The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics M2 15th June 2018 - Unofficial Mark Scheme & Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Timf998
7d) origional velocity = 21i/sqrt5 + 42j/sqrt5
This dot product with (21i/sqrt5 +xj)=0 when they are perpendicular therefore you can solve for x from that which is the verticle velocity at B it was around -0.9 then use suvat to find the time at B which was about 2.01s

I don't know what you did, but I got x as -4.69 using dot product which I also got from using the triangle method, which follows through to a distance of 22.5. Don't worry about it though sounds like several people made the same mistake as you.
Original post by Timf998
This dot product with (21i/sqrt5 +xj)=0 when they are perpendicular therefore you can solve for x from that which is the verticle velocity at B it was around -0.9 then use suvat to find the time at B which was about 2.01s

Then just 21/sqrt5 multiplied by 2.01ish gave you the horizontal distance between o and B and it was about 18.9

Thank you
For the last question I found the angle between the initial velocity and the horizontal. I then minused that from 90 to get an angle of around 68. I then used this angle to find tan theta which is the ratio between the final velocities. Would I get working out marks?
Reply 63
Original post by Theo_Crookes
Do you remember how many marks 7d was worth?

5 marks pretty sure
Original post by Mystelle
Was I on the right track if I said mew = (2cos^2theta -2)/2(costheta)(sintheta)

Original post by plklupu
They usually like their 2 or 3 sig figs, regardless - you should be fine.

For the show that question i got myu=(cos^2theta)/2-sinthetacostheta
how many marks will i lose?
because it said show that myu= sinthetacostheta / 2-cos^2theta
Original post by sunshineboysb
why is 6c -i - 149/3j isn't it in the direction of from A to B?

Thats what I had
Original post by Alyssa134
Haha yes of course. You know what I meant :smile:

of course :wink:
Reply 67
Original post by Alyssa134
Thank you

He is wrong, ibraninovic posted the correct solution with his working here https://ibb.co/iAB0Ed. The answer was 22.5
Original post by cottonpickinnig
how many marks was question 6 for acceleration?

I am not sure. And as someone pointed out, it is of course 59 and not 60.
Original post by plklupu
Please add, discuss, explain and correct in the comments

1)a) v =12 ms^-1
b) a = 0.47 ms^-2

2)a) I =0.875 Ns (Magnitude of 0.3468i + 0.803j)
b) Angle = 66.6 deg

3)a) Show that CoM = (20a) / 3(8+pi)
b) Angle (DE->Vertical) = 59.1 = 59 deg to nearest deg

4) Show that mu = (cosxsinx) / (2 - (cosx)^2)

5)a)i) Show that Vb = 7u/5
a)ii) Va = 2u/5
b) y = (10/22)x = (5/11)x

6) a) magnitude(F) = 5√2 N (=7.07)
b) a = 26.1 ms^-2 (Magnitude of -26i + 2j)
c) AB = -i - (149/3)j

7)a) show that y = 2x - x^2((5g) / (2u^2))
b) u = 21 ms^-1
KEmin = 13.2 J
OB = 22.5m (some people are saying 18.9 but I disagree lmao)

My predictions:

https://gyazo.com/cd341b1b620707bdd08a470246078038

According to this I got 3b, 5b and the last part of 7 wrong. I got 86 degrees for 3b, y = 2x for 5b and 24 for last part of 7. Do you think I have a chance of getting a A still?
Original post by cottonpickinnig
anyone remember how many marks for question 6 acceleration

Reply 71
Original post by George Sexton
According to this I got 3b, 5b and the last part of 7 wrong. I got 86 degrees for 3b, y = 2x for 5b and 24 for last part of 7. Do you think I have a chance of getting a A still?

Definitely! You didn't mess up any questions that had follow through reliant on it, so you'll likely pick up plenty of method marks.
Original post by George Sexton

If we assume you got absolutely no marks for any of those parts, I wanna say that's 3 lost for 3b), 6 lost for 5b) and 5 lost for 7d). 75 - 14 = 61 marks, which was an A last year. I think worst case a very high B, but also your method marks might scooch you up.
Can someone please tell me the marks for each question?
Original post by MCArth
Definitely! You didn't mess up any questions that had follow through reliant on it, so you'll likely pick up plenty of method marks.

Original post by plklupu
If we assume you got absolutely no marks for any of those parts, I wanna say that's 3 lost for 3b), 6 lost for 5b) and 5 lost for 7d). 75 - 14 = 61 marks, which was an A last year. I think worst case a very high B, but also your method marks might scooch you up.

You guys have put my mind at rest a little, thank you for that, couldn’t remember how much those parts were so I was pretty scared my chances of an A were gone
****, there was a kinetic energy question???
Original post by webb-tom2
Only thing I didn't get was y=(5/11)x, I ended up with y=(6/11)x instead :/ Shouldn't be a major issue if that's wrong but still annoying

SAME!

how many marks do u think we will lose :frown:
Reply 77
[QUOTE="MCArth;78368598"]
Original post by Timf998

I don't know what you did, but I got x as -4.69 using dot product which I also got from using the triangle method, which follows through to a distance of 22.5. Don't worry about it though sounds like several people made the same mistake as you.

yeah found it when i did (21/sqrt5)^2 i got 441/25 lmao rest of my method was fine tho i reckon probs dropped me like 3 marks
Original post by Protostar
****, there was a kinetic energy question???

7c, find the minimum KE. Why, did you miss it?
Original post by Mystelle

no just the part 6(b) acceleration

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending