The Student Room Group

picking a sixth form

okay, this will be a long one.

i basically have 2 sixth forms i think i will most likely get into but i don’t know what one to pick. i need help deciding which one because both have pros and cons but i’m very indecisive.

sixth form one is a sixth form in a school, meaning i’ll have to see highschool children everyday but it’s a small different building. it feels like a school still. it’s said it had more than above average grades when i went to the opening evening. i’ve asked one of my neighbours who went there but she said she dropped out because the sixth form didn’t help their studies. they wanted to make their students do stuff ‘independently’ which i actually prefer. academically this one is better but a con is that none of my freinds are going meaning i have to start again basically.

sixth form two is a sixth form college. it has more of a college feel to it and it isn’t connected to a highschool. it’s more of a ‘community school’; it’s has average grades, which means i might not achieve as high as the other sixth form but it’s more ‘friendly’ and has community. (i don’t know how to describe it lol), i don’t necessarily need ‘community’ but my freinds are going which is a pro. the con is that it is ‘less’ academic than the other one.

i really don’t know what to choose . i know i have 6+ months before i get accepted and decide but i want to start thinking about it now.

please give advice and your experience if you’ve been to sixth forms like these.
Hey I am in Yr12 and I go to a sixth form that sounds similar as your first choice. Since the first one seems to be doing better academically and you are thinking of going into something like medicine then that would most likely be a better choice. As for the independent part I think that is a benefit esp counting the fact that you like the idea of that since it kind of prepares you for university and you would most likely have teachers to help you after class if you didn’t understand something. As for the second school, despite them having lower grades, it is still up to you if you are going to stay consistent with your work and willing to put in the hard work then you should be fine, my school seems to have above average grades but there are many students who don’t put in the work and just mess about. You should probably think over the next few months about what your priorities are, as there’s a chance that you may drift away from your friends or you could still stay in touch as normal I have a friend who is still really close with her primary friends and they talk everyday. Also, starting out new may seem daunting but at my sixth form the gap between the external and internal students faded really quickly and it’s like they were there the whole time and for the most part people in sixth form want to make new friends especially with people in the class and it would also be a good way to prepare for university’s social life if you are thinking of going. Not only that, we all share the same stress of starting a levels and you could easily bond over that. Just one tip of advice, when I was in a similar position as you I thought that I would go to one sixth form and then I changed my mind right before gcse exams, I would recommend to give yourself a break from thinking between where to go if you ever get overwhelmed and give yourself time to decide, so many things could happen between now and the time you officially have to decide but I hope you make a decision that suits you well and good luck at GCSEs and take into consideration how you were feeling when you attended these schools :smile:))

P.S A bit more about my sixth form, yeah there are a lot of the high school children walking around but you get used to it, it’s not that big of a nuisance as some people make it out to be but it kind of depends if they leave their classes early or not cuz then it can get a bit crowded. My school has a designated area for the sixth formers so sometimes you kind if forget about them.
Reply 2
Original post by londonstudentt
Hey I am in Yr12 and I go to a sixth form that sounds similar as your first choice. Since the first one seems to be doing better academically and you are thinking of going into something like medicine then that would most likely be a better choice. As for the independent part I think that is a benefit esp counting the fact that you like the idea of that since it kind of prepares you for university and you would most likely have teachers to help you after class if you didn’t understand something. As for the second school, despite them having lower grades, it is still up to you if you are going to stay consistent with your work and willing to put in the hard work then you should be fine, my school seems to have above average grades but there are many students who don’t put in the work and just mess about. You should probably think over the next few months about what your priorities are, as there’s a chance that you may drift away from your friends or you could still stay in touch as normal I have a friend who is still really close with her primary friends and they talk everyday. Also, starting out new may seem daunting but at my sixth form the gap between the external and internal students faded really quickly and it’s like they were there the whole time and for the most part people in sixth form want to make new friends especially with people in the class and it would also be a good way to prepare for university’s social life if you are thinking of going. Not only that, we all share the same stress of starting a levels and you could easily bond over that. Just one tip of advice, when I was in a similar position as you I thought that I would go to one sixth form and then I changed my mind right before gcse exams, I would recommend to give yourself a break from thinking between where to go if you ever get overwhelmed and give yourself time to decide, so many things could happen between now and the time you officially have to decide but I hope you make a decision that suits you well and good luck at GCSEs and take into consideration how you were feeling when you attended these schools :smile:))

P.S A bit more about my sixth form, yeah there are a lot of the high school children walking around but you get used to it, it’s not that big of a nuisance as some people make it out to be but it kind of depends if they leave their classes early or not cuz then it can get a bit crowded. My school has a designated area for the sixth formers so sometimes you kind if forget about them.

ah thank you ! my dad has always urged me to go to the more academic sixth form because he wants me to do well in life because he never got the help from his parents and so on, meaning im kind of ‘pressured’ to decide what sixth form i want to go to know .

i also don’t want to do a more competitive course in uni like medicine, but i still want to get good grades. for me grades always come first no matter what.
Original post by evietttt07
ah thank you ! my dad has always urged me to go to the more academic sixth form because he wants me to do well in life because he never got the help from his parents and so on, meaning im kind of ‘pressured’ to decide what sixth form i want to go to know .

i also don’t want to do a more competitive course in uni like medicine, but i still want to get good grades. for me grades always come first no matter what.

Yh I get that my dad said the same things to me so yh don’t go if the only reason is because you dad tells you to listening to yourself is very important in these situations since you’ll be spending most of your life for the next two years in that school. You seem to be a very bright and determined person so things will most likely turn out for the best with your attitude , best of luckk 🙂
Reply 4
Original post by londonstudentt
Original post by evietttt07

Yh I get that my dad said the same things to me so yh don’t go if the only reason is because you dad tells you to listening to yourself is very important in these situations since you’ll be spending most of your life for the next two years in that school. You seem to be a very bright and determined person so things will most likely turn out for the best with your attitude , best of luckk 🙂

thank you very much for the advice😄☺️☺️ :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending