The Student Room Group

My sister is severely depressed and suffers social anxiety (lengthy post)

Hello,

My sister has suffered from severe*depression and social anxiety for 6 years now. She has barely left home in those 6 years. The odd occasions she went out was for doctor appointments, which my parents had to sort-of force her to go to (for her diabetes). After she turned 19 the appointments were of her own-will to attend, and since then she has not attended to*any doctors. She was put on an antidepressant about 4 years ago, however the few times she took it, her symptoms worsened and she felt more anxious. Where after, she refused to take them because of how they made her feel. After that, about 2 years ago we took her to a psychiatrist, she had high hopes, despite her social anxiety she was able to get herself in that office a few times. However, once inside, she was unable to talk at ALL. she wanted to talk but just couldn’t. I would guess this is due to her social anxiety. Eventually she stopped going after 2-3 unsuccessful visits (the psychiatrist wanted her to TALK, but it was always my dad or I speaking on her behalf). I noticed the few instances she did go out, it was the same in any situation,*She was just unable to talk. In the past year I feel like things have worsened for her. She is now 21. My parents and I simply don’t know what to do. They have consulted with their family doctor on the side. We want her to get better, but the few times she’s has asked for*help, she was left disappointed due to her inability to speak in public. And online counselling, for her it’s the same as being face to*Face with another person. She goes into this very sad/angry phase when she really starts remembering all the things in the past and why she has become the way she is. She is calm and composed the entire day and the next minute she begins to radically screams and cry and grabs her head. I fear getting her into a forced hospitaliation, what if that made things worse, because she absolutely hates the idea of being seen in her bare state*by others.*She wants to get better, she says she is ‘not a good person’. She hates the way she is. But she sees no solutions in site.
Sad story and even I suffer from panic attacks and cannot go to crowded public places and even have ocd a bit
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

My sister has suffered from severe*depression and social anxiety for 6 years now. She has barely left home in those 6 years. The odd occasions she went out was for doctor appointments, which my parents had to sort-of force her to go to (for her diabetes). After she turned 19 the appointments were of her own-will to attend, and since then she has not attended to*any doctors. She was put on an antidepressant about 4 years ago, however the few times she took it, her symptoms worsened and she felt more anxious. Where after, she refused to take them because of how they made her feel. After that, about 2 years ago we took her to a psychiatrist, she had high hopes, despite her social anxiety she was able to get herself in that office a few times. However, once inside, she was unable to talk at ALL. she wanted to talk but just couldn’t. I would guess this is due to her social anxiety. Eventually she stopped going after 2-3 unsuccessful visits (the psychiatrist wanted her to TALK, but it was always my dad or I speaking on her behalf). I noticed the few instances she did go out, it was the same in any situation,*She was just unable to talk. In the past year I feel like things have worsened for her. She is now 21. My parents and I simply don’t know what to do. They have consulted with their family doctor on the side. We want her to get better, but the few times she’s has asked for*help, she was left disappointed due to her inability to speak in public. And online counselling, for her it’s the same as being face to*Face with another person. She goes into this very sad/angry phase when she really starts remembering all the things in the past and why she has become the way she is. She is calm and composed the entire day and the next minute she begins to radically screams and cry and grabs her head. I fear getting her into a forced hospitaliation, what if that made things worse, because she absolutely hates the idea of being seen in her bare state*by others.*She wants to get better, she says she is ‘not a good person’. She hates the way she is. But she sees no solutions in site.

Antidepressants take couple weeks to work also there are various types of antidepressants so perhaps the ones she was given weren't suited to her.Is she has trouble speaking perhaps she could write things down and communicate that way this is how i communicate with my psychiatrist with letters and journals recording how I feel so I don't forget everything I need to say.She should really look after her diabetes it is a very serious illness if not under control it could be very serious e.g. loss of eyesight,upper limb amputation and there are also problems with healing wounds.What is it that makes her anxious is it fear of embarrassment?I used to be really fearful of speaking in public but I told myself the only thing I can gain from this is help which outweighs any of my fears of speaking.Probably not very helpful.Seeing a private psychiatrist is much better as you can be seen right away the same week seeking psychiatric help via the NHS is very hard as the waiting lists are very long.

Before taking antidepressants I would be calm and the next minute shouting my head off antidepressants really clear your mind and keep you more calm and at ease.Anxiety tablets are good to from experience as they have a sedative effect so you are very calm.The only issue I had with my antidepressants was lack of sleep but sleeping medication helps a lot and an increase in anxiety but then you have anxiety medicine.I must say with the NHS I had no luck sorting out my mental illness as not only did it take months to get seen I felt like things were rushed when I was seen while privately the psychiatrist takes their time and they work with you to figure out what is best for you to come up with the right medicines for you as different ones help different things and have different side effects for example if you have problems with ocd and depression they may give you zoloft as it can treat both.While in the NHS they are very hesitant to prescribe anything and also GP tends to prescribe the antidepressants however their knowledge isn't very extensive when it comes to psychoactive drugs so they prescribe common ones which may not be necessarily well suited to you.When my mum received antidepressants from gp she had really bad symptoms so she stopped taking them but after years of problems with mental illness she sought help privately and finally got the helps she needed.

I am not saying antidepressants will change everything in an instant there are still days that are quite bad but overall it makes things more neutral and your mind is very quiet so you don't have overwhelming thoughts consuming you 24/7.Therapy is very useful to combine with medicine which I am on a waiting list to get for 7 months but it should help.With your sister I cannot stress writing things down if she struggles to speak as perhaps that way she could get help as the doctors and psychologists could really know how she feels and her thinking patterns and give her proper diagnosis etc.I hope by sharing my experience with depression medicine an anxiety medicine it helped somewhat.
I would recommend also talking to her. It's not a cure but it can build up self-confidence with genuine compliments, smiles and going out of your way to do nice things :smile: Make sure she has a network of people including you so she can be her best self
Your article includes a very important information line.

You say that your sister has barely left the house in 6 years.

Not being outside means that she is very likely to be vitamin D deficit.

Most vitamin D comes from sun exposure and food is very unlikely to supply all your needs.

The symptoms of vitamin D deficiency include depression and anxiety.

Nutritionally the other cause of anxiety is likely to be lack of magnesium which comes from not
eating a balanced diet.

Irony is when you are feeling depressed you will not be eating well

You can confirm this by looking online particularly at "the vitamin D solution book"

Get a GP appointment booked today and ask for an appointment with a practice nurse to get an appointment quicker.
Ask for a vitamin D test as these are now becoming more common.

This information is known from the personal experience of a friend.
Reply 5
Dear friend I'm so sorry for your sister's ailment.
Let discuss about diabetes

Physical Effects of Diabetes

Your symptoms might be mild enough that you may dismiss them at first. Some early symptoms could include:
Lack of energy
Constant hunger
Dry mouth
Fatigue
Itchy skin
Weight loss
Blurry vision
Frequent urination
Excessive thirst

Long-term complications of diabetes include:
Kidney damage increased risk of kidney failure or irreversible end-stage kidney disease
Eye damage increased risk of developing cataracts, glaucoma, retinopathy and blindness.

Mental and Emotional Effects of Diabetes

Anxiety
Depression
Eating disorders

Current Treatments Available for Type 2 Diabetes and Their Side Effects
Insulin

Many individuals who have type 2 diabetes require insulin treatment. Types of insulin that include:
Long-acting insulin
Rapid-acting insulin
Intermediate options
Side Effects of Insulin

Low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, is the main side effect of insulin. Other side effects may include:
Hunger
Headache
Tremors
Sweating
Trouble concentrating
Weakness
Fast heartbeat
Rapid breathing
Seizures
Fainting
Reply 6
Now let me tAlk about the best medicine for suppressing diabetes without any side effects
How/Why Marijuana Can Be an Effective Treatment for Types of Diabetes*
Medical marijuana for type 2 diabetes is another option. Prevention of seizures, neurological pain and blindness can increase the quality of life in people with adult-onset diabetes. Medical marijuana is showing great potential in many of these areas. Furthermore, the components of marijuana some treatments do not produce psychoactive results. Therefore, it may eventually be considered for juvenile diabetes as well. Some forms of medical marijuana can increase hunger, and you should ehat Symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes Can Medical Marijuana Treat?
Some animal-based studies recently have shown a variety of health benefits with marijuana and type 2 diabetes treatment. at healthy foods if your aThe American Alliance for Medical Cannabis (AAMC) published a research paper that suggests that medical weed can help:
Prevent nerve inflammation
Stabilize blood sugars
Relieve neuropathic pain
Ease neuropathy pain
Suppress arterial inflammation
Improve circulation and keep blood vessels open
Lower blood pressure over time
Relieve restless leg syndrome (RLS)
Relieve gastrointestinal (GI) disorder pain and muscle cramps
Relieve tingling in feet and hands
Because this condition is complex and there’s still a lack of understanding, the benefits and drawbacks of marijuana for type 2 diabetes treatment in humans research is still in its early stages. On the other hand, animal studies have helped open doors for our understanding.
Best Methods of Marijuana Treatment to Use to Treat Type 2 Diabetes Symptoms
With the medical cannabis for type 2 diabetes industry expanding, doctors and patients look for useful ways to use this herb in treatment. The good news is there are other methods of use outside of smoking it. And, although many people still use traditional methods, they’re replacing these traditional methods with more high-tech and safer alternatives like:
Edibles
Vaporizers
Tinctures and Oils
Suppositories and Topicals
With science evolving around cannabis and type 2 diabetes treatment and providing us with a better understanding of medical pot, more useful and safer methods are becoming more readily available.
I don't know if cannabis is legalized in U.K.
If not then you need a trip to USA
Do more research
You will thank me later
Finally weed is not what we think it is negatively
Let's wake up to see the other side of the coin.
Reply 7
Not an advice but bless you for being a helpful sister to her
Reply 8
I would recommend (it worked with me as a 18 yr old with depression and social anxiety) is find someone who knows what she is going through, someone who could try and make a connection with her. As this made me want to go out more as I wanted to be with them, this helped my social anxiety as I was with someone I enjoyed but also put me in a position I that I was uncomfortable with but eventually got use to. as well as feel good because it wasn’t a family member so it felt like I was progressing with my social anxiety.

This eventually helped my depression as I was happy with them and then seemed that the social anxiety was hindering my life as much. This is because the major of my depression was due to my social anxiety because I wanted to be more outgoing but never could which just got me more down

Quick Reply

Latest