Course:
A level subjects:
A level predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extracurriculars:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey people, I will be entering Imperial College London in 2018 intake. (98% sure) The reason I posting is so I maybe can provide information that might be useful for you guys using the starting post.

First of all, you guys should read FAQs at TSR for the UCAS application process, Imperial College Londons and etc. Definitely helps.

For everyone that applied for Imperial recently, need your help.
I think I want some information regarding admission test since I only applied for Maths and have to do MAT. I did not do other admission tests so your help would be appreciated. I will add your points to this post straight. Thanks in advance.

Grades
Try to get grades higher than the minimum grade requirements. Unconditional offers can be very different for individuals so it is wise to not to literally plan to just get the minimum grades. For example, I received a conditional offer which requires 3A* for A-level and someone received a conditional offer which requires 4A* for A-level even though the minimum grade requirements is A*A*A.

These are the minimum grade requirements I seen when I go through all the department from easiest to hardest to achieve.
1. AAA
2. A*AA
3. A*A*A or A*AAA
4. A*A*A

Well, basically all of them is at least 3As. Up your game, boys and girls. However, I initially not really want to say this but getting 3/4/5 A*s results/prediction or way above your minimum grade requirements is only the pre-requisite to think about entering Imperial like @Rohan77642 said because Imperial is a very competitive university to enter. Plan things out so you do well in your interviews and admission test, and have a good PS and decent reference send in by starting early(at least not "empty", you do not want your PS and reference to be the deciding factor when you are doing well for interviews and assessment test because your year is very competitive).

Applications to admissions ratio
I have seen ratios that are 3:1, 14:1 and in-between them. Don't take these number seriously unless you know the context and why the ratio is like that. Basically, don't get too confident because you are applying for a course with 3:1 or get too discouraged because you are applying for a course with 10:1 or smth like that.

The offers actually come during a specific time for 2018 ICL applicants?
I did not read all 3000 posts for 2018 ICL applicants thread, but the offers that come around February and March show an interesting trend. Most people in the thread say that their offers are received at 10:00 PM - 10:10 PM UK time from UCAS Track. Maybe your year have something like that as well?

Although final decision for undergraduate courses will be communicated to all applicants via UCAS Track by 31st March at the latest for my year (2018), I managed to find out that Maths department will give out results to everyone by 25th March by accident when I am looking at the official website. So, if you guys find out something, definitely can share it.

The deadly wait for an offer until March
If you guys went to the previous ICL applicants thread, you might know this already. The threads are filled with zombies that are moaning and waiting for their unconditional offers during the Winter months and March because zombies rot slower during Winter. (The reason I join TSR is actually to join the "moan" :colone:)

You guys definitely need to know if your offer might require STEP... they actually give STEP offers at March. (unconditional offers that ask you to take STEP) I seen they ask for grade 2 for STEP II and grade 2 for STEP III, even grade 1 for STEP II. I think most of you guys will have finals during April/May but I will still advise you to at least skim-through some STEP support website even if your offer is not coming in early.

I am not working or taking any exam since last December. Because of that, the wait is particularly bad for me because I have nothing to do. So, do have plans to keep yourself occupied if you might be in the same situation.

Much more stuff to come
I wish I am not killing everyone here with my English. I will try to update this post with information if nothing bad happens to me.

My "Stats"
For those that actually interested. Just remember that having identical results does not guarantee the same unconditional offers. I have firmed Imperial and since I fulfilled the unconditional offer, I am most likely going to Imperial this year.

Applied: Pure Mathematics (G125)
Status: Fulfilled the Unconditional Offer (A* for Maths, FM and Physics)

CIE A Levels (Prediction I received):
Chemistry A* (A)
Further Mathematics A* (A*)
Mathematics A* (A*)
Physics A* (A*)

MAT 2017: 70/100. Is a score between Oxford short-listed applicants (73) and successful applicants (68) maybe that is why I received a late March offer.

My other UCAS choice:
Cambridge, Mathematics G100 (Rejected without interview)
Manchester, Mathematics G100 (Declined after firming Imperial, offer AAA)
Warwick, Mathematics G103 (Insurance choice, offer A*A* in two maths, A* third subject or AA third and fourth subject or grade 2 in any STEP paper)
No 5th choice
(edited 5 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Just going to give this a bump :ninja:
Hello guys,

Reserving this space for when I get my predictions and solidify my choices ( I think that's something people do). I'm thinking of applying to imperial but I'm not yet sure of what I want to do. Its between Computing, Maths or both (ie the JMC course). I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics & Computer Science. (Aiming to get at least A*A* prediction in both the maths but we'll see.:s-smilie:) Honestly the idea of STEP scares the crap out of me. It honestly seems like the sort of thing designed for math-gods.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ThatNerd
Hello guys,

Reserving this space for when I get my predictions and solidify my choices ( I think that's something people do). I'm thinking of applying to imperial but I'm not yet sure of what I want to do. Its between Computing, Maths or both (ie the JMC course). I'm currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics & Computer Science. (Aiming to get at least A*A* prediction in both the maths but we'll see.:s-smilie:) Honestly the idea of STEP scares the crap out of me. It honestly seems like the sort of thing designed for math-gods.

If you want to apply for maths the advice would be to work really hard on the MAT. If you can nail the MAT and get A*A* in maths/FM it is extremely unlikely for you to get rejected. Like I am not even joking, nail the MAT and you are in. On the contrary if you mess up the MAT very unlikely you will get an offer. I cannot stress how important the MAT is. Your predictions do not mean ****, if you dont get a good MAT score (above 60). My MAT score is 55 and I had IB predictions of 44/45 and still didnt get an offer. And the fact that they dont do interviews makes them puts even more emphasis on MAT for maths applicants.

If you want to do Compsci then biggest advice would be to start serious STEP preparation in the summer. Look at the STEP prep thread and attempt some questions you find interesting, but dont think that you will start once you get the offer.

Either way, MAT or STEP, maths or compsci, start preparing in the summer. Predictions of A*A* is like a pre - requisite. If you dont have them then they will very highly likely reject you but even if you achieve them they dont mean anything because nearly all applicants apply with A*A* in maths and FM predicted for Bsc Maths/Compsci courses.

Lastly, I am not trying to scare you or discourage you from applying. I am just trying to tell you the truth like @_JB_ in his post. The imperial website will often mention that the MAT is not the only thing they take into consideration, and you will hear people telling you to stay positive because of your awesome predicted grades. But in reality, you are competing with the best in the world. So you have to be very good at maths to make into maths/compsci at imperial. A*A* in maths and FM predictedis not proof that you are the best.
Original post by Rohan77642
If you want to apply for maths the advice would be to work really hard on the MAT. If you can nail the MAT and get A*A* in maths/FM it is extremely unlikely for you to get rejected. Like I am not even joking, nail the MAT and you are in. On the contrary if you mess up the MAT very unlikely you will get an offer. I cannot stress how important the MAT is. Your predictions do not mean ****, if you dont get a good MAT score (above 60). My MAT score is 55 and I had IB predictions of 44/45 and still didnt get an offer. And the fact that they dont do interviews makes them puts even more emphasis on MAT for maths applicants.

If you want to do Compsci then biggest advice would be to start serious STEP preparation in the summer. Look at the STEP prep thread and attempt some questions you find interesting, but dont think that you will start once you get the offer.

Either way, MAT or STEP, maths or compsci, start preparing in the summer. Predictions of A*A* is like a pre - requisite. If you dont have them then they will very highly likely reject you but even if you achieve them they dont mean anything because nearly all applicants apply with A*A* in maths and FM predicted for Bsc Maths/Compsci courses.

Lastly, I am not trying to scare you or discourage you from applying. I am just trying to tell you the truth like @_JB_ in his post. The imperial website will often mention that the MAT is not the only thing they take into consideration, and you will hear people telling you to stay positive because of your awesome predicted grades. But in reality, you are competing with the best in the world. So you have to be very good at maths to make into maths/compsci at imperial. A*A* in maths and FM predictedis not proof that you are the best.

Thanks :smile:. Yeah seems like solid advice :smile: . I'm going to start preparing in the summer. I suppose that also means I need to decide what course I want to do in the summer as well. Ehhh I always thought I'd apply for Compsci when I got to applying to uni but now I'm leaning towards maths.

I'm guessing you applied or maths having done the MAT? What do you suggest the best preparation to be? Just banging out all the past papers? I've heard the MAT to be one of those tests that are crazy hard no matter how much work and preparation you do!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ThatNerd
Thanks :smile:. Yeah seems like solid advice :smile: . I'm going to start preparing in the summer. I suppose that also means I need to decide what course I want to do in the summer as well. Ehhh I always thought I'd apply for Compsci when I got to applying to uni but now I'm leaning towards maths.

I'm guessing you applied or maths having done the MAT? What do you suggest the best preparation to be? Just banging out all the past papers? I've heard the MAT to be one of those tests that are hard to prepare for no matter how much work you do!

I think past papers are a good starting point, but the test is always different each year. One of the mistakes I did was that I thought that if I went through all the available past papers then I will be good, cause in A levels or IB they often seem to ask questions that require the same technique and approach. So I thought that if I can master all the techniques then I would be good, but the 2017 paper was very different to previous years and well I messed up.

So other than timing and making yourself familiar with the test past papers dont really help that much. I think since you have so much time before the MAT, I would suggest really try and engage with challenging mathematical problems from different sources like UKMT, BMO, STEP etc.
The more you solve such problems the more you increase you apptitude which is what the MAT tests.

Also would suggest you to practice how to make arguments in mathematics. This is again something you get better at the more the number of challenging problems you solve. For example, something I came across a lot in the past papers were questions based on being able to make parity arguments. Now for someone who has never seen these type of questions or has never heard of parity arguments it is very hard to know how to approach these problems. But if you are aware of these arguments then you can easily solve the question.

Another example is modular mathematics. This again something that you are not expected to learn but if you just look at the 2017 paper Q5, then it seems confusing. But if you are aware of modular mathematics then the questions is very easy.

What I notice is that the MAT really tests how good of a mathematical thinker you are. If you are genuinely very interested in mathematics and have read extensively around mathematics then the test will be something you can do without any preparation. But if you prepare every day for one month extensively on MAT past papers then you can get a above average grade but it most likely wont be good enough for the likes of oxford or imperial.

So advice would be to really just attempt mathematical problems, riddles, logic questions, spatial reasoning questions, general reasoning questions from various sources. Then one - two months before the exam do the past papers and make sure you are good with timings.

Best of luck! I might be doing the MAT again this year haha
Reply 7

Another example is modular mathematics. This again something that you are not expected to learn but if you just look at the 2017 paper Q5, then it seems confusing. But if you are aware of modular mathematics then the questions is very easy.

Usually, it is called modular arithmetics. Yup that question is very easy with that. But I mess up my quadratic equations though for that question even though I know modular arithmetics. Small part but it hurts.

This is my advice for taking MAT or admission test.
- Be really careful doing the day of admission test itself. Because I am very stupid, on that day, I walked to nearby 7-11 to buy a drink on a rainy day. I slipped accidentally and fell down. It was really painful and I can feel the impact even on my spine. That pain really screws me a bit later, that is the only explanation I have for screwing up a quadratic equation. I believe most of you are competent enough not to do that mistake, but I really want to be sure NO ONE will do this, I really gave myself unnecessary disadvantages for doing that.

- Like Rohan said, especially if you start early. Focus more on your amplitude/affinity for Mathematics rather than doing MAT past year again and again. I actually knew about MAT very late so I only focus on past years and doing a worksheet my lecturer provided. But my past experience by exploring Maths deeply and randomly helps me a lot. I did not do other papers, I asked myself/lecturer a lot of questions and I have a lot of initiative to learn stuff that is not in the syllabus that will be helpful in near future. (Things like modular arithmetics, basic proofing concept)

-Know your weakness and improve it. For example, questions that require lengthy word explanation is still my worst enemy. Because of my bad habit of thinking too much especially if I don't know how simple/complex my explanation should be. What I do is I always write down the most simple way that I will explain it first.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by _JB_
Hey people, I will be entering Imperial College London in 2018 intake. (98% sure) The reason I posting is so I maybe can provide information that might be useful for you guys using the starting post.

First of all, you guys should read FAQs at TSR for the UCAS application process, Imperial College Londons and etc. Definitely helps.

For everyone that applied for Imperial recently, need your help.
I think I want some information regarding admission test since I only applied for Maths and have to do MAT. I did not do other admission tests so your help would be appreciated. I will add your points to this post straight. Thanks in advance.

Grades
Try to get grades higher than the minimum grade requirements. Unconditional offers can be very different for individuals so it is wise to not to literally plan to just get the minimum grades. For example, I received a conditional offer which requires 3A* for A-level and someone received a conditional offer which requires 4A* for A-level even though the minimum grade requirements is A*A*A.

These are the minimum grade requirements I seen when I go through all the department from easiest to hardest to achieve.
1. AAA
2. A*AA
3. A*A*A or A*AAA
4. A*A*A

Well, basically all of them is at least 3As. Up your game, boys and girls. However, I initially not really want to say this but getting 3/4/5 A*s results/prediction or way above your minimum grade requirements is only the pre-requisite to think about entering Imperial like @Rohan77642 said because Imperial is a very competitive university to enter. Plan things out so you do well in your interviews and admission test, and have a good PS and decent reference send in by starting early(at least not "empty", you do not want your PS and reference to be the deciding factor when you are doing well for interviews and assessment test because your year is very competitive).

Applications to admissions ratio
I have seen ratios that are 3:1, 14:1 and in-between them. Don't take these number seriously unless you know the context and why the ratio is like that. Basically, don't get too confident because you are applying for a course with 3:1 or get too discouraged because you are applying for a course with 10:1 or smth like that.

The offers actually come during a specific time for 2018 ICL applicants?
I did not read all 3000 posts for 2018 ICL applicants thread, but the offers that come around February and March show an interesting trend. Most people in the thread say that their offers are received at 10:00 PM - 10:10 PM UK time from UCAS Track. Maybe your year have something like that as well?

Although final decision for undergraduate courses will be communicated to all applicants via UCAS Track by 31st March at the latest for my year (2018), I managed to find out that Maths department will give out results to everyone by 25th March by accident when I am looking at the official website. So, if you guys find out something, definitely can share it.

The deadly wait for an offer until March
If you guys went to the previous ICL applicants thread, you might know this already. The threads are filled with zombies that are moaning and waiting for their unconditional offers during the Winter months and March because zombies rot slower during Winter. (The reason I join TSR is actually to join the "moan" :colone:)

You guys definitely need to know if your offer might require STEP... they actually give STEP offers at March. (unconditional offers that ask you to take STEP) I seen they ask for grade 2 for STEP II and grade 2 for STEP III, even grade 1 for STEP II. I think most of you guys will have finals during April/May but I will still advise you to at least skim-through some STEP support website even if your offer is not coming in early.

I am not working or taking any exam since last December. Because of that, the wait is particularly bad for me because I have nothing to do. So, do have plans to keep yourself occupied if you might be in the same situation.

Much more stuff to come
I wish I am not killing everyone here with my English. I will try to update this post with information if nothing bad happens to me.

My "Stats"
For those that actually interested. Just remember that having identical results does not guarantee the same unconditional offers. I have firmed Imperial and since I fulfilled the unconditional offer, I am most likely going to Imperial this year.

Applied: Pure Mathematics (G125)
Status: Fulfilled the Unconditional Offer (A* for Maths, FM and Physics)

CIE A Levels (Prediction I received):
Chemistry A* (A)
Further Mathematics A* (A*)
Mathematics A* (A*)
Physics A* (A*)

MAT 2017: 70/100. Is a score between Oxford short-listed applicants (73) and successful applicants (68) maybe that is why I received a late March offer.

My other UCAS choice:
Cambridge, Mathematics G100 (Rejected without interview)
Manchester, Mathematics G100 (Declined after firming Imperial, offer AAA)
Warwick, Mathematics G103 (Insurance choice, offer A*A* in two maths, A* third subject or AA third and fourth subject or grade 2 in any STEP paper)
No 5th choice

Any reason behind why you got rejected without interview by Cambridge? (I hope you don't mind :smile:).
Original post by Chrisabraham
Thinking the exact same thing...

How on earth would he know that?

What's exactly the problem with all these 'How did you get in?' questions. Absolutely no one knows what the admissions officers were thinking so can't give a concrete answer. Any admit's best bet is as good as yours. You can only assume that they chose you for your grades and motivations (90%), with the remaining ~10% being chosen for either being wickedly smart, or having achieved outstanding amounts in their chosen field - statistical outliers.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi everyone, if you are applying to Imperial, post below! :awesome:

Course:
A level subjects:
A level predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extracurriculars:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by esrever
Any reason behind why you got rejected without interview by Cambridge? (I hope you don't mind :smile:).

Original post by Chrisabraham
Thinking the exact same thing...

Like bant_bus said, I actually don't really know. Probably because my UPM lower even though I am a full A*, admissions officers instinct tell them to not pick me after reading my Personal Statement. A sudden influx in Maths candidate for 2018/19 does not help my cause also.

I am actually quite cool with it, just that I been doing my UK VISA and funny things happen in my family because of UK VISA. I get to "appreciate" the complexity of living in a family. A bit occupied so I reply so late.

Actually getting rejected for Cambridge is a blessing in disguise, while my parents are able to sent me to Imperial comfortably, Cambridge is a bit difficult financially. Since I did not do so well in my scholarship interviews, I can say I made the right choice to go Imperial accidentally. I will destroy Cambridge next time during post grad if I feel like it, I can be a bit vengeful. :smile:
Reply 12
I'm torn between physics and aeronautical engineering (seriously that spacecraft engineering bit looks interesting as hell). I think I'm likely to get some pretty high predicted grades.
Original post by _JB_
Like bant_bus said, I actually don't really know. Probably because my UPM lower even though I am a full A*, admissions officers instinct tell them to not pick me after reading my Personal Statement. A sudden influx in Maths candidate for 2018/19 does not help my cause also.

I am actually quite cool with it, just that I been doing my UK VISA and funny things happen in my family because of UK VISA. I get to "appreciate" the complexity of living in a family. A bit occupied so I reply so late.

Actually getting rejected for Cambridge is a blessing in disguise, while my parents are able to sent me to Imperial comfortably, Cambridge is a bit difficult financially. Since I did not do so well in my scholarship interviews, I can say I made the right choice to go Imperial accidentally. I will destroy Cambridge next time during post grad if I feel like it, I can be a bit vengeful. :smile:

Hey that's exactly similar to my situation. Extra £10000 pounds for Cambridge does become quite burdening for my family as well but Imperial is fine.
Any physics applicants, I have been given an offer to study physics at Imperial, so if you have any questions that are specific then do let me know. 😃
Original post by Neutronhole
Any physics applicants, I have been given an offer to study physics at Imperial, so if you have any questions that are specific then do let me know. 😃

What was the offer?
2A* and A
A* in maths and A* A in any other subject,
IM doing maths FM , physics and chemistry
Original post by esrever
Hey that's exactly similar to my situation. Extra £10000 pounds for Cambridge does become quite burdening for my family as well but Imperial is fine.

Wait why is Cambridge so expensive?
I thought the tuition fees was similar? And the living expenses of london must be higher than cambridge right?
Wait why is Cambridge so expensive?
I thought the tuition fees was similar? And the living expenses of london must be higher than cambridge right?

Apart from living costs and tution fee, they also have college fees. I am not sure whether Cambridge is less expensive than London but both universities have estimated a rough £10000 yearly expenditure.
Original post by esrever
Apart from living costs and tution fee, they also have college fees.

Yeah true. Just saw that.
Damn just realised how expensive cambridge is hahaha for internationals.

Quick Reply

Latest