The Student Room Group

Aqa a-level psychology: Paper 1 unofficial mark scheme *04/06/18

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CarefreeDreams
No problem, I don't mind clarifying! What you just stated there is exactly what you were basically meant to do. I also mention Lucas A03 point= shows ISI, and I talked about the engineering students to also support individuals difference when it comes to ISI. And I said the conformist time leading to NSI.

But yeah saying about Asch asking participants to write down answers which shows NSI.

Thank you, hope English goes just as well! Got any exams coming up other than psych on Fri?

Oh amazing!! Im pretty sure thats what i did 🙈🙈 thank you for clarifying!

You sound like you really know your stuff - im sure youll smash english! I have geography on friday too - wont be a fun day!
Original post by saziz0821
i feel the exact same way! the wording really confused me and i quickly assumed it was a question on normative/informational influence so i did an essay on that but then everyone after the exam said they spoke about asch and i panicked...

I know my teacher said exactly the same thing to me too, they were just trying to catch you out and see if you actually read what the question was asking for. Coz when people think of conformity, they immediately go to Asch, Zimbardo but the question was asking why- meaning you had to refer to the explanations for conformity.

You still did a good essay, I believe so be proud!
Original post by 1_Zainn_
That’s the mistake I think for a01 I did link aschoff original study to Nsi and then he variation including groups size etc to isi

But my a03 I talk about asch lab study advs and disadvantages

Then ethical issues second evaluation

Then Perrin and spencer

My ao3 I never link to isi and nsi though

How many marks u reckon I would get out of 16 ?

Well, you still did make the links which was what they were really asking from you. Maybe you might have need some more elaboration to get more marks esp. in the evaluation. So I'm guessing about 11 or 12 out of 16, but that would be a harsh assessment. I believed it would be marked down due to the fact you needed to link Asch's research if you were going to talk about it more to NSI and ISI and done the same with evaluation, so 2 marks down in A03 and likewise for A01.

Again, I am in no way claiming to be a professional, so this is just speculation, but I hope this helps and gives you some piece of mind, so you can rock Paper 2!
Original post by StudentAlev
I wrote about Deutsch and Gerard - normative and social influence. I know it said research however I used it in my evaluation (i think)

NSI -
strength - Asch's research
weaknesses - Mcghee and Teevan individual differences
ISI-
strength - Lucas research (maths difficultly)
weaknessess - Perrin and spencer (enginering pupils)

I am hoping to gain some credit still
:s-smilie::frown:

You taught me something new, my teacher never told us Deutsch and Gerard. I just looked at it now and another study: Sherif (1935) Autokinetic Experiment and I suppose you could have used it for your A01 point, you may be knocked down by about 1 or 2 marks, because its not key psychological study. But you shouldn't worry about that.

If you explained your A03 points well, like I'm sure you did and linked it to the role of NSI and ISI, then you have nothing to worry about.

Be proud! :biggrin:
Original post by happygolucky00
Oh amazing!! Im pretty sure thats what i did 🙈🙈 thank you for clarifying!

You sound like you really know your stuff - im sure youll smash english! I have geography on friday too - wont be a fun day!

No problem! I sure hope, I do well for English- last year was a joke of a year, we had soo many different teachers. But this year has been good to me, went from C's to A's, which I hope will transfer into these English Lit exams.

Hope you do well for your Geography, its the human exam right? My friend says she enjoys only certain aspects of the paper- I'm sure you'll be fine!
No problem! I sure hope, I do well for English- last year was a joke of a year, we had soo many different teachers. But this year has been good to me, went from C's to A's, which I hope will transfer into these English Lit exams.

Hope you do well for your Geography, its the human exam right? My friend says she enjoys only certain aspects of the paper- I'm sure you'll be fine!

Yep its human! I agree - i really dont like half of this paper. But anyway good luck!! Im sure you’ll do fab :smile:
Well, you still did make the links which was what they were really asking from you. Maybe you might have need some more elaboration to get more marks esp. in the evaluation. So I'm guessing about 11 or 12 out of 16, but that would be a harsh assessment. I believed it would be marked down due to the fact you needed to link Asch's research if you were going to talk about it more to NSI and ISI and done the same with evaluation, so 2 marks down in A03 and likewise for A01.

Again, I am in no way claiming to be a professional, so this is just speculation, but I hope this helps and gives you some piece of mind, so you can rock Paper 2!

Good luck to you too, thx
3) Give one strength of the working memory model? (4 marks)
- support for the existence of the visuo spatial sketchpad due to the dual task performance- Baddeley (1975) found that participants had difficulty performing 2 visual tasks (tracking a light + describing the letter F) than one visual and one verbal task. This is because the 2 visual tasks have to compete for space in the VSS whereas the visual and verbal task doesn't have to do this.

5) Gave a little scenario about poor Aaron leaving an exam feeling bad because he did his exam in an unfamiliar room and he had studied both Spanish and French and felt like he mix up a lot of the words. Discuss one explanation of forgetting a refer to Adam and his situation? (4 marks)
- I said retrieval failure, but leaned more of my explanation on context-dependent forgetting. I pick up on the 'unfamiliar room' meaning he didn't have the same contextual cues he had at learning and at recall, then I applied it to his scenario.

6) Briefly evaluate the explanation for forgetting you just stated previously? (4 marks)
-Godden and Baddeley (1980) replicated their study but instead of testing recall they tested recognition. Found no context-dependent effects in any of the 4 performance categories, shows context dependent effects only occur when tested with recall rather than recognition.

for 3 i said that the model can be used to explain real life cases - used the example of KF who couldnt recall digits when the were read TO him but could when he read them himself, supporting the idea of different stores for STM, so it has huge explanatory power. do you think that sounds okay??

for 5 i spoke about anxiety and yerkes-dodson but then realised i was wrong and made it into anxiety within state-dependent forgetting? then for 6 i used Johnson and scott/palmer's weapon focus with anxiety and recall, as well as yuille and cutshall. do you think THIS sounds okay as well hahah. im just really worried ive lost loads of marks for misinterpretting!

Hi, my teacher responded by email today, so I thought I'd just post it:

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 08.37.32.png
Hi, my teacher responded by email today, so I thought I'd just post it:

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 08.37.32.png

Ohhh that means ive lost 8 marks 😭😭 thanks though x
Ohhh that means ive lost 8 marks 😭😭 thanks though x

Remember, its only what she believes, you may have picked up marks somewhere in those 8 x
Heey everyone!

How did you find Paper 2 today? I don’t believe I’m gonna do a mark scheme for this one becoz I’m just tired rn. But I’ll be happy to discuss some answers here.

I loved the 16 marker so much, it was beautiful. The first question for approaches threw me a little the one for which was false for the cognitive but I think I got it.

Biopsychology was a lot better than I thought, the only one I struggle with probably was the one on why neurons travel one direction in the synapse, but from speaking to my teacher I think I got 2/3 at least.

Research again went better than I thought, maybe I’d lost marks on the graph, the one on content analysis.

But yeah I thought it went a heck of a lot better than I imagined, just need to focus on Paper 3 now.

Let me know how you did below! :biggrin:
Slowly very slowly making a mark scheme for this Paper 2 found here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5421150

Please do be patient, I'm so tired!
I've started a separate thread for Paper 3 (everyones welcome), but I will be focusing on Issues & Debates, Stress, Relationships and Forensics Psychology, so when the time comes I'll do a mark scheme for that too. But like I said everyone is welcome: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5415806

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending