The Student Room Group

A-level choices for Medicine

Hey everyone, I was hoping to get some advice on my a-level choices.

Initially, I wanted to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. However, now I was considering switching Psychology for Physics as I enjoy it more and was told that it can help with some medicine admission exams.

I am concerned though that this might not be the best choice as Physics is a hard A level and lots of people recommend Psychology for applying to medicine.

Thoughts?
Reply 1
Original post by what0is0this0

Initially, I wanted to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. However, now I was considering switching Psychology for Physics as I enjoy it more and was told that it can help with some medicine admission exams.

I am concerned though that this might not be the best choice as Physics is a hard A level and lots of people recommend Psychology for applying to medicine.
Thoughts?

if you’re set on doing 4 a levels then you’d have to decide which is best for you. Both physics and psychology are difficult for different reasons, if you find it difficult to memorise long theories and many researchers names then definitely don’t do psychology, it’s a lot of writing and you’ll have to put a lot of effort in and obviously physics is very academic and you have to have a good understanding, though seeing as you enjoy it it may be a better option for you as it’ll interest you more to do well. however physics is not a requirement for any uk med school as if it says another science usually that includes psych.
However you do not need to do 4 a levels and doing bio chem and maths will fulfil requirements everywhere I’m pretty sure unless your college offers maths in one year and so you’ll only have to take 3 out of 4 a levels in year 13. Possibly consider doing an EPQ instead? You can do it on something medical related and it is more like university standard research and work and so many unis regard it very highly.
Not a med applicant but a physio applicant so I understand how challenging medical professional applications can be, work towards getting good predicted grades and revise for the ucat throughout the summer of year 12 but don’t over do it, I did a bit too much revision for my ucat at the end of the summer and became burnt out then didn’t even apply for med anyway 😂
Reply 2
Original post by what0is0this0

Thoughts?

Physics will be more helpful when taking the BMAT though most likely. I didn’t take the bmat and no one I know that took it did physics so it may not apply that much but it may just help with understanding

Quick Reply

Latest