The Student Room Group

(St Andrews Msc Finance) vs (Edinburgh Msc Finance) vs (Glasgow MSc Finance and Mgt)

Hi everyone,

Please don´t consider the fact that I am deciding among these three unis. Because of a few variables, it is just much cheaper and easier for me to move from south america to one of those cities.

Please note that while the Msc Finance at SAndrews is at their Econ and FInance department, the ones at Edinburgh and Glasgow are at their business departments.

1) What do you think? What are the most solid programmes?

2) How would you rate them according to:
a) Academic reputation (as in pursuing a PhD later on)
b) Employability
c) Academic quality
Original post by costal
Hi everyone,

Please don´t consider the fact that I am deciding among these three unis. Because of a few variables, it is just much cheaper and easier for me to move from south america to one of those cities.

Please note that while the Msc Finance at SAndrews is at their Econ and FInance department, the ones at Edinburgh and Glasgow are at their business departments.

1) What do you think? What are the most solid programmes?

2) How would you rate them according to:
a) Academic reputation (as in pursuing a PhD later on)
b) Employability
c) Academic quality

I can tell you that St Andrews would win at 1 and 2, but unsure about three as idk what you mean by academic quality. If you mean rigour, there won't be too much difference between them - the knowledge obtained will probably be comparable as well
Reply 2
Original post by Kyber Ninja
I can tell you that St Andrews would win at 1 and 2, but unsure about three as idk what you mean by academic quality. If you mean rigour, there won't be too much difference between them - the knowledge obtained will probably be comparable as well

Thanks a lot! Very helpful. I am indeed leaning towards St Andrews, although I would feel very comfortable going to any of the other ones. By academic quality I meant exactly what you understood haha.
Reply 3
All 3 are top universities in Scotland so congratulations on your offers.

St. Andrews is probably the most prestigious in domestic ranking while Edinburgh has always been ranked top 20-50 in world rankings.

Also I think the business school at Edinburgh is very well respected both in the UK and globally while St.Andrews tends to be more reputable in Polictics & Humanities subjects ^_^
Reply 4
Original post by Nathan9087
All 3 are top universities in Scotland so congratulations on your offers.

St. Andrews is probably the most prestigious in domestic ranking while Edinburgh has always been ranked top 20-50 in world rankings.

Also I think the business school at Edinburgh is very well respected both in the UK and globally while St.Andrews tends to be more reputable in Polictics & Humanities subjects ^_^

Thanks Nathan! Again, very helpful!

So, as I said, St Andrews' Msc Finance is at their achool of Economics and Finance, while Edinburgh's is at their business school. So would you say that St Andrews' Econ department is fairly good? I do not mean to break in IB,

Thanks!!
Reply 5
Original post by costal
Thanks Nathan! Again, very helpful!

So, as I said, St Andrews' Msc Finance is at their achool of Economics and Finance, while Edinburgh's is at their business school. So would you say that St Andrews' Econ department is fairly good? I do not mean to break in IB,

Thanks!!

Hello

Well I think that shouldn’t be a concern as the subjects are quite similar in nature.

Maybe you can choose by the location you prefer to be for the next academic year. As I have heard St.Andrews is relatively quiet and peaceful while Edinburgh is very hectic and there maybe lots of things that you can do while studying to enhance your learning experiences ^_^
Reply 6
Hello

Well I think that shouldn’t be a concern as the subjects are quite similar in nature.

Maybe you can choose by the location you prefer to be for the next academic year. As I have heard St.Andrews is relatively quiet and peaceful while Edinburgh is very hectic and there maybe lots of things that you can do while studying to enhance your learning experiences ^_^

awesome! I'll start that research right away. so reputation/quality wise, not a big difference you'd say?
Reply 7
Original post by costal
awesome! I'll start that research right away. so reputation/quality wise, not a big difference you'd say?

Yeah they are both top universities in Scotland so you will definitely having great career prospects from both.

Best of luck with your decision my friend ^_^
Reply 8
Yeah they are both top universities in Scotland so you will definitely having great career prospects from both.

Best of luck with your decision my friend ^_^

Thanks a lot. Best luck with your studies and career as well, brother. Hope to get in touch in the future. All best!
Reply 9
Original post by costal
Thanks a lot. Best luck with your studies and career as well, brother. Hope to get in touch in the future. All best!

Yeah please keep in touch for any updates. You can drop me a message at your convenience ^_^
Reply 10
Yeah please keep in touch for any updates. You can drop me a message at your convenience ^_^

Absolutely! Are you British?
Original post by costal
Absolutely! Are you British?

No I’m an international student ^_^
Reply 12
No I’m an international student ^_^

We are both haha ! Where do you study?
Original post by costal
We are both haha ! Where do you study?

Oh what a great coincidence haha.

I will be studying at LSE for Management ^_^