The Student Room Group

Sixth-form

Hey guys, I'm in year 10 currently and I just wanted to know when a good time would be to start looking for sixth forms, also im not sure how it works with the whole sixth form thing. Do you get your results then based on them your sixth form picks u or not? Or do your year 11 mocks /year10 (end of years) go to the sixth form and thats what they decide on?
I would say beginning of September, but it's really not that urgent, but I knew I wanted to stay at my school for sixth form so I only applied to my own. You could start looking around during open days and evenings but again, it's really not that important, unless you really want to look round before you go. You apply first in the summer through UCAS and then on results day it will define whether you got in or not. If you do not get the grades they want you to have then they might interview you to see whether you are capable or not of attending that school x
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks so much for ur help, I want to try get into St Dominics? (Not sure if you've heard of it) but don't your sixth form look at mocks or predicted gcse grades then make a decision before your actual gcse grades come out because that's what I thought they do x also what do u mean by it will define if you got in or not? Like do they send u an email or letter or something saying that you got in after you get your results?
Kind of, you apply with predicted grades, as far as I can remember, and then you'll know whether you got in on results day. Often schools will ask for a minimum amount of grades e.g. my school has a minimum grade entry requirements of atleast 5 A*-B grades / 5 9-6 grades for you to get into the school. On results day, I met that criteria and so I got offered a place. They offer you places through UCAS. When you apply, you'll receive conditional/unconditional offers from the schools you have applied to. I got a conditional offer, meaning that only if I got the grades, I would be offered a place xx
Original post by kayapatelx
Kind of, you apply with predicted grades, as far as I can remember, and then you'll know whether you got in on results day. Often schools will ask for a minimum amount of grades e.g. my school has a minimum grade entry requirements of atleast 5 A*-B grades / 5 9-6 grades for you to get into the school. On results day, I met that criteria and so I got offered a place. They offer you places through UCAS. When you apply, you'll receive conditional/unconditional offers from the schools you have applied to. I got a conditional offer, meaning that only if I got the grades, I would be offered a place xx

Ucas? That’s for university
Reply 5
I’m in the same year as you and Ive already looked around at 6th forms, you usually apply in Oct/sept tho so don’t worry yet (you should prolly start researching tho)
Reply 6
thanks so much for your help x
Original post by Farhana001
Ucas? That’s for university

UCAS as in UCASProgress, everyone applies for sixth form through UCAS - you get a login when you turn 16 from the local council
Reply 8
you don’t always apply through UCAS, some colleges you apply to via their website
UCAS as in UCASProgress, everyone applies for sixth form through UCAS - you get a login when you turn 16 from the local council

maybe where you live; I live in London and am in year 12 have never heard of that. I applied for 6 schools via their websites, we were never told about UCAS.
yeash same
Most sixth forms have a deadline around February so I would say start looking around September but it doesn't need to be your only focus. I would say look for a sixth form that you will be able to do the subjects you want to do and succeed :smile:

Yeah i haven’t heard of that till know most people do it through the schools portal or just fill in a written application
Original post by Farhana001
Yeah i haven’t heard of that till know most people do it through the schools portal or just fill in a written application

literally have never heard of that!! X

Quick Reply

Latest