The Student Room Group

2018 World Cup Cameramen

Why are there cameramen at this years tournament only trying to find attractive looking women in the crowd? This isn't by any means a complaint just curious.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dcarefree
Why are there cameramen at this years tournament only trying to find attractive looking women in the crowd? This isn't by any means a complaint just curious.

This happens at every televised sporting event and has been the case for as long as I can remember.

It's not even a sporting issue either. Go look at how any newspaper reports A Level results day, they will all lead with a group of girls jumping in the air and most photos published will be of women. You rarely, if ever, see a group of boys celebrating.

I'd be interested to get some perspectives from women on this, if they consider it offensive or sexist.
Reply 2
Lol every world cup or euros this happens.
Reply 3
The ladies are fiiiit
Rather that than show the ugly people
There seems to be fewer times this is done than previous World Cups or other events such as the Olympics. Given no Italy or the Netherlands at the tournament, perhaps that is why
Original post by sr90
This happens at every televised sporting event and has been the case for as long as I can remember.

It's not even a sporting issue either. Go look at how any newspaper reports A Level results day, they will all lead with a group of girls jumping in the air and most photos published will be of women. You rarely, if ever, see a group of boys celebrating.

I'd be interested to get some perspectives from women on this, if they consider it offensive or sexist.

As a woman this isn't the sort of thing that I manage to get worked up about and I would call myself a feminist. They will often pick out fans in fun costumes etc too.

In sports I'm far more concerned about, say, the gap in pay between women's and men's sports, the lack of research on women's sports performance, and trans individuals being allowed to compete against women in contact sports.

I'm pleased to see more female pundits and presenters at this world cup.
Reply 7
Original post by SarcAndSpark
As a woman this isn't the sort of thing that I manage to get worked up about and I would call myself a feminist. They will often pick out fans in fun costumes etc too.

In sports I'm far more concerned about, say, the gap in pay between women's and men's sports, the lack of research on women's sports performance, and trans individuals being allowed to compete against women in contact sports.

Great Post. Aluko in particular been a highlight for me
Reply 8

Isn't the main reason behind the pay gap in sports that more people (both men and women) want to watch mens sports.
Original post by Mess.
Isn't the main reason behind the pay gap in sports that more people (both men and women) want to watch mens sports.

It's a vicious circle though, because more people watch mens sport, it gets more coverage so less people are aware of women's competitions and they get less money. Obviously in recent years it is improving.

Also even in sports where both women and men are relatively equally watched (e. g. Tennis) there are still earnings gaps.

I'm not saying it should be imposed tomorrow but equally I don't think everyone should shrug their shoulders and say, oh it's fine and we shouldn't work towards more equality in sports pay.
Reply 10
It's a vicious circle though, because more people watch mens sport, it gets more coverage so less people are aware of women's competitions and they get less money. Obviously in recent years it is improving.

Also even in sports where both women and men are relatively equally watched (e. g. Tennis) there are still earnings gaps.

I'm not saying it should be imposed tomorrow but equally I don't think everyone should shrug their shoulders and say, oh it's fine and we shouldn't work towards more equality in sports pay.

In tennis specially there is a bit of a weird situation, whereby men and women are paid the same despite women only being authorised to play 3 sets, as opposed to the 5 by men in the grand slams. In addition, the mens half of the completion generates a significantly higher viewership than the female half the draw, so women pay in this regard is being artificially inflated on some sort of moral basis.

The sad thing about mens and women sports is that even if women have the same opportunities in sports as men, the mens game will always be watched first. This is not just due to history but because elite level men are better than elite level women at pretty much every sport.

People generally watch sports to watch the absolute best, not the best but within a niche.

Personally I don't think we should be working towards equal pay for entertainers (sports or movies etc) as the pay is dictated by market factors and pressures, more so than standard jobs.

Within the entertainment and sports industries, a persons pay should be dictated by what they are worth, not by what people think they should morally be paid.
Original post by Mess.
In tennis specially there is a bit of a weird situation, whereby men and women are paid the same despite women only being authorised to play 3 sets, as opposed to the 5 by men in the grand slams. In addition, the mens half of the completion generates a significantly higher viewership than the female half the draw, so women pay in this regard is being artificially inflated on some sort of moral basis.

The sad thing about mens and women sports is that even if women have the same opportunities in sports as men, the mens game will always be watched first. This is not just due to history but because elite level men are better than elite level women at pretty much every sport.

People generally watch sports to watch the absolute best, not the best but within a niche.

Personally I don't think we should be working towards equal pay for entertainers (sports or movies etc) as the pay is dictated by market factors and pressures, more so than standard jobs.

Within the entertainment and sports industries, a persons pay should be dictated by what they are worth, not by what people think they should morally be paid.

But women in tennis do earn way less--most of their earnings come from sponsorship etc not prize money and this disproportionately goes to men. Also women are less likely to get post career opportunities.

I just think you are looking at the status quo and accepting it as the natural order of things. But if women in sport were promoted at an equal level then they would have a greater earning capacity.

In movies it's even worse- so many films have 1 female character and 5 or 6 male actors. Where are the career opportunities for older women in cinema? And why don't middle aged women get to see themselves on screen?

I do agree that equal pay for well paid entertainers is not a high priority.

But I also think a lot more women and girls would be interested in sport if they saw more women and girls participating.

Anyway I'm not actually super interested in debating this, my original point was that there are clearly issues with sexism in sport but cameramen picking pretty girls out in the crowd personally isn't something that bothers me.
Original post by DSutch
There seems to be fewer times this is done than previous World Cups or other events such as the Olympics. Given no Italy or the Netherlands at the tournament, perhaps that is why

The Colombians are though:

Reply 13
During the England match I don’t remember seeing the English fans once until the end of the match. They kept showing Tunisian women.
(edited 5 years ago)
But women in tennis do earn way less--most of their earnings come from sponsorship etc not prize money and this disproportionately goes to men. Also women are less likely to get post career opportunities.

I just think you are looking at the status quo and accepting it as the natural order of things. But if women in sport were promoted at an equal level then they would have a greater earning capacity.

In movies it's even worse- so many films have 1 female character and 5 or 6 male actors. Where are the career opportunities for older women in cinema? And why don't middle aged women get to see themselves on screen?

I do agree that equal pay for well paid entertainers is not a high priority.

But I also think a lot more women and girls would be interested in sport if they saw more women and girls participating.

Anyway I'm not actually super interested in debating this, my original point was that there are clearly issues with sexism in sport but cameramen picking pretty girls out in the crowd personally isn't something that bothers me.

Here's the thing. The amount atheletes get paid depends on how much money they bring in. Take football for example. Waay more people watch men's football than women's, and the reason is simple, it is terrible. I don't know of it's lack of experience of the players or if it's due to biological differences, but it is incredibly slow, boring and at many points downright ridiculous. I tried watching a woman's football game once and it was exactly like like a men's football game, except being it was being played at 0.25 speed and by a bunch of awkward highschoolers. To give you a real life example instead of me rambling, the USA national women's team, previous world champions, were beaten 5-2 by an under 15 boys club. People will always go for the more exciting and immersive alternative that is men's football.
Original post by Radioactivedecay
Here's the thing. The amount atheletes get paid depends on how much money they bring in. Take football for example. Waay more people watch men's football than women's, and the reason is simple, it is terrible. I don't know of it's lack of experience of the players or if it's due to biological differences, but it is incredibly slow, boring and at many points downright ridiculous. I tried watching a woman's football game once and it was exactly like like a men's football game, except being it was being played at 0.25 speed and by a bunch of awkward highschoolers. To give you a real life example instead of me rambling, the USA national women's team, previous world champions, were beaten 5-2 by an under 15 boys club. People will always go for the more exciting and immersive alternative that is men's football.

Like I said I didn't actually make that post because I was interested in having the debate. Football isn't the only sport, and I hope we can all agree that male footballers are ridiculously overpaid.

Women's sports are not 1/100th of the quality, nor do they attract 1/100 of the viewing figures of men's sport yet only one woman is in the list of the top 100 paid sportspeople.

www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-41685042
Reply 16
Like I said I didn't actually make that post because I was interested in having the debate. Football isn't the only sport, and I hope we can all agree that male footballers are ridiculously overpaid.

Women's sports are not 1/100th of the quality, nor do they attract 1/100 of the viewing figures of men's sport yet only one woman is in the list of the top 100 paid sportspeople.

True but end of the day supply and demand. Same can be said for musicians who get overpaid or actors. The wage gap probably closer due to getting high quality actresses and having female musicians who sell out stadiums like e.g. Taylor swift, Jennifer Lawrence or Beyonce.

They are 1/100th of the quality at best though. As evidenced by the u15 boys beating the best women's team. How many men's teams do you think would beat that same u15s boys team? It would be hundreds if not thousands. Serena wouldn't beat any man in the top 200 of the mens tennis rankings either.

As for attendances, won't be far off. What's the annual total of the Premier League attendance vs Super League? Bundesliga vs women's equivalent?
Original post by sr90

I never actually realised that but I don’t really mind. I think we need to accept that even though it might be slightly sexist, we are growing up in what used to be a very male dominated world and has only started equal out between the sexes. Hopefully in the future women are not seen as ‘objects’ and men aren’t seen as ‘strong unemotional’ people.
Original post by Wilfred Little
They are 1/100th of the quality at best though. As evidenced by the u15 boys beating the best women's team. How many men's teams do you think would beat that same u15s boys team? It would be hundreds if not thousands. Serena wouldn't beat any man in the top 200 of the mens tennis rankings either.

As for attendances, won't be far off. What's the annual total of the Premier League attendance vs Super League? Bundesliga vs women's equivalent?

It isn't even a gender thing. Stars like Ronaldo, Messi etc get paid much more than the average footballer simply because they are better and more entertsining to watch which justifies their salaries. No team would pay a playet more than they bring in.

Quick Reply

Latest