The Student Room Group

Walking across a heath question

I'm putting this question in the maths forum because it might be a maths vocabulary problem or something, the question says " some students on an expedition to reach the corner of a large rectangular area of Heathland, which is 4 km long and 2 kilometres wide. They need to reach the opposite corner as quickly as possible as they are behind schedule.they estimate that they could walk along the edges of the heath at 5 km per hour and across the heath at 4 kilometres per hour", in which my problem is that when they say across the heath do they mean to walk across it diagonally? 😄
Reply 1
Original post by Freedom physics
I'm putting this question in the maths forum because it might be a maths vocabulary problem or something, the question says " some students on an expedition to reach the corner of a large rectangular area of Heathland, which is 4 km long and 2 kilometres wide. They need to reach the opposite corner as quickly as possible as they are behind schedule.they estimate that they could walk along the edges of the heath at 5 km per hour and across the heath at 4 kilometres per hour", in which my problem is that when they say across the heath do they mean to walk across it diagonally? 😄

Yes, but it could be any direction you wanted. Diagonally is probably the quickest.
Original post by mqb2766
Yes, but it could be any direction you wanted. Diagonally is probably the quickest.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest