think it also depends on your defintion of celebrity, I think for example that more unintelligent people probably idolise Jodie Marsh, than intelligent people, and that more intelligent people probably idolise great thinkers and world leaders than perhaps an unintelligent person would.

Of course however thats a huge generalisation and not necessarily applicable to the whole of society, but in some circumstances, id say that was most definatly the case.
I think some 'celebrities' are overpaid.
Reply 9
Define celebrity.
Reply 10
cpj1987
:ditto:

:ditto: :ditto:
That’s such an arrogant post, and stupid to generalize people like that.
What makes you think that you’re too intelligent to be interested in celebrities and only the “stupid” are. Seriously?
And “intelligent” people see them as overpaid? Really?
everybody knows most celebrities are overpaid
That is not an opinion, it is a fact.

If they weren’t famous IMHO people wouldn’t know who they were in the first place, so no, they wouldn't idolise them. Well done.
Stop thinking you have some sort of intellectual superiority over people who buy into that sort of thing.
Reply 12
I think there is definitely too much celebrity worship. I mean so they can act, it's not like they just invented a new drug to cure some cancer, or set foot on the moon, or built some wonderous building or discovered electricity, or somit. They're just people who can act/sing or whatever it is they do. If they can write as well though then they become a little more interesting. I admire creativity, not belting out someone elses song in some distinctive style, it's nice but it aint that good.
Reply 13
Define intelligence.
Reply 14
"LOL"

Yeah...I just added as much as you do to the thread with that.
There is a subtle difference between fame and infamy.

Do those featured in celeb magazines have talents?

The famous people I have time for are those who:

1) Are in the say top 0.01% of people in whatever field that they are in,
2) Have worked hard to get to where they are
3) Maintain their dignity despite all the temptations that fame brings
4) Use their fame for the good of society/the planet

It's like in bookshops where the biography section needs to be split - one section being historical biography and the other, "light entertainment" biography.

Are some celebs overpaid? Yes - but only because we have a system that allows them to be overpaid.

I do wonder what the effects of a "celebrity magazine tax" would have on the whole media circus. (Drive it all online?)
louisedotcom
Whilst I dont idolise celebrities or consider them to be heros, those who I genuinly believe have talent, I get kind of start struck by. I met one of my favourite bands back in 2006 and I was literally speechless. I know its ridiculous as at the end of the day they are people like the rest of us.

I think it also depends on your defintion of celebrity, I think for example that more unintelligent people probably idolise Jodie Marsh, than intelligent people, and that more intelligent people probably idolise great thinkers and world leaders than perhaps an unintelligent person would.

Of course however thats a huge generalisation and not necessarily applicable to the whole of society, but in some circumstances, id say that was most definatly the case.

Persoanlly I like a no of female celebs i.e Louisa Lytton but would not get starstruck by any celeb, thats more of female thing I think. Again persoanlly I donmt mond Jodie Marsh or Jordan etc, they are quite inteligent ppl themselves IMHO.
Reply 17
hertfordshireman
Persoanlly I like a no of female celebs i.e Louisa Lytton but would not get starstruck by any celeb, thats more of female thing I think. Again persoanlly I donmt mond Jodie Marsh or Jordan etc, they are quite inteligent ppl themselves IMHO.

Eh? Jodie Marsh Intelligent???!! Are we talking about the same woman who wears a belt as a top, and who tried to find a husband by advertising on MTV??!! :confused: :banghead:
Reply 18
you are chatting ****e my friend. I'm sure most people would be starstruck if they saw someone who was very famous, i think people's reaction upon meeting celebrities or famous people would depend on their personalities rather than their brain power.

I know if i just bumped into jessica alba or steven gerrard (for differing reasons obviously lol) i doubt id have an inteligent conversation on the tip of my tongue, would probably just stand there like an idiot and be lost for words.
lolilady---O
That’s such an arrogant post, and stupid to generalize people like that.
What makes you think that you’re too intelligent to be interested in celebrities and only the “stupid” are. Seriously?
And “intelligent” people see them as overpaid? Really?
everybody knows most celebrities are overpaid
That is not an opinion, it is a fact.

If they weren’t famous IMHO people wouldn’t know who they were in the first place, so no, they wouldn't idolise them. Well done.
Stop thinking you have some sort of intellectual superiority over people who buy into that sort of thing.

I did not say ppl interested in celebs are dumb or that I'm inteligent, at least not that I recall but I think that people who are inteligent don't go screaming or CHASING celebs (i.e. some girls to HSM star Zac Effron, which is an obssesion IMHO) or see celebs as heroes, as I said in another reply to my question I like Louisa Lytton but don't go around screamning in admiration or see them as heroes. Mabye I'm the only one who would not see a celeb as a hero or scream/obsess at them.

Latest

Trending

Trending