The Student Room Group

How to stop being anxious?

I have been on meds after being diagnosed with GAD. Been out of meds for I guess 4 to 6 months. I am so tired of feeling anxious out of nowhere! I suspect even the people closest to me, and I know deep down this constant worry is tiring me, it's illogical, but I can't help it. I merge horrible news headlines with my own reality. If I hear a girl was raped in a bus, I avoid busses altogether until my mind finds something else to overthink about. I am never out of the cycle. Lately, I'm having restless sleep. I used to be so productive. How do I stop it once and for all?

(no insensitive comments please)
Original post by Anonymous
I have been on meds after being diagnosed with GAD. Been out of meds for I guess 4 to 6 months. I am so tired of feeling anxious out of nowhere! I suspect even the people closest to me, and I know deep down this constant worry is tiring me, it's illogical, but I can't help it. I merge horrible news headlines with my own reality. If I hear a girl was raped in a bus, I avoid busses altogether until my mind finds something else to overthink about. I am never out of the cycle. Lately, I'm having restless sleep. I used to be so productive. How do I stop it once and for all?

(no insensitive comments please)

Did you come off meds with the approval of your doctor?

Are you in CBT therapy? That will give you the methods to train your brain to stop worrying as much.

Sounds as though it could be poor stress handling, low confidence, and self-esteem issues.

The two main charities for anxiety are

https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/anxiety-type/generalised-anxiety-disorder/

https://www.nopanic.org.uk/
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Did you come off meds with the approval of your doctor?

Are you in CBT therapy? That will give you the methods to train your brain to stop worrying as much.

Sounds as though it could be poor stress handling, low confidence, and self-esteem issues.

The two main charities for anxiety are

https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/anxiety-type/generalised-anxiety-disorder/

https://www.nopanic.org.uk/

(I'm sorry if I'm dumping too much onto this thread.) The doctor said 3 months of meds should be enough, and I should drop it when I feel I'm ready. The drug was (i think) was not a powerful one, but when I was on meds, I did feel a noticeable change. I was okay the few months out of meds. But recently, it is just spiraling downhill, really fast. I thought I'd be alright, but I'm just coming up with such outlandish worries and I suspect even people closest to me, so I'm pretty much alone with my thoughts 24/7 and every day I microanalyse everything to further support my suspicions. I know it is illogical... I don't wanna even go to the psychiatrist, just because I don't wanna open up SO MUCH to a complete stranger, and I don't think anything will work on me. Thanks for the reply though. :smile:
I do this a lot too. Correction: did this a lot. Past tense. I have always had it. The good news? You can manage it! As you know (because you just said it) it’s ALL inside of YOUR head. You CAN control your own mind. The anxiety is simply the fear you perceive you have. Mine was caused by wondering what the other person was thinking of me and fearing I’d look stupid. When I realized I looked stupid because of my fear, I created confidence. I did the fake it til you make it thing, and tried to act confident. Miraculously, it worked!! By simply focusing on myself and my own actions, not thinking of others at all, and acting confident, I never experienced fear anymore. I was happy. I gave a speech in class once and was told by my peers that I was a gifted speaker and that they wished they could speak like me. Inside, I laughed because not long before that, I was absolutely crippled by the thought of speaking in public. You have to understand that YOU are in control of your life and emotions. Forget what anyone else says. F them all. It’s your life, your world... you call the shots! If anyone gets in your way, boom! 💥 Boom! Take Em out! You can do this. Believe and you shall achieve!

Quick Reply

Latest