The Student Room Group

Psychology a level in one year - is it possible?

At the moment, I have just finished my first year of college, doing AS Biology and BTEC Science. After thinking for a while, I thought adding another A level, Psychology, will broaden my options for university and ultimately the future. As I am not prepared for another 2 years of college, I would plan to take the entire A level Psychology course over 1 year through distance learning. However, before I even think of doing so, I wanted to know if any of you, preferably psychology students who have taken the A level, think that completing AS & A2 Content over 1 year is possible or unrealistic. Bare in mind, with my current subjects (One A level and BTEC L3) the workload during exam season was low, even compared to GCSE!

Also, if you have any experience, please suggest an exam board or any distance learning services!!
Unfortunately I don't have previous experience etc. with this issue, but all I could say is talk to your College and see if you could enter as a private candidate? I have some general advice below too:

You've said that the workload for you during your exams this year was not too heavy, and therefore you could technically do it. It's worth remembering, though, that it will require a lot of independent and self-motivated work from you to achieve, but it is more than possible to do so. Obviously, you will find that you will have less time for recreational activities/studying for other subjects etc, but there's no reason why you cant. Most universities will ask for 3 A Levels (or equivalent - meaning your BTEC L3 will be accepted by most universities for most courses), so this will open more doors for you. Even if you decide you don't want to go to university, it will help you still.

Spoiler

What are you interested in studying at university / doing as a job in the future?

Quick Reply

Latest