The Student Room Group

Medicine with poor A-Levels.

I have AAB grades in humanities subjects. Also got poor GCSEs mainly Cs and Ds.

If I sat three new A-Levels and got AAA would I be able to get into undergraduate medicine? (Not sure if GEM will exist by the time I come to apply)
Original post by ayyy2

If I sat three new A-Levels and got AAA would I be able to get into undergraduate medicine? (Not sure if GEM will exist by the time I come to apply)

Those aren't poor A levels.

Anyway yes if you feel so minded, then do three fresh ones including Biology and Chemistry. You have to complete within two years for nearly all unis. It will cost you circa £2,000.

You may want to look into an Access course, but they arent as widely accepted or as effective imo. Might only get you into foundation.
Original post by ayyy2

GEM will exist by then - idk why it wouldn't?

I'm not sure if you'll be considered, you'll have to contact the universities you want to apply too.
Original post by 999tigger

Those aren't poor A levels.

Anyway yes if you feel so minded, then do three fresh ones including Biology and Chemistry. You have to complete within two years for nearly all unis. It will cost you circa £2,000.

You may want to look into an Access course, but they arent as widely accepted or as effective imo. Might only get you into foundation.

I think the foundation courses are more competitive and they have GCSE reqs which would not let me apply.

What would be the best way to learn the A-Level content whilst holding down a full time job?
Original post by Kyber Ninja
GEM will exist by then - idk why it wouldn't?

I'm not sure if you'll be considered, you'll have to contact the universities you want to apply too.

I've read around here that universities are reducing their places for GEM. I'd probably be applying in like 5-6 years from now.

The GCSE requirements are a problem. Its weird that they'd still look at them even when I'm like 25-30 and have a degree.
Original post by ayyy2
I think the foundation courses are more competitive and they have GCSE reqs which would not let me apply.

What would be the best way to learn the A-Level content whilst holding down a full time job?

You would have to be very organised, bright and dedicated.
You are setting yourself up to get 3 As or greater in less time than you managed your previous set. Hard enough without the full time job.

If I were doing it then to increase my chances I would get the textbooks and teach myself plus get a job, then start the 2 year window when I was ready i.e had saved up enough money. Medicine hates resits.

As its one shot then I would be more interested in passing.
Original post by 999tigger
You would have to be very organised, bright and dedicated.
You are setting yourself up to get 3 As or greater in less time than you managed your previous set. Hard enough without the full time job.

If I were doing it then to increase my chances I would get the textbooks and teach myself plus get a job, then start the 2 year window when I was ready i.e had saved up enough money. Medicine hates resits.

As its one shot then I would be more interested in passing.

There's also the GCSE requirements. My current GCSEs would not meet most of their required grades. But would they still be relevant if I applied at like age 25-30?

Would three new A-Levels be classed as resits?
My A levels are doing bad too.

Please give me advice on revision efficiently.
Original post by ayyy2
There's also the GCSE requirements. My current GCSEs would not meet most of their required grades. But would they still be relevant if I applied at like age 25-30?

Would three new A-Levels be classed as resits?

I think so. You will have to contact the medical schools.
You might also consider doing the degree with foundation year as they might waive the GCSE requirement, then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending