The Student Room Group

DNA polymerase

I understand that DNA polymerase is need to join the adjacent nucleotides together and to form phosphidester bonds between them, but would it be incorrect If I said that it CATALYSES the reaction instead, since it is an enzyme and is only increases the rate of a reaction...
Reply 1
wouldn’t be theoretically incorrect you’re spot on with the definition of an enzyme, but I wouldn’t think you would gain anything from stating that. Just understand that its essential in normal physiology to form the phosphodiesters
Original post by Ray.
I understand that DNA polymerase is need to join the adjacent nucleotides together and to form phosphidester bonds between them, but would it be incorrect If I said that it CATALYSES the reaction instead, since it is an enzyme and is only increases the rate of a reaction...

Original post by SteveForfar
wouldn’t be theoretically incorrect you’re spot on with the definition of an enzyme, but I wouldn’t think you would gain anything from stating that. Just understand that its essential in normal physiology to form the phosphodiesters

Yeah it does catalyse the reaction but as the other poster said this is generic since every enzyme and catalyst does this.It does not actually the examiner what DNA polymerase does.Just say it helps forms the phosphodiester bond like the other OP does.
Basically DNA polymerase catalyses the reaction through its metal ions in the active site which aids the phosphodiester bond formation (its basically a nucleophiliac attack ) ,stabilising the transition state and one of the products,which are very negative and the reaction would be unfavourable otherwise.
Reply 3
Original post by Ray.

I don't see anything wrong with what you have said. I'd say that DNA polymerase catalyses the formation of phosphodiester bonds between adjacent nucleotides in the 5' to 3' direction. You could also mention that its a condensation polymerisation reaction, and that a molecule of water is produced.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending