The Student Room Group

Can someone give me an insight in to A-level physics?

What are the exams like because i love the suject but i don't like 'wordy' type questions in the exams. I enjoy and am good at the maths type questions but just wondered if 6+ mark questions were frequent in A-level?

I think the exam board I would be studying is WJEC? Tbf i've never heard of it so don't know if its any good or not
Reply 1
If you don't like the wordy questions, whatever you do DON'T do OCR Physics B. I've just finished it and it's very explaination based, really very little testing of maths at all. I've heard other exam boards are similar.
Original post by Tom19800
If you don't like the wordy questions, whatever you do DON'T do OCR Physics B. I've just finished it and it's very explaination based, really very little testing of maths at all. I've heard other exam boards are similar.

Oh :/ maybe not the best choice for me then lol, are the marks schemes pathetically pedantic?
Reply 3
Mostly maths type questions but there is usually 1 QER 6 mark question in every paper.
Also there is a comprehension question in one of the units which can be difficult.
For WJEC

Should be easy to get an A if you put the work in. Around 60% for an A sometimes
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 13dsaivaines
Oh :/ maybe not the best choice for me then lol, are the marks schemes pathetically pedantic?

Well, some aren't too bad, but I have to admit I kinda got the feeling it was a test of remembering definitions. I love the mathematics side of Physics, and I really enjoyed the course, so don't let that put you off!
Seriously though, if you put the effort in you'll be fine.
What are the exams like because i love the suject but i don't like 'wordy' type questions in the exams. I enjoy and am good at the maths type questions but just wondered if 6+ mark questions were frequent in A-level?

I think the exam board I would be studying is WJEC? Tbf i've never heard of it so don't know if its any good or not

Aqa or edexcel best for maths-based.

Everything they teach in gcse is a lie in anyway yay physics exam tomorrow time to right down more bs
Original post by Svesh
Mostly maths type questions but there is usually 1 QER 6 mark question in every paper.
Also there is a comprehension question in one of the units which can be difficult.
For WJEC

Should be easy to get an A if you put the work in. Around 60% for an A sometimes

Oh ok wow the grade boundaries seem fairly low then. Do you do WJEC?
Original post by kunoichinin
Aqa or edexcel best for maths-based.

Everything they teach in gcse is a lie in anyway yay physics exam tomorrow time to right down more bs

Ah, shame im not doing them then lol

good luck for your physics exam tomorrow is it A-level of GCSE?
Ah, shame im not doing them then lol

good luck for your physics exam tomorrow is it A-level of GCSE?

Gcse
Original post by Tom19800
Well, some aren't too bad, but I have to admit I kinda got the feeling it was a test of remembering definitions. I love the mathematics side of Physics, and I really enjoyed the course, so don't let that put you off!
Seriously though, if you put the effort in you'll be fine.

good to hear hopefully, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest