The Student Room Group

Have I got depression or am I just over reacting?

Hey so I’ve come on here to ask for advice about this because I really don’t know what’s going on with my mental state and whether my thoughts are irrational and I need some help or whether I’m just overthinking everything? I’m a girl in late teens and for at least a year I’ve been feeling very bad about myself in terms of my appearance and body image that it’s completely affecting the way I perceive myself and has become really damaging to my self esteem. I’ve always has trouble with my weight and although I’m not overweight I have a real problem with my body and I feel as though I am overweight. I tried losing weight many times but failed. The last time I remember being happy with myself was 2 years ago when i was thinner because I got very ill and I lost a lot of weight because I couldn’t eat properly for a week. But it’s gotten to the point where I would actually consider being that ill again so I could lose the weight which sounds horrible and ridiculous and completely irrational but that’s how I’m thinking. However I don’t think the way I’m feeling is entirely because of body image- other things in the past and toxic friendships have contributed to this but I don’t know how to get myself out of it. I’ve talked to my mum about it but it hasn’t helped as she doesn’t understand why I would feel like this. So I’m going to see the GP but will I just get turned away because my issue isn’t serious enough and is just all in my head?
Sorry for this being so long would just really appreciate some advice
You won’t get turned away. Though I’m not a medical professional and do not know you personally, I would say that you show some signs of depression and body dysmorphia. You deserve to be helped with these and a I’m sure your GP will do everything in their power to do this.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey so I’ve come on here to ask for advice about this because I really don’t know what’s going on with my mental state and whether my thoughts are irrational and I need some help or whether I’m just overthinking everything? I’m a girl in late teens and for at least a year I’ve been feeling very bad about myself in terms of my appearance and body image that it’s completely affecting the way I perceive myself and has become really damaging to my self esteem. I’ve always has trouble with my weight and although I’m not overweight I have a real problem with my body and I feel as though I am overweight. I tried losing weight many times but failed. The last time I remember being happy with myself was 2 years ago when i was thinner because I got very ill and I lost a lot of weight because I couldn’t eat properly for a week. But it’s gotten to the point where I would actually consider being that ill again so I could lose the weight which sounds horrible and ridiculous and completely irrational but that’s how I’m thinking. However I don’t think the way I’m feeling is entirely because of body image- other things in the past and toxic friendships have contributed to this but I don’t know how to get myself out of it. I’ve talked to my mum about it but it hasn’t helped as she doesn’t understand why I would feel like this. So I’m going to see the GP but will I just get turned away because my issue isn’t serious enough and is just all in my head?
Sorry for this being so long would just really appreciate some advice

This sounds like body dysmorphia :frown:, im not certain but I think if left to its own devices this may take a turn to depression or eating disorders. Please see someone as It’s never worth suffering like this
I feel like nower days we need a label and diagnosis to feel things. I think it’s a good thing going to the doctor, he will probably refer you to counselling which will help raise your self-esteem which will help with the negative thoughts about your body. I actually have a similar issue to you, broke down yesterday because I couldn’t fit into a size 12, couldn’t even look at myself in the mirror. Depression is more to do with negative thought patterns as a whole; I hate the way I behave, I’m an idiot, I’m useless etc. It also effects your appetite and sleeping. Because this is specific to your body it could be body dysmorphia? Honestly I don’t know, but don’t feel rejected if you don’t get a diagnosis and instead are referred to counselling. You won’t get turned away as you deserve help on this issue, it’s horrible when you hate how you look, it’s subjective because the way we look at ourselves in so much detail, spotting every curve and fault, when no one else even notices. Also there’s this thing called better help, it’s an app for 18/over, which offers professional counselling for 1/4 of the price. Its basically where you pick a counsellor (there are thousands - all have degrees) and you have them 24/7 to be able to talk to, video call, message or phone call. Obvs sometimes they won’t respond immediately because they have their own lives. Anyway that has helped me so maybe look into that if the waiting line is really long on nhs counselling?
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like nower days we need a label and diagnosis to feel things. I think it’s a good thing going to the doctor, he will probably refer you to counselling which will help raise your self-esteem which will help with the negative thoughts about your body. I actually have a similar issue to you, broke down yesterday because I couldn’t fit into a size 12, couldn’t even look at myself in the mirror. Depression is more to do with negative thought patterns as a whole; I hate the way I behave, I’m an idiot, I’m useless etc. It also effects your appetite and sleeping. Because this is specific to your body it could be body dysmorphia? Honestly I don’t know, but don’t feel rejected if you don’t get a diagnosis and instead are referred to counselling. You won’t get turned away as you deserve help on this issue, it’s horrible when you hate how you look, it’s subjective because the way we look at ourselves in so much detail, spotting every curve and fault, when no one else even notices. Also there’s this thing called better help, it’s an app for 18/over, which offers professional counselling for 1/4 of the price. Its basically where you pick a counsellor (there are thousands - all have degrees) and you have them 24/7 to be able to talk to, video call, message or phone call. Obvs sometimes they won’t respond immediately because they have their own lives. Anyway that has helped me so maybe look into that if the waiting line is really long on nhs counselling?

Thank you it’s helped hearing from someone whose going through the same thing. I think one of the hard parts is admitting this is a problem but I hate talking to my parents about it because I feel they take it as a failure in their parenting and it isn’t at all and they really have nothing to do with it. I feel so stupid because I am a size 10/12 which I know isn’t bad but I constantly hear people who are size 6 talk about how fat they are and I know everyone feels differently about themselves but it just makes me feel ****. Thank you for the recommendation on the app I will look at that
Original post by alicewxnderland
Thank you it’s helped hearing from someone whose going through the same thing. I think one of the hard parts is admitting this is a problem but I hate talking to my parents about it because I feel they take it as a failure in their parenting and it isn’t at all and they really have nothing to do with it. I feel so stupid because I am a size 10/12 which I know isn’t bad but I constantly hear people who are size 6 talk about how fat they are and I know everyone feels differently about themselves but it just makes me feel ****. Thank you for the recommendation on the app I will look at that

Yea I’m 17 and a size 12. I know how it feels, what has helped me as well is following Instagram accounts of people who aren’t size 6, because it helps me realise that even if you are bigger you can still be just as good looking and having a bit of “fat” isn’t a bad thing. If you want I’ll reply back with the insta accounts if not don’t worry. Also the average size of females in the UK is 14 which is crazy to me. So your way below the average size. Also recently I’ve got really into the gym, it helps me with body confidence because I’m doing strength things, and it’s such an amazing feeling getting physically stronger. I’m now wearing crop tops whilst working out which is massive for me because last year I was wearing jeans and jumpers in summer. Everyone has their own journey with this, however how your feeling is 100% okay, it’s your starting point, people saying “your not fat” isn’t going to help even though it’s true, counselling helps but also just helping yourself by learning to accept and love who you are right now.
I would have a chat with my GP. They won’t judge you. I am fat, but I’ve learned not to care now. Sadly, when you are younger, you have ideals in your mind, that you feel you need to meet, but other people can’t see what you’re going through. Maybe your GP can recommend some methods that might help you.

I think you should maybe make a list of 10 things, that you think are good about you. Maybe you have nice eyes or a great smile, or maybe you have a great sense of humour and are very loyal to your friends. Try to focus on those things and tell yourself one of the things off of this list.

Once you learn to love yourself and any flaws (easier said than done sometimes), then your confidence will grow, and you will feel better about yourself. Also, try to accept compliments, instead of dismissing them. I’m sure you have many beautiful qualities and characteristics, that you are just overlooking.

I hope you can find a way of helping you out of those feelings

Quick Reply

Latest