The Student Room Group

How to solve this trig!!!!

trig.JPG

i got 2theta + Pi/3 = Pi/6 and 5Pi/6 but i dont know how to get the other two values?
Reply 1
Original post by apaul322
trig.JPG

i got 2theta + Pi/3 = Pi/6 and 5Pi/6 but i dont know how to get the other two values?

Cosec(x)=1/sin(x)

Rewrite ur equation in terms of sin, rearrange and solve.

Then use ur CAST diagram or a graph to find all the solutions in the range.

Remember theta ranges from -pi to pi. But the term inside ur brackets is 2theta+pi/3 so u have to adjust accordingly.
Reply 2
It is likely you ended up with:

sin(2θ+(π/3))=1/2. \displaystyle \sin (2 \theta + (\pi/3)) = 1/2.

Note the range of θ \theta they are looking for: πθπ. - \pi \leq \theta \leq \pi .

Therefore the value of inverse sine must be within range:

2(π)+(π/3)2θ+(π/3)2(π)+(π/3) \therefore 2(-\pi) + (\pi/3) \quad \leq \quad 2\theta +(\pi / 3) \quad \leq \quad 2(\pi) + (\pi / 3)

    5π/32θ+(π/3)7π/3. \, \iff \, -5 \pi / 3 \quad \leq \quad 2 \theta + ( \pi / 3) \quad \leq \quad 7 \pi / 3.

Therefore find the inverse sine values for: sin(2θ+(π/3))=1/2 \sin (2 \theta + (\pi/3)) = 1/2 in the new range above.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Shaanv
Cosec(x)=1/sin(x)

Rewrite ur equation in terms of sin, rearrange and solve.

Then use ur CAST diagram or a graph to find all the solutions in the range.

Remember theta ranges from -pi to pi. But the term inside ur brackets is 2theta+pi/3 so u have to adjust accordingly.

thats what i did i got the first two values of the answer right but i dont know how they got the last two
Original post by apaul322
thats what i did i got the first two values of the answer right but i dont know how they got the last two

Use the fact that the sine graph repeats itself every 360 degrees, or 2pi radians.

Quick Reply

Latest