The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Racial segregation

Even though everyone at uni says that people are usually friendly and open minded, you can still tell that people of the same nationalities stick together. I dont know about the other universities, but I think all the UOL colleges tend to be like this. I know it also depends on the individual, but on the whole, there tends to be a whole lot of racial segregation. I've only been in KCL for a week, and you can see this happening so clearly! It applies especially to Asians though....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
agreed, its all very well meeting ppl from similar backgrounds but come on they dont how to stick together in groups like glue...
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
I heard about that :frown: It sucks because I'm Asian, but don't get along very well with other Asians?
Might be a bit of a prob if I'm forced to stick to my racial group at uni.
Reply 3
i have that problem too.they seem to be proud of the fact that they are in groups.its much better to make friends with a wide variety of ppl
not just those from ur race.
Perhaps in the large part - but perhaps that's because they want to hang out with fellow Muslims or whatever. I wouldn't criticise somebody for hanging out with fellow Christians...

I suppose it would almost be comparable to going on an exchange trip to somewhere like America, and sticking in the large part to other people from the UK on exchange too. Just like the US exchange students do here. :smile:

I have made loads friends over the year, of all races, and from all countries. :smile:
In my college there seems to be smaller racial seggregation, but with black people.
Reply 6
It's a fact of life. You'll see that almost anywhere, I'd say. I even think of it as normal - stop with the mantras that "we should all mix together and have fun" - most people from the same race face the same problems, share the same beliefs and lead almost the same sort of life. I don't think anyone would change that, and I don't think anyone should. I'm no racist, don't take it that way. Furthermore, I think segregation is a bit of a strong word for the case. If segregation was really there, these groups of same-sort-of-people would be hostile between each other and most of all - one of the groups would be disadvantaged in some way by higher instances, say for example if teachers preferred to communicate more with white folks rather than the rest, which would make asian and black people dislike whites. That's what I understand by segregation.
Kiril
It's a fact of life. You'll see that almost anywhere, I'd say. I even think of it as normal ...

i must say that i agree with Kiril. you should think of these things differently.
don't let people make you feel excluded or dont' dislike the segragation. we all are from differen't backgrounds so you shouldnt' feel so suprised!

just don't stereotype too soon though, because that would make you decisively racsis. just be open minded :smile:
Reply 8
gangrene
Even though everyone at uni says that people are usually friendly and open minded, you can still tell that people of the same nationalities stick together. I dont know about the other universities, but I think all the UOL colleges tend to be like this.

Surprisingly i haven’t found this to be the case at UCL.
Dajo123
Surprisingly i haven’t found this to be the case at UCL.

I have.
Reply 10
NDGAARONDI
I have.

Really??? I noticed a definite racial segregation at college but I have not noticed this whilst walking around the different UCL buildings during my first week. The majority of people seem to hang around in mixed groups, however, i have noticed international students tend to hang around together irrespective of race.
Reply 11
Segregation is a strong word. Your implying people are being kept apart based on their race, whereas it's just personal preference.

I'd agree with you that alot of asians do tend to stick together. They just find it easier to connect with people from the same background. I doubt they have any hostility or uneasiness towards others.

I'd also agree with Kiril, he's hit the nail on the head, it happens absolutely everywhere. But there are asians (me! :biggrin:) that mix with everyone all the same.

It all comes down to the individual. I suppose not everyone can find common ground with people from a different cultural background. I wouldn't hang around with people solely because they are of the same race. I'd rather have something a little more substantial in common with my friends. :cool:

I really do hope this hasn't led you to false preconception of asians.
Reply 12
erm.....i'm Asian too.....

Anyway, yeah, I find that international students hang around together irrespective of race and brits are just one group. this is of course, just a generalization.....

anyway, i know this is not the case for everyone, but how come all people (generalization again, but mostly brits) seem to want to do in london is go pubbing, clubbing, drink their ass off, and come back next morning to class bragging about how they got wasted or stoned....
gangrene
anyway, i know this is not the case for everyone, but how come all people (generalization again, but mostly brits) seem to want to do in london is go pubbing, clubbing, drink their ass off, and come back next morning to class bragging about how they got wasted or stoned....

Aah, Britain. Nearly the only place in the world where it isn't socially viewed as shameful to be pissed out of brains, half-naked in the streets.
Dajo123
i have noticed international students tend to hang around together irrespective of race.

You see, I told you :tongue:
Reply 15
gangrene
erm.....i'm Asian too.....

I'm struggling to see the point of this thread now :confused:

I thought I was trying to explain to a non-asian why some asians are the way they are.

Anyways, what sub you doing?
Reply 16
I'm a british indian and i'd say i have a fairly mixed group of friends - a jewish south african, a asian kenyan, a scottish-born muslim, two british asians, an indian, a chinese christian, and a brazilian friend....just noticed - although i know some white british people on my course i dont seem to have any in my close circle of friends...

Though about five of them could be said to be of some asian origin... but then saying that you assume all asians are the same - not true - especially since 'asian' is used to describe people from many countries in the asian sub-continent.

Hmm - weird how this term does not apply to those from far-east - they do live in Asia - I had to explain to some chinese foriegn students that the term asian in the UK doesnt really apply to them...

..um think i've gone off the point now...........
Reply 17
mm... there is racial segregation, but it can be avoided. My group of friends is completely mixed... we have japanese people, chinese people... a sri lankan, a few Indians... british :rolleyes:
I think that may be quite an isolated case, but then again I'm not at Uni in London.

-Becs
Reply 19
well I contacted the Scotland Yard and they said i was absolutely true . British Asians ( many of them ) try to hang out in groups of their own skin colour just to show off how " Asian " and kewl they are . In fact , these are the people that
have little sense of patriotism and individual identity . I have seen Muslim Asian girls showing off how Muslim they are by saying that they will wear scarfs after marrige - such type of religiousness is better not to have at all than to show off .

Latest