The Student Room Group

GCSE maths question help

Pls help on this. I do not know why u divide by 2 in question 15b. This is question paper https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/papers/EDEXCEL3Hans.pdf
This is mark scheme https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/papers/EDEXCEL3HMS.pdf
Thanks
i cannot understand why you need to divide by two
i’m guessing it’s because there are 2 people in a pair, before you divided it by 2 that would have been the total number of people and the final answer was how many pairs
Reply 3
Original post by cerysdafina
i’m guessing it’s because there are 2 people in a pair, before you divided it by 2 that would have been the total number of people and the final answer was how many pairs

But in part A they didn’t divide by 2
Isn't it because there will be two of each combination - ie male 1 and male 15 is the same pair as male 15 with male 1?
ok i now understand it:

17x16 gives you all the pairs possible, however there are 2 people in a pair, so the answer must be halved (hence the division by 2)
I hope this helps you understand if not, say and i will try to explain it better :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by danielwinstanley
Isn't it because there will be two of each combination - ie male 1 and male 15 is the same pair as male 15 with male 1?

Cant u say the same with part A. And part A didn’t divide by 2
Reply 7
Original post by a.meadow
ok i now understand it:

17x16 gives you all the pairs possible, however there are 2 people in a pair, so the answer must be halved (hence the division by 2)
I hope this helps you understand if not, say and i will try to explain it better :smile:

Yes but for part A they didn’t halve it and that question was talking about pairs too
Original post by Defence11
Cant u say the same with part A. And part A didn’t divide by 2

No because you're picking a male then a female - they're not in the same category ie Male 4 and Female 7 is different to Male 7 and Female 4. In the second part you're picking two random males.
Reply 9
No because you're picking a male then a female - they're not in the same category ie Male 4 and Female 7 is different to Male 7 and Female 4. In the second part you're picking two random males.

How is male 4 and female 7 different to male 7 and female 4. They are the same thing. So I don’t see why u don’t halve this one too
How is male 4 and female 7 different to male 7 and female 4. They are the same thing. So I don’t see why u don’t halve this one too

Because male 4 and male 7 are two totally different people.
Reply 11
Because male 4 and male 7 are two totally different people.

What I meant to say is how is male 4 and female 7 different to female 7 and male 4
What I meant to say is how is male 4 and female 7 different to female 7 and male 4

It isn't.

Imagine you've got all the names in a bag - all the males in one bag and all the females in the other bag.

If you pick a male and a female, the only variation you can get is say male 7 and female 2. There is only one way you can select male 7 and female 2 because you're selecting one from each of the bags,

If you pick two males from the same bag, you could get male 2 and male 3 or male 3 then male 2. They're from the same bag and so are the same combination. There are two possible ways you could get male 2 and 3.
Reply 13
It isn't.

Imagine you've got all the names in a bag - all the males in one bag and all the females in the other bag.

If you pick a male and a female, the only variation you can get is say male 7 and female 2. There is only one way you can select male 7 and female 2 because you're selecting one from each of the bags,

If you pick two males from the same bag, you could get male 2 and male 3 or male 3 then male 2. They're from the same bag and so are the same combination. There are two possible ways you could get male 2 and 3.

But u could get female 2 and male 7 and they are the same as male 7 and female 2
[QUOTE="Defence11;77968168"]But u could get female 2 and male 7 and they are the same as male 7 and female 2
But u could get female 2 and male 7 and they are the same as male 7 and female 2

The way I interpreted the question is that they’re going to choose the males and females in the same order - eg choose male then female, male them female ect or female then male, female then male.

Let’s say they were all from the same bag, you could end up getting two males or two females which isn’t the desired outcome. By choosing each one separately, you pick one male and one female. You’d do this by choosing one from one bag and one from the other.

Sorry, it’s hard to explain.

For the first one you basically match up each man with each woman. 1 man could go with 26 women, and there's 17 men so the number of possible pairs is 26 + 26 +26 ... 17 times (26 x 17). - each time you add 26, there is a different man in the pair, so all the pairs are unique

For the second one, 1 man could go with 16 other men, so it should be 17 x 16, but when you do this, you get pairs like man 1 + man 2, and man 2 + man 1 counted as 2 different pairs.

Imagine that man 1 is paired with the 16 other men, which gives 16 pairs, but man 2 can only pair with 15 other men (because he has already paired with man 1). This makes it 16 + 15 + 14 ... which is the same as (16x17)/2
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest