The Student Room Group

Im really worried about my predicted grade

Im in year 12 and i just did my mocks. They didn't go well Im really nervous about receiving my predicted grade and that no universities would want me. I wanted to study radiography at university and i know majority of unis require BBB and im really scared if my teachers dont believe I'll get this. I have searched some unis around London such as London south bank university, City and st george which are ones where i wanna go. But what if my grades are really low.
Reply 1
Original post by kirtip1
Im in year 12 and i just did my mocks. They didn't go well Im really nervous about receiving my predicted grade and that no universities would want me. I wanted to study radiography at university and i know majority of unis require BBB and im really scared if my teachers dont believe I'll get this. I have searched some unis around London such as London south bank university, City and st george which are ones where i wanna go. But what if my grades are really low.

Hi please try not to worry . a lot of year 12 mocks are low. My eldest was getting a D in chemistry, and ended up with an A in the end. youngest was getting an E in psychology then shes now on target for an A and just done her alevels (she needs BBD to get to Reading). Its ok, the learning in alevels and the mock exam is different to gcse's and alevel exams are different style of questions, but you will get there im sure. Also you can have a word with your teachers on anything your not sure about or struggling with, because it shows you are willing and engaging enough to want to learn. Youngest did on research methods in psychology and it really helped.
Reply 2
You do not have to submit your UCAS application until the end of January 2024.

That gives you plenty of time to work your socks off to raise your grades. Go and see your subject teachers now, and ask for their help - what can you do over the summer that will help, how can you show them that you are determined to work harder/better to raise your grades etc, and if you do this, and show that you are working at a higher level, they may reconsider your predicted grades. Go and see them on Monday.
Reply 3
Thank you so much. If you dont mind was your eldest able to get into reading or any other university?

Original post by Ghostlady
Hi please try not to worry . a lot of year 12 mocks are low. My eldest was getting a D in chemistry, and ended up with an A in the end. youngest was getting an E in psychology then shes now on target for an A and just done her alevels (she needs BBD to get to Reading). Its ok, the learning in alevels and the mock exam is different to gcse's and alevel exams are different style of questions, but you will get there im sure. Also you can have a word with your teachers on anything your not sure about or struggling with, because it shows you are willing and engaging enough to want to learn. Youngest did on research methods in psychology and it really helped.
Reply 4
Thank you so much, that is so true. I will have a conversation with my teachers even though that does make me nervous. What if they don't think im capable or just don't like me to care about my grade?
In the meanwhile ill look at the date, I need to submit my UCAS application to each university.

Original post by McGinger
You do not have to submit your UCAS application until the end of January 2024.

That gives you plenty of time to work your socks off to raise your grades. Go and see your subject teachers now, and ask for their help - what can you do over the summer that will help, how can you show them that you are determined to work harder/better to raise your grades etc, and if you do this, and show that you are working at a higher level, they may reconsider your predicted grades. Go and see them on Monday.
Reply 5
Original post by kirtip1
Thank you so much. If you dont mind was your eldest able to get into reading or any other university?

Eldest studies physics and she got to interview stage at Oxford, she got an unconditional for two similar courses at Lancaster (which she chose 1), conditional offers from York and Leicester. She got centre assesed grades due to covid 2020, but she was on predicted A*AAA at the time of applying on UCAS in 2019, wheres year 12 chemistry was the D in her year 12. She very nearly dropped it for year 13, but glad she kept it.

Youngest (zoology/animal behaviour) her predicted winter 2022 in year 13 was ABC and she got BBD Reading (1st choice) BCC Chester (insurance), BBB Bangor, unconditional Lincoln, and ABB Lancaster. A psychology (was an E in year 12), B in biology (stayed B throughout) and C in Geography (was D in year 12). She does not know until August the 17th what she has got, so will know more on the day if shes got in.
Reply 6
That really is amazing say my congrats to them both. I wish I'm also able to change from getting Ds to As and A*s in year 13 are there any tips on how to stay focused, and motivated to revise? It's coming towards the end of year 12 and I wanna improve my grades so my teachers can put higher grades for my predicted. But I'm so lazy and I get influenced by peers thus end up not revising for upcoming tests.

Original post by Ghostlady
Eldest studies physics and she got to interview stage at Oxford, she got an unconditional for two similar courses at Lancaster (which she chose 1), conditional offers from York and Leicester. She got centre assesed grades due to covid 2020, but she was on predicted A*AAA at the time of applying on UCAS in 2019, wheres year 12 chemistry was the D in her year 12. She very nearly dropped it for year 13, but glad she kept it.

Youngest (zoology/animal behaviour) her predicted winter 2022 in year 13 was ABC and she got BBD Reading (1st choice) BCC Chester (insurance), BBB Bangor, unconditional Lincoln, and ABB Lancaster. A psychology (was an E in year 12), B in biology (stayed B throughout) and C in Geography (was D in year 12). She does not know until August the 17th what she has got, so will know more on the day if shes got in.
Reply 7
Original post by kirtip1
That really is amazing say my congrats to them both. I wish I'm also able to change from getting Ds to As and A*s in year 13 are there any tips on how to stay focused, and motivated to revise? It's coming towards the end of year 12 and I wanna improve my grades so my teachers can put higher grades for my predicted. But I'm so lazy and I get influenced by peers thus end up not revising for upcoming tests.

Thats a good question. Well with the biology I helped the youngest by doing acronyms, and watching you tube videos to make it less boring. She had A3 plain white card from wilkos where she would condense one topic onto one page. The eldest was more self motivated and did things like postit notes and revision cards as well. There was a portal she used where she could put in the information and it threw out questions to help revise. I cant remember the name of it now. She also had one of those apps which grew a tree whilst she studied so she did not go on her phone.
I would say to change it up a bit, dont always have one way of revision as it can be a bit monotone and boring.
Honestly, it's silly to worry about predicted grades. I've heard of people picking themselves up from triple Cs up to multiple As/A*s. Worst case scenario, you have to take a gap year. And that's not even bad; I'm pretty sure the statistic of gap year takers for uni sits around 1/6 or 1/7 of the people who get in.

If your predicted grades are good enough to immediately apply to university? Awesome. If not? Oh well, apply after your gap year.

But as everyone else said in this thread, obviously get assistance from your teachers, find better ways to revise, spend more time revising, etc., because you'll really need to be diligent with your work to be one of those people who has that academic comeback.

Quick Reply

Latest