The Student Room Group

How to make a comeback in year 13

All my teachers are really doubting me and it's really annoying. Basically all my friends are turning on me and I feel really really angry. I am normally quite a happy person who always assumed the best of people. But the way people lie and cheat to raise their grades has made me honestly lose faith in people. In an exam people found the paper and cheated, everyone got away with it and me and another guy didn't know about the paper. It's hard seeing people get a free ticket to an A. In my year 12 mocks I got a C in biology, B in economics and B in Spanish. I want ideally an AAA prediction. Looking like I will get B/C in bio, A in econ and A in Spanish
I really want to make a comeback in my November mocks so I can score the highest I possibly can. Part of what makes me want to score is how my teachers and people around me out me down. Everything's a competition to them but I just want to focus on myself. Luckily not all my old friends are like this, some are still kind and stuff, but the majority have started to be rude. They won't be with me forever. It's hard because I used to love these people but they turn different when it's their grades at stake. Nothing's off limits.

Basically I want to start practicing now. Not gonna revise in holidays. Maybe an hour a week idk. I don't care how hard I have to work I just need to do this. To prove to myself that I am capable. What should I do now. My old biology notes are useless. I just want to start my work from fresh and progressively increase my workload so I don't burn out,
I'd suggest creating a big a$$ timetable over the summer, starting from day 1 right through to your mocks at least. Every week, or even every day you will put what topics you want to cover/what you want to achieve.

For example "Monday, summarise particle physics onto an A3 sheet poster, start studying topic x for economics and finish notes on topic y for biology". It will take a lot of time making the timetable (which is why i recommend doing bits over the summer) and it is bound to change a bit through the academic year. But it's super super helpful and something I wish I did. It really helps you give structure to your revision. (Use Excel to make a timetable).

Day one you probably don't even want to revise 1.5 hours a day, literally probably 30 minutes per subject a day to do some notes on the topic you're learning will be great. Recap, make notes, understand it and you'll be good for the first couple months or so.

About a 3/4 weeks before mocks, you'll want to bump your revision time up to about 45 minutes a day per subject? I think that's sufficient given that you would've been revising very consistently beforehand. I probably did 3 hours a day, so 60 minutes per subject 3 weeks before my mocks and got ABB but hadn't done much revision beforehand.

Don't wing your mocks because they're not GCSEs, especially with these new specs where you haven't got many resources. You want to be aiming to be getting at least 80-90% on each paper if you're aiming for A*/As because these new papers are much harder and you will lose a lot more marks than past papers because you're more likely to trip up and lose marks. Yes, grade boundaries will inflate according to the student cohort but you want to secure the best grades.

Easter-ish time is when the hard work/grind commends. The amount you put in is dependant on you. Some people will do 5-6 hours a day right till the end of June while others can get by with 2-3 hours per day. Choose/do what makes you feel confident in your ability to achieve and secure A*s.

Good luck :]
Same story with me, my teacher thinks I will end up failing my A Level, but what I did was to start revision early, and to keep revising every day to constantly have notes in my head fresh. I guess I’m not going to let a grade define who I am as a person, I mean this won’t matter in a 100 years time.

Good luck with whatever your planning on doing, take care.
Reply 3
Bump! Thanks for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest